Remember "Fun Boards" from the late 90s?

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Still on my nostalgic kick...

Just doing my usual browsing for used boards on CL and saw a mid length (7'0) board, a late 90's "fun board."

I remember they were a fad for a couple seasons (95/96/97) the tail end of the "modern" longboard craze and the go to board for most surf shops selling to beginners. Round nosed longer thrusters, but not mini-longboards.

Anybody ever remember having a good one? Remember the Hobie Peter Pan "Slug" ??

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/westminster-70-funboard-surfboard/7038244792.html

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I distinctly remember the Nev Retro Rocket. Buddy had one (local shaper not a Nev) I borrowed one day as a grom maybe 10 or 11and surfed a thigh high point wave breaking off a groin, I remember feeling like Curren linking sections I never had previously done on my 6'3-17 3/4" Elf Shoe HPSB.

Reactions: Homie and grendel95

Brrr

Nep status
Mar 4, 2008
Roe Dylin
www.worshipskateboards.com
Still on my nostalgic kick...

Just doing my usual browsing for used boards on CL and saw a mid length (7'0) board, a late 90's "fun board."

I remember they were a fad for a couple seasons (95/96/97) the tail end of the "modern" longboard craze and the go to board for most surf shops selling to beginners. Round nosed longer thrusters, but not mini-longboards.

Anybody ever remember having a good one? Remember the Hobie Peter Pan "Slug" ??

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/westminster-70-funboard-surfboard/7038244792.html
The Slug is a great board, catches anything and you can actually turn it . They used to be plentiful here in Rhode Island (go figure lol). I scored a really good used for my daughter to learn on. I would much rather see locally made funboards as opposed to the plague of soft top POS boards I see everywhere once the weather gets nice.

Reactions: Havoc

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Remember: a fun board must be surfed like a HP thruster. There is nothing sexier than a middle-aged banker twerking on his 7'6 thruster with a knee leggie and it's all happening out on the shoulder, with you watching from the foam ball with gritted teeth.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I rode 7’4 , 7’6 funboards in 93-95. I got pretty fat and had low motivation to lose weight. Plus short boards were longer than now 6’1ish but narrow, thin and a lot of rocker. It was also the “modern longboard” revival. Worse than sups. Those funboards were super fun. Hacks, barrels, floaters. As I lost weight and got in better surf shape the funboards got shorter. 6’10, 6’8. I think my last one was 6’6. That board was one of the fastest boards I ever rode up to that point.

My sister managed a surf shop so I got trade-ins. I went to trade in and order another funboard but my friend Ron talked me into trading in for a CI Flyer. The CI’s used to be made here. I think it was 6’3. That board got me back on shortboards. Surfing is more fun if you can catch waves. But if you’re being a dick in the lineup it doesn’t matter what you ride logs, funboard, sup, foil, you’re just a dick.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
back in the mid 90's had jamie ellett at open ocean in hermosa shape me a 7'2" stubb vector knockoff. it was thin like 2-1/4" but wide. caught waves like a longboard but u cud still turn it. wish i still had it. i'd get it scanned. to this day, nothing really went like that boar.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
My first board was one of those mid 90s fun boards. An HIC Garduque 7'0. I was only 80 lbs at that the time so it caught everything. haha.

I used to ride high performance longboards and mid lengths because no one at the time was really doing wider and thicker performance short boards. I remember the dims used to be ridiculous and not rideable for a 240 lbs person.

Reactions: teeroi

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I had a 7'10" Double Ender from Pat Ryan (Gumby) at E.T. Surfboards in Hermosa Beach. It was a tri fin with glass ons. That was a truly "fun" board. It could handle everything from beach breaks, The Cove, points, reefs. I even took it to Hawaii a couple of times and had a blast. Eventually I sold the board for a Bonzer but I kept the template and rocker measurements because, who knows? maybe one day I'll resurrect it. gpsCVr6.gif

Reactions: teeroi

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
1994 got a Russell 6-10 blue meanie
AL Dove shape
Could ride it in anything and did but I used to get rides to San O in the summer and hang out all day and it was perfect
In 1999 I went to Hawaii and took it . I don't know the names of the South shore spots I surfed but I sure did have fun for 5 straight days .

7-10 Parmenter vector nui and 6-10 Rusty Zeplin are kinda filling this part if the quiver now . The parmy is magic IMG952176.jpg

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I used to ride high performance longboards
You would think high performance longboard is an oxymoron. But I saw this during the past summer. Lance Hookano, who made a career riding hp longboards has been coming out to Bowls a bunch. He’s punchy but has mellowed out somewhat. One day he was out and a bunch of longboarders came out. Rippers in that style of surfing. He told them if you can’t surf like us, making straight up motion with his hand, you gotta sit way inside. One of them or some shortboarder who didn’t know better said something that ticked Lance off. He yelled why like see. He took a right nugget and hit it vertically three, four times. Each hit he looked back at whoever pissed him off and yelled, LIKE THIS, LIKE THIS.

The loggers sat inside after that. The rest of us on short boards were rolling. One of the funniest things this past summer.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
First time to Hawaii I was amazed watching the "uncles" completely ripping sizable Mkaha on full on tankers.