Real surfing in real waves on real boards. (video)

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Great video. From the mid 90s to about 2002 I rode a lot of John Carper boards. The board he make in this video reminds me a lot of those Carpers. Would be interesting to see what bottom contours he's putting on them. Bring back the 90s.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Thing is those boards are worthless in average/sh!t waves prevalent 98% of the time in the USA and many other places on the planet.

I mean fuck, is there a single wave in the USA that stacks up to any of those waves in the video???

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Looking forward to watching this.

Edit:
That was very satisfying and fun to watch. Really good surfing in proper waves.

If you though the boards looked low-volume, you're not wrong: 6'3 is 26L

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Thing is those boards are worthless in average/sh!t waves prevalent 98% of the time in the USA and many other places on the planet.

I mean fook, is there a single wave in the USA that stacks up to any of those waves in the video???
That wave at 1:22 is shin high dogshit and it (or something much better) is on offer at Mayport or Jax Pier like 280 days/year.
There are some Santa Cruz harbor with prettier water waves. 2:20, that wave comes in at El Potty and most of the better beachbreaks in Ventura all winter long, and half of "you" declare it blown out and go home - praise be. Some more one-banger rights, one is actually over head high. 5:15; some people burning; thats USA'r than all hell...

Reactions: retodd

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I don't misst that, even under the right feet. Boards look long for how they perform. I think we've come a long way since then and I prefer surfing on today's equipment.
I prefer 80z 6' x19.5" x2.5+" thruster over dark 90s glass slipper but yes todays hpsb fits the pocket best and uses all best designs of past with modern rocker and foil.