/r/Surfing

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
When I surf in NJ its usually with friendly people or at least most are polite.

Sometimes when it pumps theres so many rides nobody even thinks about chest-thumpin.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I was having a guitar repaired by a guy who is a pretty well known classical guitar builder. I noticed he had an old sticker in his workshop that indicated he used to shape boards. I asked him about it and he said he didn't surf anymore. Told me about a day at rincon where the water was mud but him and a friend scored amazing waves in an almost empty lineup.

He said he went to the hook on a LB and got vibed and yelled at and it soured him so much he said f&6K it. Figured surfing had been taken over by younger folks who happened to be compete as%h^les. He didn't understand the LB hate at the hook......a dude from costa, a pretty good surfer, said the same. Said he paddled out and someone told him no LB's at the hook. He didn't get it either. He told me he said to the guy I won't take a wave till all you MFer's get one. They still didn't let up on him. And a third guy, also a good surfer, told me parents on the cliffs were yelling at their kids to burn him cause he was on a LB. He is a type of dude who doesn't give a f^7k......said he'll surf it when he wants, on whatever, but makes the concession of surfing it without a leash.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
This post made me happy. Aggro territorial surfers is what our thing is about.
Not anymore.

More and more it's soccer moms and a school sport. Bobby Martinez was right. It's tennis. The subculture is dead. Moms and dads invaded. All their precious seeds are gonna be pros. So please move out the way they're trying to get a photo-op.

Reactions: CutnSnip

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
The Hook is alot. I used to surf there quite a bit. Can be a fun wave but it's a bad combo; young and old rippers, complete kooks that just rented boards and the shop a couple hundred yards up the street, and longboarders.

Was up on Santa Cruz this past weekend and had fun at two crowded spots.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
More and more it's soccer moms and a school sport. Bobby Martinez was right. It's tennis. The subculture is dead. Moms and dads invaded. All their precious seeds are gonna be pros. So please move out the way they're trying to get a photo-op.
Surfed a grom-future-pro infested spot last week, lots of cameras on the beach.

It started to rain.

Suddenly I was one of 4 people in the water.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
ive never surfed the hook, but sounds alot like Topanga or any other socal pointbreak you can see from the road. not worth the trouble for the most part but sometimes getting amongst it and doing battle can be fun.
I surf Topanga sometimes. I’ve had many fun sessions there.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I surf Topanga sometimes. I’ve had many fun sessions there.
its possible - if theres some size Ill sit a little wide on the elbow and pick off great waves all the way into the bay, but it has to be a really good swell. otherwise its just "local" guy dropping in on other "local" guy and lots of bad vibes like I said if Im in the mood for it that could be fun too.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
its possible - if theres some size Ill sit a little wide on the elbow and pick off great waves all the way into the bay, but it has to be a really good swell. otherwise its just "local" guy dropping in on other "local" guy and lots of bad vibes like I said if Im in the mood for it that could be fun too.
I’ve never been vibed there.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I surfed Rockpile Right a couple of weeks ago to see if my twin fin could go backside. It was small and not very crowded. I knew everyone out there except one guy. I was sitting deep so I could go left but get the occasional long shot right. A set came right to me, a right and that guy I didn’t know paddled around me and went. The regulars knew him and called him into a couple other sets. Alan. He paddled around me at least once more. The next day I asked Bruce who was out who that guy was that dogged me. Bruce said he used to do that to him too but after Bruce has been going out to surf the rights a lot he doesn’t anymore. Bruce told me you should’ve burned him. I said no way that’s his spot that’s what he should be doing. But he better expect the same treatment if he paddles out to Bowls or Rockpile Lefts. I was happy a local guy was holding it down, even if it was a small day at an afterthought kinda spot. Regulators mount up.

Reactions: Muscles and Havoc