Refuckulation thread.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
No idea. Probably got stuck in a clam.
Oh how I wish that were true.

Sorry all, I've been on the lowdown...haven't proned for ages but I'm going through a second grommethood (or is it third?) with wing dinging.

Very little refuckulation as my work area has shrunk...but I am making a large quantity of moonshine in place of boards and foils...you'll all be interested to know that corn dust is every bit as irritating as carbon fibre.

Get some.

Last edited:

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
LOL! I am making apple cider and buying store-bought wings rather than refuckulated DIYs and wingdinging obsessively too. That is too close to be a coincidence, maybe the start of a new zombie apocalypse....BRAINS! BRING MORE COPS! <obscure movie reference for you>

Jan 12, 2020
Yo, I'm really surprised at how much I love Winging too. I"m building a new 5'0" board after a couple of months on my 6'4" SUP.

It started as a way to get some time on foil and now I'm skipping surf to go play when there's wind. I think the biggest surprise is how once you know how the wing works, how easy it is to "park it" and just foil.

I'll not hijack but I'll just leave with this. I'm just starting to get the parking thing figured out but the feeling is different than the look and I think that puts some surfers off. The wing doesn't feel like some 10' giant thing when you've parked it. It feels like holding a tiny piece of cardboard in one hand while you surf. it weighs nothing and doesn't pull at all. But when you need the juice, that cardboard can accelerate you to 20MPH just by grabbing it with both hands for a bit.

Glad you are stoked.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Ride 'm Cowboy. I will further derail the thread to froth out more -- pretty rad when you grab that top handle, suddenly it feels just like foil surfing, kinda like you got a personal jet ski assist. I was cheating, holding onto to first handle, but it doesn't work quite right, wing isn't fully luffed ... I found once it has zero power, my stance adjusts, as I don't have quite the same balance point while under wing power as when I am wave riding. This has been most noticable in overfoiling when dropping into more significant waves ... if in proper stance, I can drop in just fine. Obviously I am leaning back more when winging, probably something to work on.

Agree about the tiny cardboard, except in onshore lighter winds, sometimes find the wing is right in front of me, have to kinda lift it overhead, which is awkward and not-so-great.

Anyways back to refuckulating, post some pics of your board build!

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
It started as a way to get some time on foil and now I'm skipping surf to go play when there's wind. I think the biggest surprise is how once you know how the wing works, how easy it is to "park it" and just foil.

Glad you are stoked.
After all this time I finally got some productive sessions with lumps and actual swell and I have to say the "park and ride" thing is amazing.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Yes! Now I want wind everyday! No crowds, and just continuous riding and waves.
I love winging for that, takes non-wind chasing surfers and opens up the wonders of wind. I have seen quite a few surf buddies transition into kiting and the resulting froth overload is awesome to see. Still have a few wind-hating long-term surf buds, my wife included, and I remain hopeful that easier learning curve for winging will help convince them to try. It is a major bonus to take all those crap blown out days and make them magic.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I have a couple of new refux on the boil.

i bought a cheap windsurf foil rig...its got the long fuse and very small wings. I’m going a couple of ways with this.
27EFB0C5-FE21-4C3A-BFDF-1F61189142C7.jpeg
I like going fast, so I’m going to try it as is in high wind. Second thing is to flip it around and make a canard setup. I just think canards would be awesome for winging. Anyway, the tuttle bolt holes don’t line up with my gf track mount so I’m going to have to ghetto my way out of that conundrum.

Next, a mate gave me a skunkworks wing from some DW r&d. It’s basically a spicey 910. I’m going to get it on my GF fuse as a wing DW rig. My 210 is too slow and blimpyfor me now I’m hanging onto inflatey Katie all day.

60D9F06F-16FD-4C8D-939C-2C9C5AC4A799.jpeg09FEA58B-D0E8-414B-BDF3-3E8A25F109DF.jpeg2168AD85-C2D0-498D-BCA0-C99FC79BD004.jpeg

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I could, I should but it’s a lot of work and my current shed setup isn’t conducive...I mean I’ve got the sour mash to look after now.

i think I’ll go to ply for wings from now on, it brings a lot of strength with it and is easy to shape with a planer.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I finished it off and winged it. It goes alright, pretty glidey. Interesting that it has some flex from the wood core and minimal layup. Very smooth compared to GF wings but maybe it’s absorbing a bit of energy and feels a bit ambiguous in turns. I might have to beef it up.

I was stressing balls about using my setup as the “male” to bag the mount on. No matter how much tape and mold release you use it is super hard to get the part off. Stoked I came up with this ghetto solution..
5C8B92DD-2B01-4C93-B56C-675BD009E2E2.jpeg
65E0752A-DFB2-46A5-A83B-F9CA4A5C022D.jpeg