Re-opening schools in the fall....

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Gonna be a big old sh*t-show. There’s about a dozen plans in the works and if I were a betting man, they won’t decide on one plan, but instead, will take the worst elements of several plans and slap them together.

Reactions: Ifallalot

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
GOP doesn't have a problem with making kids orphans.....as long as it's a sacrifice to the economy.
GOP has nothing to do with it. We all want a safe solution regardless of where you politically align. Kids don't go to school, parents cant go back to work.

No one knows wether closing the schools was a good or bad idea, or if it would directly mitigated the spread or ballooned it hadnt they closed.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
If they require masks a lot of kids won't go. If they do not require masks a lot of kids won't go. :ROFLMAO:

My oldest who is a student at a university in NJ may take a semester off to see how all this shakes out. The on-line learning they had to do for most of the semester was a complete waste of time and money but at least he got the credits.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
One time my son went to school and picked up the flu from some other kid. He came home then I got it and wife got it. We both died.

He‘s an orphan now. True story.

No school for at least 3 years, minimum. No school until immortality has been achieved.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
What I want to know is how a state can enforce compulsory attendance laws when live attendance can and will be argued by some parents as hazardous. The legal liability implications are not something we can just blow off.

Then if they make it so parents have to opt-in to live attendance programs we get to see how the two groups of kids compare to each other. The opt-out group will include some parents who really ARE sweating the infection rate but it will also include some parents who never valued education in the first place and whose kids were an albatross around the necks of everyone else in school.

This could get really interesting.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
...and? not something to be concerned about? Just because kids arent going to die from it doesnt mean they cant pass it on unless you know something the rest of the earth doesnt. please share.
Kids have been getting the flu and bringing it home for more than 100 years.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
As a side note, did anyone here catch the "Counterpart" series on cable a couple years back?

The backstory on that one was parallel universe where Earth split into two versions in the 1980s as the result of some physics accident. The hook was that the alternate 'verse got contaminated with a bioweapon that wiped out a certain percentage of the entire population, and to which they reacted by changing a lot of aspects of their society, such as masking, turning people into the State who they suspected of being sick, outlawing pesticides and hormones in foods and other industrial processes with their food - at the cost of technological development. So this other world had great quality food but fewer tech advancements like wireless phones.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
official word from the top in CA thus far is each public school district can decide how they want to handle schools reopening.

some may stay distance learning entirely, some may offer a hybrid of in-person/distance learning, and some may go all-in in-person.

my sense is we'll have clarity late June/mid-July based on what COVID-19 numbers are at that point in time.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
What I want to know is how a state can enforce compulsory attendance laws when live attendance can and will be argued by some parents as hazardous. The legal liability implications are not something we can just blow off.

Then if they make it so parents have to opt-in to live attendance programs we get to see how the two groups of kids compare to each other. The opt-out group will include some parents who really ARE sweating the infection rate but it will also include some parents who never valued education in the first place and whose kids were an albatross around the necks of everyone else in school.

This could get really interesting.
There are a lot of charter schools that have been doing "independent study" style programs for years with a distance learning style approach. Parents will pull their kids from traditional public schools, removing the ADA from the traditional schools, and enrolling their kids in the charter schools.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
So that brings to mind the possibility of whether or not the state is obligated to provide an alternate track at public expense to those students whose parents don't want them attending live courses. And if so, what does that do to the business interests of the private school operators? Will the states contract with these operators or compete with them? And if the states contract with the home-school vendors instead of competing with them then doesn't that set a precedent for school choice advocates to exploit?

As for an explosion in home school kids, we can kiss our uncrowded mid-day lineups goodbye.

• Dislike
Reactions: potato-nator

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Come on now, it is not a standard flu. I had it and it was not a barrel of laughs and people are having bad after effects.
Its slightly worse than standard flu. You had it and it was bad, more than half who get it don’t get sick at all.

Ive had flu put me in hospital. A guy I used to train with died of the flu just this last Januar. He was 40 years old.

Not one single story in the news about it.

Your fear has been been manufactured for you.

As more data comes in it makes these shutdowns look dumber and dumber. Look at the data and the science not the news.