Random Board thread # 1

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Fin position looks a little different. More spread out on bottom one?

Jan 4, 2016
More of a hip on the yellow

Yellow also looks to be wider

Yellow has a rounded square tail, vs the more squash like white one
Ding ding ding We have a winner!!!!! Good eye Todd...yellow is 1/16" wider. White has straighter tail curve, slightly wider tail block. Nose on white one is slightly narrower too.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Since you get to shape similar boards in Varial , do the varials tend to last longer ? Are they lighter ?

Jan 4, 2016
Since you get to shape similar boards in Varial , do the varials tend to last longer ? Are they lighter ?
Varials are strong yes, however they aren't indestructible. They will get deck dents, but not as severe as pu. I've made Varials for lighter footed guys that are several years old with minor deck dents. Varials are very light, probably not quite as light as epoxy if you're comparing 2 identical boards, one epoxy and one Varial. But we're talking ounces here. They're also more buoyant like epoxy.....but the biggest factor is the flex is insane. You glass them with standard poly resin, but they load and unload like nothing you've ever ridden. I've probably made 40 or 50 ? Varials in the past few years, and every single person is absolutely sold on them that has ridden them. I've had guys buy one, then come back and order an entire quiver of them. Kaimana Henry rides 6'10's a Pipe, said he's made waves due to the spring out of bottom turns that weren't even imaginable before. Downside, is they are expensive. But if you're into performance, nothing beats them. IMHO.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Varials are strong yes, however they aren't indestructible. They will get deck dents, but not as severe as pu. I've made Varials for lighter footed guys that are several years old with minor deck dents. Varials are very light, probably not quite as light as epoxy if you're comparing 2 identical boards, one epoxy and one Varial. But we're talking ounces here. They're also more buoyant like epoxy.....but the biggest factor is the flex is insane. You glass them with standard poly resin, but they load and unload like nothing you've ever ridden. I've probably made 40 or 50 ? Varials in the past few years, and every single person is absolutely sold on them that has ridden them. I've had guys buy one, then come back and order an entire quiver of them. Kaimana Henry rides 6'10's a Pipe, said he's made waves due to the spring out of bottom turns that weren't even imaginable before. Downside, is they are expensive. But if you're into performance, nothing beats them. IMHO.
how's the outgassing when you shape them? no headaches?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Love to hear this! Waiting on my first Varial, getting shaped by Kashiwai - if the blanks ever arrive.

Reactions: MathDebater
Jan 4, 2016
how's the outgassing when you shape them? no headaches?
There's no out gassing at all. The foam is extremely tight cell and shapes very crisp. I've never experienced any headaches. The smell everyone complains about smells exactly like denatured alcohol to me. Resin smells 10 times worse to me . The other good thing is if you get a ding the foam doesn't absorb water.

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
My hand were freezing (cold for LA with 46º air and 56º water) the other day after a four hour sesh. I got covered in wet sand negotiating the fairly large shorebreak exploding against a high tide berm. I tried to give my board a rinse and was holding both hands on one rail to give it a quick dunk, but my frozen claws dropped it right into an oncoming wave and the bottom/edge slammed me in the shins and up into the bridge of my nose.

The board came away with two sizable dents which I was able to easily take out with the ol' heat gun trick. I've mentioned it before that Varial has posted videos on the gram and that I've had success the handful times I've done it, but I did have an issue trying to make my daughter's Varial-based Surf Rx look more new at her request. One of the dents had a slightly bubbled but it went down and didn't discolor, just left a slight ring you can see at certain angles where the perimeter of the bubble was.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
you guys with varials ordering same dims you would in pu/pe?

been wanting one for a while, that yellow one looks like a lot of fun.