Recommend A Step Up/Good Wave Board

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
For east coast use, Need something for Hurricane season and winter. Kinda confused with all the options Ghost? Local Shaper? Superbrand Pigdog? Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

May 10, 2018
For east coast use, Need something for Hurricane season and winter. Kinda confused with all the options Ghost? Local Shaper? Superbrand Pigdog? Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.
I love and recommend the Ghost as my good wave step up (even though it's the same height 6'0 as my regular shortboard) when the surf hits 6 foot (double overhead) plus. Paddles like a dream and loves steep and curvy barrels.

Reactions: mundus

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
In the same boat. Depends a bit on what you like and are used to riding. I had a PigDog last hurricane season. Paddled really well but unless it's really big, it's a bit stiff and oddly flat up front. I bought a Ghost after but it was past peak of the season so didn't really have a chance to ride. I ride a Hypto a lot on bigger days and it works really well in the east coast beach break I surf but it has to be sized pretty small to not be a boat so riding a 5'6 in full gear in the winter can be a challenge sometimes. The Hypto step up came out after I bought the Ghost or I probably would have grabbed one of those. Saw one in shop recently and it looked really good to me.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
what size ghost are you guys riding? im 5'8 165-170ish. Thinking a 6'1 or 6'2 should do it.

Jan 5, 2020
I guess it all depends your standard daily driver and the types of waves you’re chasing. Are you trying to tuck into barrels in the northeast or Outer Banks? Or is it flatter faces that can be found in most portions of the southeast? For the former, assuming you commonly ride shortboards, a ghost and/or pigdog should do the trick. If the wave has size, but not as hollow, get something that can get you paddle and carries speed through the inevitable dead spots that will come up. If you prefer hybrids, the pigdog could still work, but you might to expand your search for hybrid step ups, which a good number of brands make. Hope this helps!

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
That is the leading contender if i can find one stock.

Reactions: potato-nator

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
this one looks nice too

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
If you wanna go up just a couple inches a Pyzel Ghost is hard to beat. I don't recommend going too long on the Ghost but go a little thicker than your normal board, the rails are very foiled. If you want a full on step up, something longer to cover ground and get in early, Rusty Blackbird.

Pigdog is a barrel board. It works really well as intended but it's kind of stiff out on the open face. It's less versatile than some other options for that reason.

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004

if you are light and a good surfer, this quiver is pretty optimal. Info aobut his step-ups

Reactions: Aruka