Rear stabilisers, anyone playing around?

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I’m loving the fk out of my new (to me) gofoil setup. I’m 80+kgs

We are in the wind swell season so I haven’t bothered with the Kai but have been swapping between the IWA and M200. I’ve been swapping the stabilisers out a bit because OCD.

I’m shocked how much difference there is.

The M200 with its own stab is lumbering and a bit slow, and builds up ridiculous lift with any speed/steepness at all. It is very easy to pump sans wave, but you have be brutal on the front foot all of the time.. The M200 with Kai stab actually won’t really fly unless I have a bit of speed and I have to rotate it up pretty positively. Once out it is fairly quick and manoeuvreable. It’s like day and night.

The Iwa with Kai stab is fkn awesome for me. Actually easier to pump back out than the M200. Feels like I’m snowboarding or something. Super stiff and lifty with the Maliko stab.

I’d love a stab that sits between the two, and maybe a smaller one.

Anyone else tried swapping around?

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Sounds like time to make some customs, clammy. Are you vac bagging?

I can't wait to learn how to ride a stock foil so I can start building my own shvt. Figured I need to learn how to ride one first.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
yea some of the guys that get to test gear here have cut the tips off the Maliko tail to find a mid size in between the 2 tails. some like it some dont.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Shorter fuselage will change things up too. I only have one setup though so I haven't played with anything. I've never even changed the angle of my rear stabilizer. Not sure what that would do for me, so I just leave it neutral.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Hey Ghostie,

I was stoked to see you’ve succumbed to the foil perversion! For one, because this is one of the most enjoyable and challenging things I’ve ever done, and also because I cannot wait to see what rolls out of your shed.

I just this minute ordered a vac/infusion setup and materials. I’m going to make foil boards but I’ve been thinking about wings and such as well. I was thinking about using a hydraulic press for some stuff too, but I’d better walk before I run.

Where are you at with your foiling? I only get hurt half the time now....it seems to be a concentration thing haha.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I'm getting the slingshot surf kit for xmas. Grendel and I towed behind the ski w/ his original flat foil. scary how it wanted to kick flip and make me land on it. So, I'm nowhere. I just got a couple boxes to stick into my 5'5 mini simmons, and I'm going to hack the nose off and convert it to a foil board this xmas break.

I got inspired by surffoil's diy thread, so thought I'd make something. I need to figure out how to ride one first, before I go any further.

I know, my bay is a sty, but it's the pig's fault.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
The Simmons should be good.

They do try to kill you on a regular basis at the start. I copped the Maliko across the (thankfully) soft part of my shin last week. It hurt so bad I sweated all night. Was very hard to put my boots on all week.

Actually used mine for good instead of evil a couple of nights ago....a shark appeared and I got a miracle lump that I foiled the sh1t out of safety. Amazing what motivation will do for performance!

Can’t wait to see your wing....I don’t get the vac setup til the new year, so I’ll have to live vicariously through you.

LOL THAT PIG!! I’m jealous, he looks like a character.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Was foiling this morning with AlexA from Go Foil, he offered to cut down my Maliko tail which I happily agreed. Also he's gonna tune the humm out of it. It sings pretty bad and I don't use it for that reason.

Hopefully it'll add some additional distance to my Iwa pump outs.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Kaser1 said:
Was foiling this morning with AlexA from Go Foil, he offered to cut down my Maliko tail which I happily agreed. Also he's gonna tune the humm out of it. It sings pretty bad and I don't use it for that reason.

Hopefully it'll add some additional distance to my Iwa pump outs.
Please post pics when you get it back...

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I ended up doing some tinkering. Sorry don’t know how to imbed insta....

Post 1 is the Maliko stab with about 1/2” trimmed off the trailing edge, maybe 3/4” taken off the tips and some minor thinning. It was an improvement in that it was faster and less draggy. Made the Maliko easier to pump over distance. Still pretty stiff and needed room to surf. The usual Gofoil hum.

Post 2 is after I cut it down to 11cm at the trailing edge, squared it off and thinned it a fair bit. Made a sharp leading edge too.So far I’ve only used with the Iwa. Very fast, wayyy less draggy, more turney and good to pump. Zero hum which is nice. Feels like I could benefit by moving the mast forward a little but I’ll have to validate that with the new board I’m making.

I’m coming around to thinking that thin stabs with sharp leading edges are the way to go...I’ve tried them on other brands and liked them but it’s hard when I am comparing apples and oranges.....seems like it’s costly to drag handlebars through the water at speed though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsC_108nLg9/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=cpb8gxomek34

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtClsA3nFiq/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1lurd87udihxj

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Kaser1 said:
yea some of the guys that get to test gear here have cut the tips off the Maliko tail to find a mid size in between the 2 tails. some like it some dont.
just got mine back from Alex yesterday, he lopped a couple inches off the tip of the Maliko tail and repainted it red. Rode it yesterday, made a huge difference. Lift, speed, turns...it filled a void for me. Do have to get used to the better lift as it rides higher and have to adjust my pitch to compensate in turns to avoid breaching.

illl post up some pics today of my Kai tail and this one.

Lesson from this, it's not all about the wing size of the front.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Great to hear! Id love to see those pics.

Yes it reall is an amazing how much of a difference the back end makes

I haven’t been on my Kai tail since I tuned the Maliko one...so I might give the Kai the same treatment, keep the area but thin and sharpen.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Thanks Kaser, looks mint. Mine is fairly similar, I took a bit more from the trailing edge but same same.

Loving it?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Article discussing rear wing's.

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/news/hydrofoiling-can-you-change-your-rear-wing/

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Hdip said:
Article discussing rear wing's.

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/news/hydrofoiling-can-you-change-your-rear-wing/
MacKite mean well but they publish some crazy stuff.....They are dead wrong about anhedral inducing roll stability. It does the opposite, and that is why it is employed most hydrofoil designs......to help us turn.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
gregfoil said:
Kaser1 said:
Do you use it with the iwa front on prone ? I think the IWA/kai tail has got already huge lift.
Yes I do, trying to get used to it in chest plus size surf and think it's too much. Either going back to the Kai as a daily driver or shave it down alittle.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Update...

The cut Maliko tail is now my daily driver. As with most things it just took alittle getting used to. The gain in lift is well worth the risk of overfoil, just gotta adjust for it.