Recs to replace CI Black/White?

Jul 1, 2009
My OTR YOLO was stolen out of my car on Friday afternoon :-/

Stock 5'8" (23,3l) CI Black/White that I clicked with from the first wave. Worked in anything with a bit of curve thigh high to overhead. It was a game changer for me so I'm pretty inclined to just order a repeat.

But I thought I'd do some due diligence on what else is out there. 5'7" Pyzel Shadow looks the goods too. Both would be custom orders.

What does the erBB brain trust say is a good follow on from the CI B/W?

Me: 5'6", 132lbs/60kg. surf mainly in a 4/3, Cape Town waves or beachies/points south of Durban (see Dane Reynolds SITD for reference)

Thanks!

• Sad
Reactions: MathDebater

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Maybe CI's Two Happy? I've owned and liked most of Dane's models. Both Dane and Eithan Osborne are riding the Two Happy when the waves get better. They both ride their NB2's when things are less than stellar. They've both moved on from their B/W's they were riding a few years ago.

I know Dane loved the Pyzel 74, but didn't like a few other Pyzels he's ridden.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017
The black/white is my favourite board of all time, tried other boards but always came back to it. I rode a mates pyzel 74 which went heaps good, similar fast drivey feeling board. Pretty sure the highline is based off the 74 rocker so maybe go molest one of them in store?

Jul 1, 2009
Maybe CI's Two Happy? I've owned and liked most of Dane's models. Both Dane and Eithan Osborne are riding the Two Happy when the waves get better. They both ride their NB2's when things are less than stellar. They've both moved on from their B/W's they were riding a few years ago.

Why not the Fever? I see you also ride one.

Jul 1, 2009
So I ordered same dims stock B+W. It was about a 3 month gap between riding oldie and newie during which I rode Rusty twin fin and LBs and no HPSB thrusters.

From the first wave on the newie on a punchy overhead day it was like a pair of well-loved flip flops and it just clicked. Still a game changer board for me.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I always thought the black white looked like a fun board. Boy does it hold a lot of volume. A 6'0 x 19 1/8 x 2 1/2 is 31.5L.

Comparing that and the Two Happy they don't really seem like they come from the exact same similar lineage but if you like one, you might like the other.

The two happy definitely has a more balanced outline, seems like it might have a bit more rocker and double concave. I think the two happy is an awesome everyday HPSB but as you pointed out, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: weskussurfer
Jul 1, 2009
The two happy definitely has a more balanced outline, seems like it might have a bit more rocker and double concave. I think the two happy is an awesome everyday HPSB but as you pointed out, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Thanks I'll keep a look out for one. I can imagine the Two Happy being a good DD as they toned down the Happy. Local shop had an OG Happy in my dims which they offered to me at a heavily discounted price but it looked like a very refined good wave HPSB. I would also have had to acquire set(s) of Futures for it equalling out to just getting a new B+W.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
My OTR YOLO was stolen out of my car on Friday afternoon :-/

Stock 5'8" (23,3l) CI Black/White that I clicked with from the first wave. Worked in anything with a bit of curve thigh high to overhead. It was a game changer for me so I'm pretty inclined to just order a repeat.

But I thought I'd do some due diligence on what else is out there. 5'7" Pyzel Shadow looks the goods too. Both would be custom orders.

What does the erBB brain trust say is a good follow on from the CI B/W?

Me: 5'6", 132lbs/60kg. surf mainly in a 4/3, Cape Town waves or beachies/points south of Durban (see Dane Reynolds SITD for reference)

Thanks!
Yuri will put up a review of his new board quite soon!

May 9, 2018

If your thinking of the 74, id recomend going with the Highline, it is an unbelievably good board.

If you want to go with a Pyzel, Id say this is the most spicy standard shorty of their lot. Shadow is amazing on big walls and points but maybe a touch Stiff in Beachies.

Radius is incredible in pockety waves but slow sections it suffers. The Highline blends the two extremely well and has a really good range. Also has the zesty spice with the hip in the tail that we all know Dane loves. Makes for a skatey little rocket with a surprising amount of grip when you lean it over hard.

Hands down, the best board ive owned and im blown away that the hype isnt there for it.