rats

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I am house sitting

I went over after about a month to collect mail

guest bathroom toilet: full, operational

master bathroom toilet: bowl is completely emptied of water. there looks to be rodent droppings in the bottom
of the bowl

it was not like this the last time I visited.

there are smudge marks on the seat and the floor around the toilet...I'm thinking something wet and dirty was
whomping around the toilet seat and the floor.

no smells in house, no other visible damage...nothing chewed up....no messes

I am fkn horrified by this....I can't figure out what's going on

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Say hello to my little friend
7C9339B3-1FBD-4ABF-B11C-B8393E4EEB9E.jpeg
She’s good on snakes too. Maybe let a snake loose. You like snakes.

Get a trampa de juala
27837A9E-B8C0-48B1-84D1-7CDDEA6EACD0.jpeg
Tune it up and it sounds like a .22 going off when it trips. Sounds like victory. Then drown the fvcker in a five gallon bucket. Inside the trap.

My wife kills them by backing them into a corner and popping their heads with a broomstick. You’ve heard about how mean cornered rats are? Think about that. Sissy.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
try the larger glue traps but secure them so they cant drag it away.

on my block an old house was recently torn down and voila we got 'em.

the pros use ratboxes w/poison.

:sick:

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I am house sitting

I went over after about a month to collect mail

guest bathroom toilet: full, operational

master bathroom toilet: bowl is completely emptied of water. there looks to be rodent droppings in the bottom
of the bowl

it was not like this the last time I visited.

there are smudge marks on the seat and the floor around the toilet...I'm thinking something wet and dirty was
whomping around the toilet seat and the floor.

no smells in house, no other visible damage...nothing chewed up....no messes

I am fkn horrified by this....I can't figure out what's going on

Hmmmm. It's been awhile since Eunice has posted.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
At the start of this pandemic I abandoned my flat in locked down Melbourne city, to live in freedom close to the surf in a 1970s caravan in regional Victoria. One evening I saw a small object run across the floor and disappear underneath the sofa. I thought that was a big spider. We do get some big ones here. Over coming days it became evident that I had a mouse problem. Finding how they were getting in was impossible in such an old structure that had various cupboards and renovations tacked on to it. Mouse traps baited with peanut butter placed either side of the fridge, seemed to rid them or at least keep under control. Over a period of about 6 months the traps only caught 2 more.

For caravan park regulation reasons I was forced to leave the caravan, but instead of heading back to Melbourne I managed to get a lease on an old weatherboard house. I took the lease out sight unseen, in-person inspections not available and the video inspection link didn't work. The location from a surfing point of view was superb, so I took a chance, uploaded all the documentations and clicked the "apply" button. At that time short term holiday homes in regional Vic were being rapidly unloaded onto the market for long term rental due to job insecurity and loss of the usual income. With Melbourne going through what would be a 112 lockdown demand for these leases was low.

The pictures of the interior on real-estate agents website had given a fair representation and the interior was about as good as I could expect for a house of similar era to my caravan. It had over time undergone some slightly eccentric, but well fitted renovations. There was evidence of mice droppings in some corners when I first moved in, but I never saw any.

I sleep with bedroom door open and one evening I was woken by some rattling in the living room. There were 2 rodents running up the cords that operate the blinds, before quickly running out of sight. Out came the mouse traps, but they caught nothing over the next few days as I was woken each night. I did get to see them, quite big, must be field mice or something. They were crapping large droppings on the cooker and leaving a nasty smell on the wooden floor. Then the trap caught one. An internet search confirmed not a mouse, small ears and hairless tails, large size = rat. Apparently rats reproduce at an astronomical rate and they need to be dealt with quickly. If they are only seen at night then the problem is still in its early stage.

I do not like the idea of poison because dead animals hidden in cavities will make the place stink. A mate of mine once had a terrible smell which came from a dead possum in the roof cavity. I spent the next day going through all the cupboards and every inch of skirting board looking for holes. Not much furniture for them to hide in. I found just one hole in the skirting that corresponded with the direction in which they disappeared. I plugged it with sponge rubber, installed sonic deterrents, replaced the mouse traps with stronger rat traps in all rooms and for a few days saw no sign of them. Then they were back. Mice are stupid, but these rats were clever bastards, they would set off the traps without getting caught by knocking them. Sticking them to the floor with blu-tack didn't catch them either.

Then during a nightly disturbance one ran past me and into the bathroom. The only place they could possibly be coming from was behind the washing machine. Sure enough after moving the machine I could see the bottom of the cubby hole next to the laundry trough was not boxed in at the base and with a torch I could see the wall cavity. Most older houses in Australia are on concrete stumps which is good for keeping dampness out, but means trying to stop animals getting underneath the house is impossible. The cavity in the base of the cabinet could however be blocked. I sawed up two pieces of plywood and boxed it in. I also removed a loose panel from under one of the cupboards and discovered droppings and a passage into the wall cavity right at the back. Inaccessible, but I blocked the hole by pushing a brick against it with a stick. Its quite possible that there are other such cavities, but I can't do anything about that and the rodent problem is solved. No sign of them and no smell.

A relatively smaller annoyance is mosquitoes. Its cold and well into winter, but drainage ditches filled with water must be breeding them. All windows have fly screens. The wall ventilation all fitted with wire mesh. I have no idea how they are getting in. It only takes one or two buzzing in my ear to wake me up and leave me with itchy bumps on my face. Not a problem every day, but the last two evenings I have needed to put eucalyptus repellent on my face when sleeping.

I am very happy here though. The house is owned by a carpenter and the renovations have been professionally done. Its got reverse cycle heating and air-con. Extractor vent over the cooker. No carpets, all wooden floorboards and tiles so easy to keep clean. Never surfed so much in all my life and having a garden makes a nice change from years of 3rd storey apartment living. Regional rent and house prices skyrocketed in regional areas. However I have managed to extend the lease for another year and hope to stay here a while.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Could be sewer rats (check dropping size charts)
Maybe flush some rat poison down the toilet, and then pour some in.
Also, the Raticator. I've expired several dozen per year with one and on a single set of batteries.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Get a cat. Feed them outside. Feed them once a day. They'll solve anybody's rat problem in a one acre radius. My grandfather had a medium size, like ten acre, avocado orchard in Somis and he kept few cats. They'd come to the shed to get fed at night, he would pet them maybe once or twice, and no one else could get near them. They were killing machines.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Could be sewer rats (check dropping size charts)
Maybe flush some rat poison down the toilet, and then pour some in.
Also, the Raticator. I've expired several dozen per year with one and on a single set of batteries.
In LA? That wouldn’t be the only place in the neighborhood. If you have a septic system, that’s a different story. But yeah, first identity the enemy.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Get a cat. Feed them outside. Feed them once a day. They'll solve anybody's rat problem in a one acre radius. My grandfather had a medium size, like ten acre, avocado orchard in Somis and he kept few cats. They'd come to the shed to get fed at night, he would pet them maybe once or twice, and no one else could get near them. They were killing machines.
This is what they do here, only local story is if you want them to keep feral, best no feed and never pet.

Locals laugh at our fat domestic cats. "2 cats in the yard, life used to be so hard...". Wifey is a CSNY fan. :rolleyes:

But we have another couple, or three possibly, in the backyard grow area. They are like the locals, or maybe even are theirs. Anyway, me no feed, no pet. They regularly leave me field mice sans livers. My cats split fast at the mere sight, or sound, of any one of them. My cats make our dogs run in fear, cause though fat, they are still cats and can blind you in a bounce. They don't catch anything though, who would if you know when feeding time is, and it's regular?

We do have one dog though, a rabbit hunting breed. Podenco Canario. He's huge.

IMG-20201223-WA0023.jpeg He's the one who keeps the rest of the yard critterless. He especially likes the lizards.. only he licks them to death. :roflmao:

Best of luck with the "worst housesitter ever" award afoaf. And remind me NOT to leave you with our keys. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey:

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink