Relocating to San Diego - What neighborhoods should I be looking at?

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
traffic traffic is a real thing too, if you can live near your work your life is exponentially better in this overcrowded county, my commute is about 2 songs. when i do a strike mission to a surf spot thats not close by and get caught in the traffic and look at all the people in their cars i wonder how do they do it? my wife had a good job but her territory was from the border to oceanside and the driving sucked, so she found a job up here, less pay but more happiness. good luck

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
traffic traffic is a real thing too, if you can live near your work your life is exponentially better in this overcrowded county, my commute is about 2 songs. when i do a strike mission to a surf spot thats not close by and get caught in the traffic and look at all the people in their cars i wonder how do they do it? my wife had a good job but her territory was from the border to oceanside and the driving sucked, so she found a job up here, less pay but more happiness. good luck
Traffic is easy compared to the Bay Area or LA/OC. I've lived in all three areas and SD had the easiest traffic

Reactions: santacruzin

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
Just make sure not to mention GEO or Fern Glen Sandra or else you're automatically black balled.
Last time i was there was with GEO oh man 8
is all i can say

Sandra still alive?

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Not much to add beyond what had been said, I recommend north county and have lived on and off between Del Mar, Cardiff, and leucadia. I grew up in rancho Bernardo.

I am not a fan of the PB raging party vibe and all the riff Raff in south county. There’s exponentially more homeless people. I do like sunset cliffs though.

moving inland doesn’t really save you money unless you move super far inland

in terms of surf it sucks compared to Santa Cruz. I was sorely disappointed when I moved back from Santa Cruz and like wise even more when I moved from the gold coast.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Can't give you any info on SD but it's a bummer to see you move. Thought you were Stretch's right hand man?

Last edited:

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
I was born and raised in San Diego and don't plan on ever leaving....

My girlfriend(now wife) and I lived on almost every street in OB(San Diego) during the 90's until we were able to buy a home in Point Loma/Loma Portal about 12 years ago. While the troll/homeless situation has gotten out of hand in OB over the past 5-8 years, it's still an awesome, really fun place to be, and close to all kinds of different surf breaks. It all depends on what you want.....

A gentrified/"safe", mostly all white area(Del Mar, Solana Beach, Encinitas)?
A diverse, "hippyish", "anything goes" area(OB/San Diego)?
A fun, party town with lots of young people and tons of nightlife(Mission Beach, PB)?
An expensive place with quick access to the best surf in San Diego and the best tips(La Jolla)?

All are within 30 minutes of Downtown San Diego, airport, etc....

Last edited:
Reactions: tedshred5

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Every time I’ve visited San Diego I’ve had the feeling I want to live there someday. Someday is now.

I’d like a studio or 1 br within 20 minutes of the beach. I’m planning on getting a job waiting tables or bar tending til I figure out what’s next, so I’d like to be close to an area where the tips will be good.

There are some places in Ocean Beach and Pacific Beach that seem appealing, but I haven’t spend enough time in either of those areas to know if that’s where I want to live. I really like Del Mar because of the dog beach and general vibe. I’m more into kitesurfing than surfing now and it looks like the sanctioned areas for that are around mission bay??

I emailed about a place in sunset cliffs???

Thanks
Move to Oahu like I suggested a few years ago

You can do Epoxy glassing and that is an opening there

If its good you could do Erics and in that group you will rapidly learn more than anywhere else - lots of Kitesurfing there and Maui .
Great Kiteboard designs to spock out too .

Last edited:

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
i miss winter in sd - waves get real good in winter - lots of options - good beer - mexican food

its called americas finest city for a reason

miss it but it was fun today here - mellow crowd but putting on wet trunks is a drag

9B0290CC-DF3C-4B3E-9C1F-E5A12F46715B.jpeg90560B93-C5ED-4068-AD72-88ADC5BCFA16.jpeg