R3W, nep.....

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
Nep - I sent an email to Bruce Jones since he used to shape for Gordie. I figured that "BR" might be him (instead of BJ). I haven't heard back though. 271 might be too early for Bruce anyway.

That '66 Haut is always available to you. Just let me know. Of course there's no leash plug but you wouldn't want to be tied to that beast anyway.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Max---> When Ocean Beach gets out of control, I head south or sometimes north. I do not stay in SF County. And when it gets very small, I do the same.

Nep--->You hang out at R3W's place and drink beer? How do I get in on that action?

R3W---Telescope, eh? After years of wanting one, I got one for Christmas. My only advice is get one that allows a 35 mm camera to attach to it. I now can watch Jupiter's moons and use it the next day as a 1115 mm lens. I'm taking it to Death Valley by the end of the month. They are lots of fun. Saturn is directly overhead at 8 PM, and Jupiter is about 15 degrees east of same. Just find Orion and look for a bright "star" about the head....that is Saturn.

jimmie--->Glad I am not the only who does the 'act as a tourist' kind of thing once in a while. It is a hoot to amaze other tourists with your local knowledge especially when they think your are a tourist as well.

max---Liverpool Liv's is a post Ft. Point spot for yours truly...but rarely at that. Too far from my home to want to pay taxi charge or weave home through traffic. Good and tight in a "personal" sort of way.

hakenvisual--->I've found myself riding the Beach on days people tow into Mavericks, and all that really means is that they were weak for towing-in. Also, I've been denied and punished at the Beach while Mavericks was hardly working. It is funny like that. Mavericks works quite a bit differently than Ocean Beach when the size starts getting up there. You can get a guess at how one place it doing if you've spent some time checking out both places on the same day and same tide, and same swell. Lastly, I've found that when the outer bars start to break consistantly, the shape of the wave starts to degrade and you are often on the losing end of the cost/benefit ratio.

nep

Duke status
Dec 6, 2002
R3W - wow thanks!!! Of course I'm real interested in what he has to say. I was staring at that board, on and off, the whole time I was up there. Wifey got a little pissed after awhile, saying that I was getting more turned on by that thing than her prancing around in her undies. Crazy girl.

The thing just fascinated me. The heft was unbelievable, and just picking it up was like opening a history book on surfing.

With smaller days just ahead, I'm psyched to take out the Haut. It goes without saying that I'll be super conservative on that thing. But there, I just said it.

Hey JIMMIE - what an incredible weekend! I'm tellin ya that was a full agenda. I love this city! Looks like you got it good. I was just in Mario's for a looong lunch yesterday. Check this out, there was only a handful of people in the place, about 5 including me... pretty soon 3 of us looked up and realized we all knew each other from working at a certain bar back in the 90's!!! Weird, huh? We totally freaked out. The other two finally left and I ordered. Then I realized that one of the other people sitting at the bar was this well known bartender named Jack, who tends over at Club Deluxe in the Haight. I know him just as a distant acquaintance. He's a real cool guy, wears his trademark hat and leather jacket everywhere. An SF booster as well. I eavesdropped on him telling a tourist dude that Lombard wasn't the windiest street in the city. Hey, every native son knows it's over on Potrero!!

So freaking strange to have that many bartenders in one place at one time.

That weekend you had was all time. I miss hitting that lower Polk area, going to the Lumiere. It's one of those areas of the city that hasn't been run over by change, yet. Still has that skanky beat feel. Coincidentally, I heard Jack saying the same thing about that area... he called it the "Tendernob"!

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
Sounds like a beer drinking star party might be in order. My shack will be 2/3rds vacant on 3/29.
Pencil it in. Hopefully my telescope will have arrived and I've figured out which end to look through.

bandini

Michael Peterson status
Jan 22, 2002
SF
Visit site
SF is a really small place like that. And you always get surprised by people you know, when you least suspect 'em. I work at the Farmer's Market, when fruit is in season, and people I know see me working, and are shocked. Guess I never told them I do that.

I just walked with a friend to the Lumiere (from the Mission) last night. It's kind of fun, and Polk St. is brilliant late - after midnight. Trannys and drunks, and us trying to run through the obstacle course of them all.

At one point, walking home, a SUV with boards tied on the roof drove by. I wanted to throw the hang-loose sign, but for some reason didn't. Surfers cruising Polk, trying to get home from ???, trying to find the beach??? Funny.

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
I love the Cordon Bleu, that Vietnamese joint right next to the Lumiere.

You guys should read McTeague by Frank Norris. The whole story unfolds right in that neighborhood.

Jimmie

Nep status
Apr 18, 2002
The City
ooh, ooh, what's the name of that tiny joint to the left of the Lumiere? No tables, just a counter - they serve lunch and dinner. Looks interesting - anybody ever eat there?

Jimmie

Nep status
Apr 18, 2002
The City
R3W, thanks - wasn't there another Vietnamese place called Cordon Bleu in the Fillmore years ago - man it's all getting jumbled-up in my head.

bandini

Michael Peterson status
Jan 22, 2002
SF
Visit site
This is interesting:

The Surf Sunday series continues at The Hotel Utah (4th and Bryant in SF) on March 9 with an afternoon show featuring Slacktone, the Migs, and Pollo del Mar. It starts at 3pm and it's $8 bucks (free to kids). Not a bad way to while away a Sunday afternoon.

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
Thanks Mr. Doof. I just received confirmation that my scope shipped. Should be fun.

R3W

Phil Edwards status
Feb 19, 2002
Frisco
Mr. Doof > For the first time in a long time I actually waxed up and paddled into the early morning slop at 6:30.

The scope was just shipped yesterday so I should have it next week. I bought a Konus 114mm Rich Field Reflector. 500mm focal length, f/4.3.
Comes with a motor driven equatorial mount. I read a pretty good review of it and it seemed like a good place to start. I bought a few accessories, like a red dot sight, 6.3mm eyepiece and 2x barlow.

SF Amateur Astronomers is giving a "how to use your scope" clinic, Saturday at 5 at Land's End. I may attend. Feel free to email me at r3w2000@yahoo.com.

Here are links to the scope and the review.

http://www.digitecoptical.com/tele-konus_reflectors_1780.htm

http://www.cloudynights.com/reviews2/konus500.htm

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
R3W--->Lovely telescope.

Here is the one I just received for Christmas:

http://www.digitecoptical.com/tel-cel-nx4.htm

It maxes out around 230-240 power, but really, its functional power is 200. And I really like the computer aided control...makes it easy to find stuff for doofs who can't always read a star chart.

One thing I really like about mine is that it doubles as a 1000 mm lens for my old Pentax Spotmatic.

I am hoping the 3/29 event can occur. Is Nep interested?