Relocating to San Diego - What neighborhoods should I be looking at?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Sounds snarky, but it's really the best advice. Rosarito to TJ playas is prime surf/living territory. The number of people commuting over the border to work in San Diego is quite astounding.

Every morning, thousands of CA plated cars pass through the Sentri lanes. Every afternoon, traffic can back up slightly on the 5 for those returning to MX via El Chaparral.

One of the (not so) great secrets of the Wall: it doesn't block/restrict flow for 98% of the people, either MX or US citizens. There are always tons of Baja plated cars in the Sentri lanes.

You may have noticed I mentioned Sentri a few times. If you cannot pass the background check for global entry, then disregard all of the above.

If you can, then you can enjoy being a first hand witness to the full economic linkage between SoCal and N Baja that is taking place. It's one of the great present/future trends*, so while the same old losers continue to complain instead of paying attention to what's going on, those with a clue are already in position.

*As every surfer knows - either intuitively or actually - population growth (as registered by increasingly crowded line ups) is an exponential function. That is, the doubling rate @ only 2% growth is 35 years. IOW, Calif will grow from a population of 40m to 80m in the next 35-40 years.

This dynamic is driving a lot of equity both out of the state and south of the border. Either figure it out and get with the program, or mope about and complain. Your choice - no one gives sh!t which option you choose.
I used to think about this during college. I loved going down to Northern Baja to surf and it was never as crowded as California. I'm sure there is nice places to live with good security.

saucerboy

Nep status
Aug 10, 2009
Santa Cruz
AJ, thanks for helping me out with a few boards over the years. I lived in Encinitas for a while before coming up to Santa Cruz. I really enjoyed it down there all through SD county. My now wife lived in La Jolla. Part of me misses it enough at times that I day dream about moving back down there. I found it to be a little cheaper than Santa Cruz. Not sure if that's still true.

Had a friend that lived in PB for a while. Fun to visit him but I was too old to want to actually live there. That dog beach in Del Mar is nice and there's good surf around. I don't recall seeing anyone kite in north SD county though.

Good luck with the move!

Reactions: averagejoe

OBSurvivor

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 25, 2013
As indicated above, I'd find a job in a coastal town then decide where to live from there. You could have a job downtown and find something in Bay Park and be pretty happy. Accessible to a lot of what you're looking for.
Recommend Bay Park too. PB nearby if you end up working that scene. The 5 Highway super close by which is gateway to anywhere you wanna go - downtown, north county & every beach town.

Also Mexican Food sucks in the beach towns. You have to explore inland to find the good taco shops .

Last edited:
Reactions: bluemarlin04

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
I think I met you out in the water a few years back at the other San Diego somewhere South. I'm in Bay Ho/ University City just East of LJ and in prime location to get to and from all SD zones. Beaches, airport, Little Italy, North County, etc, all quick strikes and easily accessible via 5 and 52.

Its usually tough landing a restaurant industry job in the PB/LJ zone unless you have a connection and know someone who can hook you up and get you in. I recommend looking at bars/lounges in Little Italy as its ALWAYS jamming and the punani talent down there nowadays is next level!

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Forget IB...too far from everything but TJ...I've lived in SD my whole life, first half in SD/PL and now No. County...SBD has solid takes...

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
If you value nature /open space / trees / wildlife, then I'd imagine you'll miss SC pretty quick.

Avoid NCSD unless you like hanging with hipster couples in their late 30's with 2.5 kids and surfing mushy closeouts 98% of the time.

If I was forced to move back down there, La Jolla or North PB would be my first choices and I would rarely leave. Getting to the freeway from LJ sucks. Once you get to the freeway, the traffic sucks there as well.

Second choice would be Mission Hills. Access to LJ, PB, MB, OB, Downtown, and IB is easy if traffic is flowing (rare). Tons of good restaurants close by in North Park, Hillcrest, South Park, ect....

Third choice would be OB heights/Point Loma. OB heights because all the bums that live in OB don't like to walk up the steep hills. Keeps the riff raff away.

All those places are expensive, but so is SC.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
If you can do it ($), North of 8 and West of 5. Expect a decent return on your property investment when the LA type traffic and drivers lead you to near insanity!

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
I think I met you out in the water a few years back at the other San Diego somewhere South. I'm in Bay Ho/ University City just East of LJ and in prime location to get to and from all SD zones. Beaches, airport, Little Italy, North County, etc, all quick strikes and easily accessible via 5 and 52.

Its usually tough landing a restaurant industry job in the PB/LJ zone unless you have a connection and know someone who can hook you up and get you in. I recommend looking at bars/lounges in Little Italy as its ALWAYS jamming and the punani talent down there nowadays is next level!
yep - that was me at the other San Diego

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of punani :)
there are some decent, affordable looking places in north park - what’s your take on that?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Third choice would be OB heights/Point Loma. OB heights because all the bums that live in OB don't like to walk up the steep hills. Keeps the riff raff away.

Have you personally verified this?

Not sure about OB but I live in Bay Park vicinity and they seem to have no issue making the steep haul to the top.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
lived west of mission beach blvd and la jolla blvd forever - great place - get yourself there

now stuck in bali but west of sunset road
same same

get to the shack

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Have you personally verified this?

Not sure about OB but I live in Bay Park vicinity and they seem to have no issue making the steep haul to the top.
My wife used to live in OB heights. She verified.

Is it a 100% exclusion rate? No, but bum traffic is drastically less than the rest of OB.