Recall Newsome?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Fecal Fascist...thinks he should be in charge of who does what for recreation.

Golf courses largely use reclaimed water and the ponds are managed for this purpose. You know who doesn't manage their water? Democrat run California. The democrats have allowed the states water reservoirs and infrastructure to decay to the point that we now have 40% of the design storage. We send more of our water to the Pacific Ocean than we use because our dams and reservoirs are is such disrepair. There's plenty of water, the California democratic party just decided to artificially create drought conditions, you'll have to ask them why but I think the reasons are obvious.
I always wonder about who does those wierd anti-government water billboards along the I-5 in the central valley.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I always wonder about who does those wierd anti-government water billboards along the I-5 in the central valley.
Farmers (private or corporate, but mostly corporate).

Thing #1 about water rights is that they are bonkers, or is that #2 and #1 is that they are old, written long before people would considered all the ramifications.

Anyway, some entities with water rights (surface and subsurface) make more money selling water/water rights (or selling surface and keeping subsurface rights) than growing crops.

When some water regulators say, "Hey, that isn't right, you get cheap water to grow crops, not subsidized water to sell at higher rate," some entities then claim their livelihood is being threatened since they have to choose between farming or selling water.

(When there isn't lots of water to go around, tough to raise crops and sell water.)

Of course this is only one aspect of the backstory of those signs.

Another aspect is the people who more recently bought land to farm and found their newer water rights don't comport to the older ones, or that the subsurface water is crap but they don't have enough $$ to get better water from a supplier who has already promised to sell their water to a subdivision near Lemoore.

Another aspect is that as regulations get tighter, and there is less water to go around, just becomes another straw in the bag to complain about but since optics matter, you go with the one most people can understand, "they won't let use water farm to feed you".

Reactions: Aruka

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
wha happa?
sh!t man it’s really insta drama that I can’t keep up with or care too. but I like the OG All Gas guy and some of my friends know him. Essentially got replaced by some kid he was mentoring and couldn’t retain the all gas name that he built. The people bank rolling him didn’t like the direction he started to go, despite promising to be hands off, and did the whole thing in a pretty back handed way.

all you have to know is “channel 5” is the og “all gas and no breaks” guy. There’s info on the details out there in the interwebs.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
sh!t man it’s really insta drama that I can’t keep up with or care too. but I like the OG All Gas guy and some of my friends know him. Essentially got replaced by some kid he was mentoring and couldn’t retain the all gas name that he built. The people bank rolling him didn’t like the direction he started to go, despite promising to be hands off, and did the whole thing in a pretty back handed way.

all you have to know is “channel 5” is the og “all gas and no breaks” guy. There’s info on the details out there in the interwebs.

ahahahahahahahahaha

I already got one!

http://instagr.am/p/CNTeSyln9U4/

• Haha

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
BUH RULES!!!

Thanks Gavin!

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Farmers (private or corporate, but mostly corporate).

Thing #1 about water rights is that they are bonkers, or is that #2 and #1 is that they are old, written long before people would considered all the ramifications.

Anyway, some entities with water rights (surface and subsurface) make more money selling water/water rights (or selling surface and keeping subsurface rights) than growing crops.

When some water regulators say, "Hey, that isn't right, you get cheap water to grow crops, not subsidized water to sell at higher rate," some entities then claim their livelihood is being threatened since they have to choose between farming or selling water.

(When there isn't lots of water to go around, tough to raise crops and sell water.)

Of course this is only one aspect of the backstory of those signs.

Another aspect is the people who more recently bought land to farm and found their newer water rights don't comport to the older ones, or that the subsurface water is crap but they don't have enough $$ to get better water from a supplier who has already promised to sell their water to a subdivision near Lemoore.

Another aspect is that as regulations get tighter, and there is less water to go around, just becomes another straw in the bag to complain about but since optics matter, you go with the one most people can understand, "they won't let use water farm to feed you".

Ah, Marin County wants to buy farmer water....everyone willing to let farmers sell water meant for crops so Marin County can keep their customers in water? Just means higher food prices for everyone else and more signs along the road:

Link

1632262349060.png

Last edited:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Ah, Marin County wants to buy farmer water....everyone willing to let farmers sell water meant for crops so Marin County can keep their customers in water. Just means higher food prices for everyone else and more signs along the road:

Link

View attachment 116613
The San Diego County Water Authority did something similar with the Imperial Irrigation District several years ago. Farmers let their land go fallow in exchange for their water to be purchased for San Diegans. However, the SDCWA / IID situation is different as it didn't require the construction of a pipeline and pump stations (which seems to be required for the Marin deal) and was tied to CO River allotments not ground water (aquifer) pumping.
Marin would be better off developing desal and direct/indirect potable reuse. It's going to take a lot of juice to pump the volumes required from the Valley up to Marin; so the energy debate on desal and direct/indirect potable reuse are somewhat moot.
The good people of Marin have to understand that our State's Ag valleys are running out of water too. WE cannot keep pumping our aquifers dry. It took millions and millions of years for them to be created and we've drained them in a couple of centuries.
We have to start recycling all water now (ask me how).

Reactions: Mr Doof