Reno

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I saw a news blurb on facebook saying he was attacked in a park and is fighting for his life. Any other news? He was one of my favorites when I was a grom.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Leprechaun comparisons aside

That we as a society have come to think this sort of thing - a little homeless guy in his 70s being beaten within inches of his life, for whatever reason - is somehow acceptable in the big scheme of things - WTF?

It's largely an attitude of permissiveness towards homelessness that got us here.

Even the homeless say it - there's a bunch of enabling do-gooders that make it really fvckin easy to live as a homeless addict.

On top of the morons throwing money to panhandlers.

What is it gonna take before people start saying enough is enough?

James -Bummer Jim-Devlin

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2004
kauai- excramento
www.flickr.com
note from sister on fb

Zena Abellira Mattaino
Mahalo to Everyone concerned for my Brother Reno Abellira Let me set a few things straight... Reno was found Un- responsive on Wed. morning at entrance to Ala Moana Beach Park and taken to Queens for an Emergency Bleeding Brain Surgery. No one knows when the bleeding started? He has had a few Altercations and he had been having headaches for a few weeks... Several months ago he went to emergency from being hit in the head by someone while he was sleeping in a tent on North Shore. The Dr. said the Surgery went well, but Reno is still in a Coma w/ swelling. Please Continue to pray!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Mental illness is the problem
Yes.

This falls under the "permissive attitude towards homelessness" category. Two main subsections under this category include:

Subsection (C) - The blissfully unaware/willfully ignorant of crazy "They're just down on their luck. Everyone is just one paycheck away from being out on the streets!"

and

Subsection (D) - The "It's their right to be a crazy nuisance on the street" and there's nothing we can do about it subsection.

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Having a lot of homeless wandering really signals a lack of safety.

I always reflect on how if you life the free life when you are young what happens when you are old?

It's scary and sad.

Then I think about my generous state worker retirement package that I have been paying into for the last 25 years. :monkey:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Leprechaun comparisons aside

That we as a society have come to think this sort of thing - a little homeless guy in his 70s being beaten within inches of his life, for whatever reason - is somehow acceptable in the big scheme of things - WTF?

It's largely an attitude of permissiveness towards homelessness that got us here.

Even the homeless say it - there's a bunch of enabling do-gooders that make it really fvckin easy to live as a homeless addict.

On top of the morons throwing money to panhandlers.

What is it gonna take before people start saying enough is enough?

enough what?

Reno was/is a wild dude. Last time I saw him was probably 5- 10 years ago, arm in arm with a tall, waifishly thin, very young man, both in fur coats and sunglasses. And 1-2 small dogs. He's always had that look about him, but he's been nothing but gracious with the people I know.

Last edited: