Range of motion loss & Pain: wrist

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
For what its worth, traditional push ups absolutely kill my wrists. Wrist pain stops me before fatigue. I've found that I have no pain though if I do push ups on my knuckles or is I use a set of dumbbells like handles. Lately I've been using 25lb dumbbells and at the top lifting the weigh alternating arms. Great workout.

Reactions: schex

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Had a navicular (schaphoid ?) fracture in my wrist years ago. Over the years I've had minor stiffness and light pain after heavy use. Never anything that gave me much pause.

About 3 months ago I was doing pushups (common activity) and about a day later began experiencing quite a bit of pain and stiffness. This lasted for about 5 days. It sort of faded away after a week or so. Then about a month ago, seemingly out of nowhere, I woke up with a very stiff wrist and what seems like an extreme lack of mobility (about 25% of what my other wrist can do - no way that i'm able to do a pushup). It's been this way ever since.

No idea what to do about this

Wear a shoehorn brace and check your blood ureic nitrogen (BUN) levels for gout. You might have to reduce non-seafood protein intake.

Reactions: schex

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I tried to go 8 months with a fractured scaphoid because I didn't have insurance. Definitely could not surf. Hurt like hell doing random things like turning door knobs.

Eventually got surgery and a screw/bone graft to fix the fracture once all the scar tissue and improperly healed bone was removed. Almost a year later still only had like 70% mobility with some pain, even wearing brace while surfing. Im at 3 years after now with no pain and back to 90% mobility and surfing pain free with no brace.

I hate to be the guy to say it, but I think you need surgery. It sounds like you agitated the fracture.

Doc said blood supply to scaphoid is awful which causes long recovery, but hooked me up with a bone growth stimulator. Kinda lame it's designed to stop working after 6 months :/