RANT: fin boxes with twin fins

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Posted this a while back but i thought id repost it here, A solution to repair correctly but doesnt address the fact that futures and FCS need to address the issue with a bigger footprint to take the forces associated with large area fins;

"
Ive had three futures boxes go on my dhd twinny. contemplated selling it and lucked into talking to a mate that shapes quite a few boards for our local crew, majority been twins. He said he has had the same issue when he started shaping so shifted to doing glass ons only. He did come up with a cool hack to stop the issue through years of R&D. So far 4 months later, surfing solid waves and big fins, not a single blow out or hair line fracture around them. His method is to create a slightly larger well for the box, drill two holes through the rail, and pour resin then feed through wooden dowels all the way to the outside of the box. the leverage of the fin is then offset by the surface area gained by the dowel. works a charm.

217400891_1149204138824448_2429947372971035814_n.jpg
I saw a video online (or maybe IG) of someone doing this (maybe Donald Brink). It looks like a super good way to secure the fin box! I think this should used more frequently by repair guys. Great method!

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Ever blown out glassed on twin?

why keep messing with boxes?
Yes, many..

Had a few RNF's with glass on MR fins and a trailer box, broke off main fins on all bors... in fairness the glass jobs were pretty shite so there is that.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
For box robustness, route the fin box area a little larger than the box and use HD foam (pour foam is easiest to fit). Then route boxes as usual.

How about the problem w/ boxes cracking or the glass on top of the flange cracking?

I've personally never had any problems with boxes, but I hate big fins. C5 boxes are my favorite!

Have you measured your foot size recently?

Reactions: 000

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater

Hazrus

Nep status
Sep 23, 2016
I'm tall and fairly thin - 6'3" @ 87kg (191lb). I've never been accused of being a Duffy-style physique :shameonyou:

It's been good discussion here; looks like there are plenty of workarounds or modifications to make it work. It still comes down to the box design for the Big 2 though... designing boxes for thrusters = problems with twins. It would be great to see an improved box design, but I'm not holding my breath.

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
The twin fin box ripping out on a turn is a huge issue. The worst is when you go on a surf trip and the box rips out. That's not an easy ding to repair. I wish FCS/Futures would design something to solve it. I love twins but I'm moving away from them and going back to quads until it's solved.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
The twin fin box ripping out on a turn is a huge issue. The worst is when you go on a surf trip and the box rips out. That's not an easy ding to repair. I wish FCS/Futures would design something to solve it. I love twins but I'm moving away from them and going back to quads until it's solved.
As stated, its an install technique issue....not a design issue.

Reactions: rowjimmytour