Recommend A Step Up/Good Wave Board

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Found another couple of contenders in my research CI happy step up and Lost Round up, any thoughts?

Reactions: chilly1

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Found another couple of contenders in my research CI happy step up and Lost Round up, any thoughts?
I’ve seen/held a Happy step up and it looked/felt good. Never ridden one though.

Something that looked really interesting to me was a Rocket 9 step up...

Reactions: mundus

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
The 6’0 and 6’2 raging bull looked fun but 2 3/4 and 2 5/8 is a lot of foam, unless you’re going with GG’s most aggressive foil.

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
I have the lost Tube Pig....use small Accelerator fins from FCS which are smack in between a performer small and medium, so more of a medium small.

Find that narrow tail likes the smaller fin, and keeps it loose enough on a smaller section

I have two step ups, a classic 6'6 and a 6'0 tube pig. The tube pig paddles great for it's size but I use it when it's steep and if there isn't too much water moving around. the 6'6 for when the playing field is spread out.

So pretty much, if I was in Hossegor, i'd use the tube pig for Graviere and Capbreton, and the 6'6 for the sandbars La Nord and northwards

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Just a different set of dimensions for more fit and plus sized surfers, nothing else changed
It was a response to a comment about variations in tail widths on the Ghost.

The tail on mine is aggressively narrow (14" on a 5'11) and the tail on the newer ghosts doesn't look quite so pulled in. I wouldn't know without measuring a newer one though.
Have you looked at all three of the same length together?

6’2 widths

Ghost - 19 5/8
Pro - 19 1/4
XL - 19 7/8

No measurements of tails on the Pyzel site but if I had to guess I’d say all three tails are different.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I was specifically referring to the normal ghost, I think they widened the tail a touch at some point. I have no evidence to back up this claim :).

When the ghost pro came out the dude at Aqua SF was telling me he thinks they increased the rocker a tiny bit on that file. Again no evidence but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some differences in the normal, pro and XL files.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I was specifically referring to the normal ghost, I think they widened the tail a touch at some point. I have no evidence to back up this claim :).

When the ghost pro came out the dude at Aqua SF was telling me he thinks they increased the rocker a tiny bit on that file. Again no evidence but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some differences in the normal, pro and XL files.
The Pro has increased tail rocker, pinched rails and a narrower outline than the Ghost. I’ve never seen an XL.

As for nose rocker on the pro I think it may have slightly more but primarily due to shaving the rails and removing foam. The board just isn’t as beefy.

Reactions: ehiunno

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Shortcut looks more usable than the Ghost due to the slightly wider tail. Anyone riding?

Reactions: Lohena

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

I'd be a bit surprised by that. I feel like Pyzel doesn't have a tendency to make tweaks like that. They try and keep things pretty simple. They do have a wide tailed ghost just as an FYI.

The Ghost pro is just a set of slimmed-down dims for rippers who don't need a board as wide or thick as the standard Ghost. I think I asked them about it last time I ordered some boards.

I like the dudes at Aqua, they are chill, but I wouldn't take anything they say too seriously ;)

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'd be a bit surprised by that. I feel like Pyzel doesn't have a tendency to make tweaks like that. They try and keep things pretty simple. They do have a wide tailed ghost just as an FYI.

The Ghost pro is just a set of slimmed-down dims for rippers who don't need a board as wide or thick as the standard Ghost. I think I asked them about it last time I ordered some boards.

I like the dudes at Aqua, they are chill, but I wouldn't take anything they say too seriously ;)
Listen to Kool-Aid.

I'm even fairly sure I remember Pyzel coming on here and confirming that the Ghost Pro is just a Ghost in a different set of dims.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I had a 6'2 Happy step up... good board. Even though the nose looks on narrower side, it has low nose rocker and thickness distributed slightly forward. Made paddling decent and knifing in more precise. I only surfed it 1x in conditions it was suited for, sold it bc for where I surf, I'd only use it a couple times a year and on those days I'd want something a little longer.

Reactions: mundus

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Listen to Kool-Aid.

I'm even fairly sure I remember Pyzel coming on here and confirming that the Ghost Pro is just a Ghost in a different set of dims.
He did, in response to my inquiry of stretching the pro out to be used as a semi-gun.

Reactions: ehiunno

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I had a 6'2 Happy step up... good board. Even though the nose looks on narrower side, it has low nose rocker and thickness distributed slightly forward. Made paddling decent and knifing in more precise. I only surfed it 1x in conditions it was suited for, sold it bc for where I surf, I'd only use it a couple times a year and on those days I'd want something a little longer.
I’ve always been surprised the happy doesn’t get near the love as the ghost. I’d love to see a good comparable between those 2.

Reactions: Lohena

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Not a CI fan but I had an early Lost Rock Up that I liked. The later Rock Ups got really pinny which is why I think they made the Round Up, my Rock Up was more like the later Round Ups, a wider round pin. I've seen some that looked really good.

Also had a Lost Mini Driver that I used as a semi step up. It went really well as surf got bigger. Had some epic hurricane sessions on it but it was only 5'9. They get too beefy as you get to more step up sizing.

Wouldn't mind a step up with the rocker of the Mini Driver, a bit more in the nose and less in tail but all the compact step ups seem to go the opposite way.

Reactions: chilly1

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
I’ve always been surprised the happy doesn’t get near the love as the ghost. I’d love to see a good comparable between those 2.
I've been curious too. My concern it that it seems the Happy would lack drive compared to the Ghost. Don't know though.