Relocating to San Diego - What neighborhoods should I be looking at?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Guys, he wants to be a bartender. I've had several friends in SD who were bartenders. 20+ years later they still are. Showing up for corporate gigs once a quarter is a lot different than trying to make it in a flooded job market. If you have money, and time, and can surf mid to late mornings, SoCal is a lot of fun.

AJ, you've already said you don't like surfers, or kiters from the NW, but you can be charming when you want to be. Sounds like you should get a job with the other sociopaths in Hollywood management. You'll fit right in!

People don't appreciate my ability to think outside the box...

Even mid late mornings r crowded. Nobody works anymore down here

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yeah, but NOW would you want to be starting from scratch in SD and working in the service industry? That's a big pool of similar people fighting for those coveted bar gigs. It may be cheaper that LA, but if I was single and looking to surf/live somewhere, I would get a hell of a lot more creative in creating a future for myself. It's tough to make it in SoCal. Go somewhere that is going to offer a chance to get ahead, not just tread water. If I were talking to myself 20 years ago, that's what I would say.

Agree.

Not that it's even tough to make it (a large part of this depends on what you "need" to spend your money on - i.e. hanging out in craft breweries, nice car, etc? kids? can you tolerate having roommates?) but the changes being pushed in various cities around the country are just going to make life more expensive and restrict your freedom of movement.

San Diego for instance has been fiending to implement a congestion tax/toll system, and a per mile tax is coming everywhere. So if you live 5 miles from the beach your surf checks might start getting expensive. In Bay Park the Morena Corridor plan passed - density will be increasing by 15,000 from the Bay Ho area down to the Morena neighborhood. Parking requirements have been lifted in this area so if you plan to own a car in the coming years, good luck (for instance the newest 9 unit construction down my street includes 1 parking space). It's not just San Diego, it's pretty much everywhere, and a lot of it is driven by city "climate action" plans.

If my wife and I weren't contentedly locked in by good occupational situations we would be looking to live outside the United States.

You're one person who doesn't have to worry about anyone but yourself...so you're versatile; you should consider this option.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
#blessed. New York doesn’t get good very often but when it’s on it can really turn on, and it’s all 400 yards from my front door. My career is very much New York based. Sure I can get a lot done remotely and often close 6 figure deals whilst surfing in exotic locales, but the ad industry and most of my core clients are based here, so here is where I will stay while the getting is good. the second stage of my long term plan towards financial independence is under way, with years of earning (and more acquisitions hopefully) ahead of me in an exasperating and high stress world, but even 12 years into it, having six figure weeks of billing, closing fat deals with new clients etc, balances out some of the banality and stress. I have hands off management (except when they check in on me to make sure I am still mentally in one piece lol) because if you want big bucks it takes a lot of expertise, hard work, stress, roller coaster commission pay outs, etc and a LOT of good luck, to live in ANY of these A grade coastal DMA’s with a comfortable existence and some leftover to save for the future, invest in spouses and real estate and index funds etc.
Weird flex but okay

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It's mid-February. Right about mid-February each year Subway is going to start thinking about that picture IBG just posted, hell the slop I surfed, and wondering.

Should subway have moved to SD? What is it like to wear shorts in February? What is it like to not wear a hood in February? Where are the slate grey skies heavy with the threat of 'wintry mix'? Ahhh, 'wintry mix'. The anti rubber duckie of surfbathtime!

• Haha
Reactions: gbg and LifeOnMars

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Fucking firing this morning. Subway gets 2 solid surf trips a year and other mini trips. He's scoring NY when its good.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Chest to shoulder high sets yesterday. Head high sets today.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
surfed decent waves today, wife just left to pick up one of our groms at a friends and said i'm gonna grab some mexican food, its gonna taste awesome, #sdlife

Reactions: gbg

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
surfed decent waves today, wife just left to pick up one of our groms at a friends and said i'm gonna grab some mexican food, its gonna taste awesome, #sdlife
Mods—please move this to the Mexican Food thread.
Also, b.r. — where is your go to Mexican joint?

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
Listen up,

I'm gonna chime in here as a 50 year-old San Diego native. Most of those commenting on this thread were either not born here or don't live here presently... yet, seem to know all there is to know about SD. STFU.

OP - we don't need any more people here - but aim for downtown, La Jolla area.

Reactions: Ifallalot and afoaf