Refuckulation thread.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I forgot to say...yep the
Clammy that wing is Huuuge!

I got to fondle the GL wings the other day, super nice construction.
GL's are beautiful, very light and shiny but I put a crack along my leading edge on about session 2. I'm pretty sure it was a paddling doink, as opposed to a full on impact.

It did seem to seep a little water, so I'm keeping an eye on it.

Answer was no for the warranty claim...

In can't fault the performance, but it was a very expensive wing so I hope it stays together.

Reactions: grendel95

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
I forgot to say...yep the

GL's are beautiful, very light and shiny but I put a crack along my leading edge on about session 2. I'm pretty sure it was a paddling doink, as opposed to a full on impact.

It did seem to seep a little water, so I'm keeping an eye on it.

Answer was no for the warranty claim...

In can't fault the performance, but it was a very expensive wing so I hope it stays together.
wait what?
i thought Gofoil were 'THE' indestructible foil?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I'm bored and don't want to work, but there is no foiling news to read about. Clam carbon up your glider wings already and give some reviews. If you just found a way to co-opt other people's design work into foiling we'd could sidestep a huge expense in this sport.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I'm bored and don't want to work, but there is no foiling news to read about. Clam carbon up your glider wings already and give some reviews. If you just found a way to co-opt other people's design work into foiling we'd could sidestep a huge expense in this sport.
I'm waiting patiently for some carbon to arrive and then it's awwwnn. I've got a second different wing set coming too.

Im still thinking through the best way to do it.....looking forward to riding them though!

I've been surfing the sh!t out of my 210 and I'm frothing to get a thinner faster wing onto the setup I've been sessioning.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Not progress i know but I got some new wings in the mail......thinking either a 1m plus handkite/downwind cruiser or an 800 something surf shreddah.

It is unnervingly similar to a GL210 ......its almost like the first HA wings were actually just copied from glider wings........

Middle wing is the new one82AF76B9-A813-4325-A98D-45F5D81782FC.jpegDEF1EF98-12D1-44DB-935C-D61358D3DB23.jpegB612E3FE-F455-4840-A6D6-DB1AE6067335.jpeg

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
you're riding the GL210 prone?...i felt it had way too much lift for anything over waist high...oh man you gotta go get a GL180 its like the the 210 on steroids...and the GL140 is like the 180 again on nitrous...SOOOO...STINKIN...FASSSSST!

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
you're riding the GL210 prone?...i felt it had way too much lift for anything over waist high...oh man you gotta go get a GL180 its like the the 210 on steroids...and the GL140 is like the 180 again on nitrous...SOOOO...STINKIN...FASSSSST!
Yeah man, 180 prone. I'm loving it, but that is with the different stab/fuse setup that I've rigged to be really neutral. This wing has no sh!t made foiling so much better for me....it pumps amazingly, it's really fast with the trimmed stabs and it's pretty much downwind ready.

I'm starting to get some really good turns, sort of figure 8's front side and backside. They just feel so good when I can get a couple I think about them all week.

No amount of speed ends up being enough for very long so sometimes I wish I had the 180, but as the general level of information about wings from Gofoil sucked I took the safe option.....I could totally go for the 180 & 140 but they are just too expensive to have a quiver.

The slimmer wing pictured will be maybe a 180 for me.it is half the thickness, average chord is about the same as the 180 so it will be blistering.

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
The angle of the wing tip will dictate how well it gives lift when you turn.
If the anhedral angle is low it will allow a smooth turn with consistent lift.
A great change in wingtip angle will mean that you get a drop in smooth lift until that wingtip angle engages.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Something towards refuckulation ... I am pursuing a DIY project, making a wing similar to the GoFoil GL210. I can attach it to a flat bar fuselage used for my kite foil, but it sure would be nice to attach it the gofoil fuselage. I figure the easiest way to do that would be simply glass in the female receptacle from an existing wing. Any gofoil users out there have a broken wing and be willing to send the connector piece from the middle? If so, PM me....pay for postage and your time, plus karma points.

[and then suggestions for alternatives are welcome too...eg I am considering finding some of the form/mold release wax, placing it in desired location, then pour epoxy around it, pop it off the fuselage, and then glass it in place with many layers of carbon]

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Juan,
there are 3 or 4 ways to choose from...the best one I’ve used so far was to apply mold release to the spigot (after plugging the hole and taping over), then lay lots of
carbon around the spigot and vac bag it on. If you form a lip at the tail end of the part you can make a plywood tool to hit with a mallet to remove it.
thats how I did my tails.

9FB3F0EB-3CE6-42FE-B144-1B634A2A8CC8.jpeg4148FA14-A4A7-46AD-8DE4-00CECF4E1D15.jpeg.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Further to the GF tails thread Kaser started. I added a third hole to the GF spigot. Had to grind some of the fuse to accommodate the stab. Might even go one further forward....

I don't know if there is an agreed way to measure the fuse length for comparison between brands, but I measure from LE of main to TE of stab.

With the 210 and the Kai stab it's 750mm, the two new positions are 675 and 645mm.

I used the middle notch this morning, and the short one tonight. The turns are electric.

F1BAC7E2-897D-43C5-9337-663ECB79097C.jpeg80A3142B-54C3-473C-8EF4-22B40794A528.jpeg

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
have you seen that cloud9 give a 4 hole stab option as standard!!! thats some forward thinking from a brand, just need their foils to catch up a bit.

sick work clammy! that signature stab looks beautiful.

is that gofoil stab spigot mount a separate piece from the main fuse molding?

Reactions: Clamsmasher

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
have you seen that cloud9 give a 4 hole stab option as standard!!! thats some forward thinking from a brand, just need their foils to catch up a bit.

sick work clammy! that signature stab looks beautiful.

is that gofoil stab spigot mount a separate piece from the main fuse molding?
It's monolithic I think... There seems to be continuity from one entry to the othef

Jan 12, 2020
I will pitch in that a lot of designers in the foil industry have a background in gliders and R/C aircraft. Check the Progression Project episode with the UniFoil/Signature designer.

I’ll be that there are some good ideas out there in those gliders. Especially now that high aspect ratio wings are a thing.

Reactions: Clamsmasher

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Yes the wing this one came from was so similar to the 210.
problem is, the RC wings never have any stats, only span....