Re-opening schools in the fall....

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Lest we forget, lawsuit avoidance is a major driver of school policy in America. That and "equity".

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Something like 75% of California 8th graders can't read proficiently. Our public school system is just a lot of good money after bad. There are probably ways to fix it but we're not going to. Shut the whole thing down. While we're at it, shut down the fire departments and police departments. We just can't afford all this in the "New Normal" and then I won't have to hear about the need for new bond measures for "schools" (pensions) and "roads" (pensions) and "police" (pensions) and "firefighting" (pensions) every election cycle nor will the government be able to threaten me with the lack thereof.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
sweetwater district in san diego opens aug 3 most likely distance learning

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Something like 75% of California 8th graders can't read proficiently. Our public school system is just a lot of good money after bad. There are probably ways to fix it but we're not going to. Shut the whole thing down. While we're at it, shut down the fire departments and police departments. We just can't afford all this in the "New Normal" and then I won't have to hear about the need for new bond measures for "schools" (pensions) and "roads" (pensions) and "police" (pensions) and "firefighting" (pensions) every election cycle nor will the government be able to threaten me with the lack thereof.
Then what?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
what‘s your proposal for improving reading proficiency?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
bible study, obvi
For real. I’d like to hear his proposal. How do we expect kids to read when their parents don’t read. We’re a nation of non-readers. And its pretty well understood that 85% of the effects on academic performance come from ”outside of school” factors.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
For real. I’d like to hear his proposal. How do we expect kids to read when their parents don’t read. We’re a nation of non-readers. And its pretty well understood that 85% of the effects on academic performance come from ”outside of school” factors.
this is why I stopped using the library and started buying books

the kids will slowly take them off my hands one day

one hour before bedtime wind-down starts...art, legos, books, no electronics

I added an extra hour of reading-specific time to the day as part of quaranhomeschool

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
this is why I stopped using the library and started buying books

the kids will slowly take them off my hands one day

one hour before bedtime wind-down starts...art, legos, books, no electronics

I added an extra hour of reading-specific time to the day as part of quaranhomeschool
That rules. More parents should be like you. I’ve been fortunate with my kids. They’re avid readers and are generally motivated to succeed in school.

But I know plenty of parents who don’t offer positive reinforcement when it comes to reading and/or pursuing creative endeavors.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
sweetwater district in san diego opens aug 3 most likely distance learning
Distance learning lol

So fvckin dumb..

Are parents willing to accept their kid's education being flushed down the toilet like this?

And for those parents who work?

This sh!t is putting at risk kids even more at risk.

• Love
Reactions: Ifallalot

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
And further

Everywhere I go I'm seeing kids playing outside together.

Large groups of kids roaming the neighborhood.

etc

Keeping them out of school for "social distancing" if just plain fvcking dumb.

And when the parents work and the kids are being kept at home by the school they'll be going to grandma's house for babysitting.

lol

Clown world wins!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
And further

etc

And when the parents work and the kids are being kept at home by the school they'll be going to grandma's house for babysitting.

lol

Clown world wins!
Schools are scared of lawsuits.

The admins that can run things during good times are usually not what you need for a catastrophe.

We are seeing that now.

At my sisters' school district, the pyscopath school superintendent who has ruined a good district for his own gains is retiring.

This is a good thing.

I wouldn't want to be his replacement.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Then what?
It'll be like every Third World country: if you want to get your kid an education, you pay for it or do it yourself.

Realistically, beyond the 3 R's, most of the time is wasted at school. Most kids just need literacy, writing and consumer math. Those who want to work in skilled trades need geometry and trig, but if they're mostly not learning how to read, forget it.

The last straw of public education viability was that it was a daycare system for two-income parents. Now that's gone since kids will only be going to school two days a week and mothers must stay home. There's no need to keep it open, nor can we afford it.

Distance learning lol

So fvckin dumb..

Are parents willing to accept their kid's education being flushed down the toilet like this?

And for those parents who work?

This sh!t is putting at risk kids even more at risk.
Some of the UMC parents are going to go along with whatever the government says, but most are going to homeschool. They're not sending their kids to a day prison.

And further

etc

lol

Clown world wins!
Mine were just on the news riding around with no masks. The news anchor ignored that and kind of had the tone of, "Awww, how cute."

The reality is that coming into contact with the same people every day does not spread the virus. Over time, those in your immediate group share the same diseases, recover, and then develop antibodies or were otherwise naturally immune genetically. This was one of the flaws in the assumptions of the Imperial College model: that everyone comes into contact with NEW people every day thus the R0 must be reduced drastically, though even that was overestimated.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Mine were just on the news riding around with no masks.
Cool. I hope they weren't wearing helmets. In my day no self respecting kid would be caught dead wearing a helmet. no one wore a helmet. none of us got hurt, none of us were killed. Helmets are imposed by the government. kids who are forced to wear helmets are more likely to be gay and to reject their parents' Christian and conservative values.

• Haha
Reactions: hal9000

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Cool. I hope they weren't wearing helmets. In my day no self respecting kid would be caught dead wearing a helmet. no one wore a helmet. none of us got hurt, none of us were killed. Helmets are imposed by the government. kids who are forced to wear helmets are more likely to be gay and to reject their parents' Christian and conservative values.
This is what a male Karen looks like

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
When I see people on bikes, motor cycles or skate boards, moving at speed, I always imagine them crashing.

Not in a fun funny way.

I shudder at the thought.