Refusing the vaccine?????

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
My employer mandates the flu vaccine, but if you opt out (or opted out) you had to wear a mask at work (I think). I just got shot #2 of Moderna and I felt pretty damn sick with chills and body aches for about 10 hours on the day after I got it. Thinking that's a positive, that my immune system is being "ramped up" so to speak.
You’ve most likely been exposed pre-vaccination.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
90% of the population needs to be vaccinated
If you’ve had covid the vaccine is unnecessary.

Source is Paul Offit, who btw said he will not get the vaccine until “a few million” doses have been administered and characterized giving these mRNA vaccines to the public now is the real clinical trial.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I think it's fair to make a vaccination a term of employment

I'm fine with people refusing it as long as they understand their employment is at will and
it may limit their ability to enjoy some of the perks of modern life....school, air travel, etc
Of the approximately dozen people I know who work in the medical treatment field only one of them is getting the vaccine (voluntarily). He’s a pharmacist.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
guinea pigs. Of the about a dozen I know, all have gotten it. Only one who didn't want to, but shes a nurse and had to.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Of the approximately dozen people I know who work in the medical treatment field only one of them is getting the vaccine (voluntarily). He’s a pharmacist.
non sequitur, but one I can relate to; I am not clamoring to get it at the moment

the point was that it's certainly within an employer's right to require it

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
non sequitur, but one I can relate to; I am not clamoring to get it at the moment

the point was that it's certainly within an employer's right to require it
Is it though?

I know an employer can require such things of a new employee (ie: they enter into an agreement before getting the job) but I’m not so sure that an employer can say to a current employee that they have to have a specific medical procedure done or they are fired.

I think it’s legal to require but I’m not sure about how far they can really push it.

Also it would open the employer up to liability if the employee has a bad reaction....

I‘m not requiring my employees to take it, and considering what we do we could probably get pretty close to the front of the line (we’re exposed to the public daily in similar numbers to a grocery store worker).

Reactions: Ifallalot

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
ah, that's a good point re: retroactivity

I don't know

it doesn't seem anyone's really gone out on the limb and made it a hard
and fast requirement of (ongoing) employment.

it will be interesting to see how things shake out legally around all this...

not just re: vaccines at work, but also exposure/infection liabilities, etc

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
Oftentimes, sweeping generalizations are the most correct.
Okay, perhaps a sweeping generalization might be used to get a less knowledgeable enemy to make one of those dreaded 'predictable mistakes', but that's about it. That's a reason for understanding fallacy--to avoid the mistake the author hopes you will make in response.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
If you’ve had covid the vaccine is unnecessary.

Source is Paul Offit, who btw said he will not get the vaccine until “a few million” doses have been administered and characterized giving these mRNA vaccines to the public now is the real clinical trial.
I’m not sure that’s correct, nor do I agree with that assessment. The half-life of monoclonal antibodies to corona is not well understood, so everyone should be getting the vaccination.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
This place runs on sweeping generalizations and stereotypes.

My wife's coworkers are running about 60% vaccinated with stragglers increasingly giving it up as things get worse in the unit. The docs are 100%.

Reactions: JBerry

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I’m not sure that’s correct, nor do I agree with that assessment. The half-life of monoclonal antibodies to corona is not well understood, so everyone should be getting the vaccination.
I’ll go with Paul Offit over some guy on the internet when it comes vaccines and infectious diseases.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
This place runs on sweeping generalizations and stereotypes.

My wife's coworkers are running about 60% vaccinated with stragglers increasingly giving it up as things get worse in the unit. The docs are 100%.
Well, that's a pretty good endorsement of the vaccine

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
When you so generously get your employees vaccinated, don't have them all vaccinated on the same day, particularly the second dose, to prevent them from all being post-vac sick at the same time.