Quiver Shots - Post 'em up!

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
No evo??? :monkey:
still one of my faves. Probably closest feel of board control to skating /snowboarding for me
That's because it's a sh!t board... yes, I said it :D

I thought that I had a love/hate relationship with the one I had. There were moments of pure glory when I'd string the quickest succession of lip whacks on mine, and other times when I bogged basically the entire board on a cutback.

In retrospect, I realise that an inconsistent board like that is the worst kind of board for me personally with the potential to ruin more sessions that it has to make a session better. I don't want to constantly think of a board while riding it, so it was sold on quicktime.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That's because it's a sh!t board... yes, I said it :D

I thought that I had a love/hate relationship with the one I had. There were moments of pure glory when I'd string the quickest succession of lip whacks on mine, and other times when I bogged basically the entire board on a cutback.

In retrospect, I realise that an inconsistent board like that is the worst kind of board for me personally with the potential to ruin more sessions that it has to make a session better. I don't want to constantly think of a board while riding it, so it was sold on quicktime.
Funny, I’ve almost only had the “pure glory” moments, without the bogging. Might be one of my most user-friendly, and reliable boards that I always go back to for an “easy win” when needed. I think it’s easy to size them incorrectly (too big) and that affects how well they surf. I’ve had 4. My last 2 have been completely dialed in with 5’5 @ 30L dims (my smallest board; I’m 6’ tall, 175 lbs) and construction (XTR). To each his own.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
There were moments of pure glory when I'd string the quickest succession of lip whacks on mine, and other times when I bogged basically the entire board on a cutback.
Isn't this basically every board that's good at quick succession of lip whacks/drops in steep waves when tasked with a cutback in flatter/open-faced surf? You'll have to nurse the tail rocker in basically every cutback scenario except cave exit?

And the flip is true for the boards that project around sections on rail and that you can just push on as hard as possible? They feel a bit stiff in tight/steep sections?

Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Those Broom fish look incredible! Mini ride report?
The long fish performs differently in different waves. I'd had it out in 4-5 ft Porto and 2 ft Malibu and it's very different. It seems to to handle whatever I want to surf it in. Bottom is flat to just beyond halfway back and then the V comes in. All Brom fish are essentially flat to V through the tail, IME, I've had a dozen or so.

Smaller one is fish thru and thru, very skatey. They hold when you need and loosen when you need. Very responsive. The fins are single foiled with flat insides. Some drive but also built-in speed. Toe-in and cant are dialed on these things.

I basically learned to surf on a Brom twin. Had em out in everything from 2-8ft all over Santa Cruz county if not too steep.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Isn't this basically every board that's good at quick succession of lip whacks/drops in steep waves when tasked with a cutback in flatter/open-faced surf? You'll have to nurse the tail rocker in basically every cutback scenario except cave exit?

And the flip is true for the boards that project around sections on rail and that you can just push on as hard as possible? They feel a bit stiff in tight/steep sections?
IMHO I don't think the Evo is particularly to either extreme. Goes great for me in avg socal conditions, but it's not what I reach for on the hollowest days. But hey, different people just click with different boards. Sorry for the thread derail.

These quiver shots are fantastic. My inlaws have been in town, so no way I was going to spread out a couple dozen boars for them. Just left today so I'll try to get some sneaky pics the next couple days.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
IMHO I don't think the Evo is particularly to either extreme. Goes great for me in avg socal conditions, but it's not what I reach for on the hollowest days. But hey, different people just click with different boards. Sorry for the thread derail.

These quiver shots are fantastic. My inlaws have been in town, so no way I was going to spread out a couple dozen boars for them. Just left today so I'll try to get some sneaky pics thew next couple days.
Couple dozen?? :oops::oops:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
You guys with the huge beautiful quivers where do you store them? Seems like they take up alot of space.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That's my biggest issue. Need a climate-controlled board barn like Aruka on his 40 acre ranch.

Best I could do this afternoon. Here's many of the smaller boards...
IMG_5613.jpeg
IMG_5612.jpeg

Not a bad one in the bunch and could ride any of em on a typical day here:
1) 5'5" Tomo EVO XTR SL-C
2) 5'6" Mandala SuperChunk EPS/Biax by DarkArts (via @MrSteve )
3) 5'6" Mitsven TKF PU
4) 5'6" Hydrodynamica GMM2 XTR (via @Havoc )
5) 5'8" Mitsven DH TKF PU (via @silentbutdeadly )
6) 5'9" Tomo X-wing EPS/Epoxy
7) 5'9" Tomo SP2 XTR (via @Havoc )
8) 5'9" Mitsven NextGen (double-winged) Quad fish PU
9) 5'10" Mitsven MiniSim Quad PU

EDIT: all CL finds or erBB boars, except XTR Evo and Mitsven quad fish

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The paint job on the Evo is sick!! They all look like grovel boards for smaller conditions (short with wide tails) except for the SP2.

Reactions: JDJ

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
The paint job on the Evo is sick!! They all look like grovel boards for smaller conditions (short with wide tails) except for the SP2.
Well, "smaller conditions" is what I usually surf! I'd surf all these boards waist to head high. common misconception about fish being grovelers- they actually go better as the waves get bigger n rounder. IMO about chest high is their sweet spot. The only ones I'd consider part of da infamous "groveler quiver" are the gmm2, x-wing, minisim- which I'd ride from about thigh to chest high. IF it's too marginal for those, I pull out the mini glider.