Ready to purchase but Armstrong with prone board 3k, eeks

Apr 30, 2018
I am ready to jump into foil surfing. But real water sports quoted me $3000 to get the Armstrong foil and bored. It seems like it’s a lot of money does anyone have any other ideas or do I just need to pull the trigger.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Considered the best you can get right now ... so kinda like buying a BMW for your sweet 16. I am more of a easing in guy, start with the Ford Pinto with baling wire holding up the muffler, go from there. Personally I'd go used to start. I went with Slingshot for my beginnings: functional, a bit heavy, lots around and way cheaper. But now, a couple years later, there's lots of good early gear available. Contact Kaser in the GoFoil firesale thread, see if he has a complete set up for you. That is a great learning option.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Considered the best you can get right now ... so kinda like buying a BMW for your sweet 16. I am more of a easing in guy, start with the Ford Pinto with baling wire holding up the muffler, go from there. Personally I'd go used to start. I went with Slingshot for my beginnings: functional, a bit heavy, lots around and way cheaper. But now, a couple years later, there's lots of good early gear available. Contact Kaser in the GoFoil firesale thread, see if he has a complete set up for you. That is a great learning option.
Yeah where do you live? Buy the "iwa" and "Iwa chopped tail" from kaser. Then buy a gofoil mast. Then buy a used board. Less than a grand to get started? Tthe instagram guys on armstrong have moved on from them. Armstrong stuff does look amazing though.

Even if you don't go with Kaser's stuff. Here's a beginner gofoil setup with two wings.

And a used board.

$1900 total. In 6 months just add new front wings. (Kaser is selling those too for $500 used) Depending on what armstrong wing you bought you'd probably be wanting to try new front wings in 6-12 months on that system too.

Last edited:

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Last year I upgraded from slingshot to gofoil -- and since then I have been scouring the interweb for deals. Going rate for a 3 wing package (kai, iwa, maliko200) is $1400 new on sale or roughly 900-1000 used -- but most of them are in Hawaii, so shipping adds some $$.

That used deal above isn't the best deal ever, as the kai/iwa package is 1199 new

Also, with gofoil I personally find it painful to spend $200 on the attachment so you can use it on non-tuttle boards ... another benefit of used, someone else paid that. ;-)

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Same reason I've never ridden gofoil Juan. Plus gofoil user's try to sell their stuff for top dollar afterwards. (Kaser not included here). I'm riding my original board which I paid full price for $700 and a lift set I got off craigslist for $700. So if you have time to wait there are deals. I can price you other new stuff too. Neal pryde had a good sale awhile back.

Prone vs SUP would be helpful to know also.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
There are good deals to be had in Hawaii for GF ... tons of them around, everyone has them, but GF fell behind in the high aspect race, other brands took over, and a lot people moved on to other brands. The guy I bought mine from didn't want to ship, but he said he literally couldn't give it away in Hawaii. Another buddy brought a used set up back with him on a trip there, pre covid.

double set $850 (buddy got triple set for $900)

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
Hd1p is my official craigslist searcher guy...he finds all the good deals...found me an awesome GoFoil starter package there...and bought one of his old learner setups and borrowed it out 3 times since then...Get a GoFoil!...nobody is ever unhappy with a GoFoil

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA

double set $850 (buddy got triple set for $900)

i don’t count the kai as a “double” set as it’s not useful for an adult in waves. Never seen anyone successfully use it. The iwa and the 200 work for surf though.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
i don’t count the kai as a “double” set as it’s not useful for an adult in waves. Never seen anyone successfully use it. The iwa and the 200 work for surf though.
Strongly disagree. When the waves are chest high or bigger and have some juice, the kai wing is unreal. It is a go-to. Are you sure you're not talking about the nalu? That's more a tow or kite wing from what I hear.

Last edited:
Reactions: sozzle
Apr 30, 2018
OK here’s what I ended up with used. I was able to find a 2019 Naish set up.I got all the different wings different mass a $1900 SUP board that was only nine months old along with a prom board that was never used all for $1200. The guy said he spent over 5000

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Nailed it. You're stoked. Get out there and earn your wings. I learned on the 2018 Naish. Works good. It is heavy though.

I've read for behind the boat you want the boat going slow. Let the rider control the lift. Instead of going 20 MPH and the foil launching the rider off. I'd imagine 10-12 MPH would probably be OK to start and gradually up the speed as the rider feels comfortable.

Reactions: juandesooka

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Agree with Hdip....I learned this the hard way, on a tiny high aspect kite foil, 36", and punching it to 4000rpm... scary and dangerous. ;-)

The learning progression now is to start out slow enough that it's difficult to get up on foil, play with bunny hop / ollies to get up (pumping) and also with steering around behind the boat (you may find that you come up on foil momentarily on the outside turns when your speed increases). Once you feel comfortable with the foil under you, you can increase speed slowly until you're consistently up on foil. When you feel a wipeout coming, jump off and away, don't try to correct it ... that's where the dangerous wipeouts happen, as your instinct will be to correct by leaning on the wrong rail, which brings the foil up into your face in a hurry. What's hard to get your head around is that the normal rail to rail on your board is actually controlling another board 2' below the water surface....think of the mast as an extension of your legs, kind of like walking on stilts.

Jan 12, 2020
For reference, my beginner boat session was on a GoFoil 200 and we went 6-7 mph! It was hilarious but actually made sense with that size wing. So for sure, as they say, start slow. No water ski tow drivers lol.

Jun 23, 2020
I'm on the Armstrong prone board and 1050/1550/2400 wings currently. I didn't start on it, as that is a huge investment up front if you are just getting into foiling. I started on an older Cloud IX with a foilmount on an older surfboard. It's always a gamble getting into foiling, as you may or may not like it (although I haven't really heard many stories of people not getting fully hooked).

Once I got foil brained, the insane costs seemed more reasonable haha. The Armstrong gear has definitely elevated my abilities over the last year or so.

• Haha
Reactions: Topmick and sozzle
Aug 14, 2019
Australia
I'm on the Armstrong prone board and 1050/1550/2400 wings currently. I didn't start on it, as that is a huge investment up front if you are just getting into foiling. I started on an older Cloud IX with a foilmount on an older surfboard. It's always a gamble getting into foiling, as you may or may not like it (although I haven't really heard many stories of people not getting fully hooked).

Once I got foil brained, the insane costs seemed more reasonable haha. The Armstrong gear has definitely elevated my abilities over the last year or so.
Nice quiver, how do you find the gap from 1550 to 1050, I have the 1550 & looking at getting a smaller wing like 1050 or the HS1250 when it's released.

Jun 23, 2020
Surprisingly the 1050 seems to perform a bit larger than it sounds, maybe due the higher aspect ratio. I also have the 1200, but its slowly gathering dust, so I may sell it, just a bit too much overlap with the 1050. For me at 65kgs the 1550/1050 is the perfect two wing quiver for prone foiling in the surf. My first session on the 1050 in head high waves was my best session to that point. Once it gets waist or lower, I hop on the 1550 with either the 50 or 60 fuse.

I've been winging with 1050 more and more and it's sick! Last session I started with the 2400, swapped to the 1550, then 1050. Wind was 15-20mph in a slick, so the water was flat, 5m Swing. Flat water made getting up on the smaller wing much easier than in choppy water.

I need to try the 1200 and 1050 back to back to see if the 1200 has a place in my quiver.

Aug 14, 2019
Australia
Surprisingly the 1050 seems to perform a bit larger than it sounds, maybe due the higher aspect ratio. I also have the 1200, but its slowly gathering dust, so I may sell it, just a bit too much overlap with the 1050. For me at 65kgs the 1550/1050 is the perfect two wing quiver for prone foiling in the surf. My first session on the 1050 in head high waves was my best session to that point. Once it gets waist or lower, I hop on the 1550 with either the 50 or 60 fuse.

I've been winging with 1050 more and more and it's sick! Last session I started with the 2400, swapped to the 1550, then 1050. Wind was 15-20mph in a slick, so the water was flat, 5m Swing. Flat water made getting up on the smaller wing much easier than in choppy water.

I need to try the 1200 and 1050 back to back to see if the 1200 has a place in my quiver.
Have you any experience with the Axis 660 (similar size to the 1050) & could compare?