Quick Bonzer Question...

Makoman

OTF status
Jun 23, 2003
North East
I have really wanted to add a Bonzer to my quiver, and came across a few stock Campbell's in the rack over the weekend.

I am strongly considering picking up one, the dimensions were 6'4 X 19 1/4 X 2 5/16ths, outline similar to a Merrick flyer, swallow tail.

My dimensions are 5'10 tall and ~155-160lbs. I have found I like my normal shortboards no thicker than 2 3/8 and under 19 inches wide. By the numbers it seems as if this is only a slight variance from what I have found works well for me, but the Campbell really carries some foam, seems much, much thicker and boxier than the dimensions indicate.

Looking for opinions, should I pick this board up or just bite the bullet and wait in line for a custom shape?

Thanks,

tom@daumtooling

Michael Peterson status
Jan 10, 2002
San Clemente
Visit site
Malcomb does carry alot of volume through his rails. I gave him dimensions to match my existing everyday thruster and I got back a board that was much fuller than I had anticipated. But, I've also found that when I would normally be switching from my everyday thruster to my semi-gun in reef type waves, now I switch to my Bonzer. I've got more controland projection with out the trackiness I would get switching to a semi-gun. And, the extra buoyancey does hurt for getting into the waves.

foamdust

Gerry Lopez status
Jul 6, 2002
Honolulu, Hawaii
I would use my instinct in your case. Does it feel good when you carry it? Grab the rails, hold it under your arms, run your hands up and down the rails. That can tell you a lot about a board. Sometimes surfers get too hung up on measurements, there a good place to start for sure, but sometimes you just gotta get a feel for things...

bobsurf

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2003
Blue Oyster Bar
I am strongly considering picking up one, the dimensions were 6'4 X 19 1/4 X 2 5/16ths, outline similar to a Merrick flyer, swallow tail.
That sounds like the same board I tried to order a few months ago.

Makoman

OTF status
Jun 23, 2003
North East
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I try not to get hung up on numbers and go more by the feel of a board, which is probably why I am hesitant. This is probably one of the "biggest" 6'4" I have ever seen, really chunky. Definitely doesn't feel right under my arm, but that's not to say it couldn't turn out to be incredible....
I'm not sure what I'll do, guess I'll talk to the shop owner and see what kind of deal we could work out.

Thanks again,

tom@daumtooling

Michael Peterson status
Jan 10, 2002
San Clemente
Visit site
Makoman,
I'd let this one go. If you're going to get a Bonzer. Get one that feels right. I would have prefered mine with a bit less volume. But, from what I can tell Malcomb trends the other way.

Who's Your Daddy

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
Carlsbad, California
Visit site
You definitely have to work with Malcolm a bit with regards to volume. My experience with him on my first board was very much like Tom's. I thought I was ordering an everyday board given the dimensions I gave MC. What I got back was pretty beefy. That being said, it's now my go-to board if the waves are overhead to double overhead....and I can surf it with confidence.

I recently tried again to get an "everyday" bonzer, with great results. I just had to really emphasize that I needed a more modern shape with more foiled rails...think Flyer II outline and shape. The results were spectacular....the best board I've ever owned for "average" conditions. I couldn't be happier.