question on new board choice

Jun 24, 2003
I'm riding a CI MX now and it rides well, as I read in another post it is fairly easy to get speed without alot of movement and turns easily. I am seriously considering a CI TPH or a CI Flyler 2. I think the CI TPH with its channels and somewhat straighter outline toward the tail will be faster down the line and the Flyer 2 will be more manuverable. I think the Flyer 2 rail may be a bit chunkier.
I'm looking for feedback if you've riden them.
Are the rides very different or very similar?Seems like they both would be pretty easy into the wave.

Thanks
Cheyenne

Jun 17, 2003
North Carolina
Merrick is just the best. Never heard anyone say his boards weren't killer. When you are dishing 500 plus dollars, you don't want to make any guesses.
I have been checking out the Patagonias though. The MAKO seemed to be a pretty sweet board. Which one did you ride? Was it good in small surf to overhead? Thanks...

The TPH vs Flyer II vs M-X...according to this mole
2 main differences:
1. bottom curve. The reason the M-X is takes less effort to get speed is the flat entry. The Flyer II and TPH would req a little more rail to rail....

2. Volume. if you had all the boards at 2 3/8 center, Flyer II would feel much thicker. So get the Flyer about 1/8 thinner than your M-X. The TPH is a little closer, but would still feel a bit thicker in the rail.

All 3 take a little different approach, M-X is very pocket oriented, tight arc off the back foot, the TPH is suited towards aggressive, more powerful surfing, but can still be ridden light, and the Flyer tends to work better for full rail surfing types.
hope it makes sense...

[ June 25, 2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Kapu ]