Question for the Christians

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
What do the no insurance people do in the event of a catastrophic injury?

People deserve the full experience of their choices. It might prompt them to make different choices.

If "catastrophic" anything is a social entitlement then handle that separately.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
It trips me out when people say Catholics aren’t Christians. I’ve had lots of southerner friends say this to me.
A lot of Christians have a really narrow view of who is a Christian. "If you don't believe in <insert list of social dogmas or religious doctrines here>, you are not a real Christian." These people tend to be a little more conservative and often are really vocal about their faith. These are frequently the people who are identified in media as Evangelicals or right-wing whackos or Trumpers or whatever and are what non-Christian progressives think of when they hear the word "Christian".

OTOH a lot of Christians are "big-tent" Christians. "Anybody who believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God and died to atone for your sins is a Christian, all the other stuff is down in the weeds." These people tend to be a little more liberal. These people are harder to classify as they are largely ignored by media, since they produce little outrage and few clickbait headlines.

Reactions: hal9000

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
A lot of Christians have a really narrow view of who is a Christian. "If you don't believe in <insert list of social dogmas or religious doctrines here>, you are not a real Christian." These people tend to be a little more conservative and often are really vocal about their faith. These are frequently the people who are identified in media as Evangelicals or right-wing whackos or Trumpers or whatever and are what non-Christian progressives think of when they hear the word "Christian".

OTOH a lot of Christians are "big-tent" Christians. "Anybody who believes Jesus Christ is the Son of God and died to atone for your sins is a Christian, all the other stuff is down in the weeds." These people tend to be a little more liberal. These people are harder to classify as they are largely ignored by media, since they produce little outrage and few clickbait headlines.
Fundamentalist Christians say they take a hard line on biblical teaching.

Bible says gay is bad, so it is.
Bible says only pray to God. Catholics pray to saints. Therefore they are a cult.

No true Fundamentalist Christian could ever support d0nnie. The bible is full of teachings on how to pick an elder. d0nnie fails every test.

The Bible says that many will call God's name on judgement day, God will say leave, because I never knee you.

A true test of the fakers is to quote their Bible back to them

1 Timothy 3
"Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect."

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

Bible says only pray to God. Catholics pray to saints. Therefore they are a cult.

No true Fundamentalist Christian could ever support d0nnie. The bible is full of teachings on how to pick an elder. d0nnie fails every test.

The Bible says that many will call God's name on judgement day, God will say leave, because I never knee you.

1 Timothy 3
"Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer, he desires a noble task. not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect."
Show us where the older altar boys touched you. On second thought I think we know.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

1 Timothy 3
You don't know the first thing about the Bible.

That passage applies to church elders, not political rulers. Jesus said because nothing about/to the political rulers of his day though they were generally wicked men. He rebuked the pharisees/pharaseeism because they were religious AND political rulers under the Mosaic economy, though he still acknowledged their right to political rule (Matthew 17:26). Jesus' kingdom is invisible and eternal, not visible and temporal.

When you go to the polls, you're not electing a religious ruler - you're trying to elect someone who will uphold the common laws of nations and keep order. We have separation of church and state which is an idea born out of the Protestant political theory of the 1600s.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Some people believe a higher authority (God?) is the ultimate arbiter of right and wrong in the universe, and what we think doesn't matter much.

Some people think something is wrong only if it objectively harms someone else and is right otherwise.

Some people think there is no objective morality and our opinions of right and wrong are what matter.

Some people don't give a sh!t about right and wrong and just live for themselves.

I think if God Himself poked his head out of the clouds and made a moral proclamation, millions of people would disagree and tell the creator of the universe to go fuck off and mind his own business.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Some people believe a higher authority (God?) is the ultimate arbiter of right and wrong in the universe, and what we think doesn't matter much.

Some people think something is wrong only if it objectively harms someone else and is right otherwise.

Some people think there is no objective morality and our opinions of right and wrong are what matter.

Some people don't give a sh!t about right and wrong and just live for themselves.

I think if God Himself poked his head out of the clouds and made a moral proclamation, millions of people would disagree and tell the creator of the universe to go fook off and mind his own business.
Just to be clear, that isn't my belief. Im just saying what they believe

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

I think if God Himself poked his head out of the clouds and made a moral proclamation, millions of people would disagree and tell the creator of the universe to go fook off and mind his own business.
That's basically what the gospels say happened to Jesus, the God-man. He healed the sick, cast out demons, raised the dead, and pardoned sins. He also claimed to be the Son of God. For that, they crucified him. The third day he rose again from the dead....

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I was thinking of the usefulness of metaphors this morning. They give us the structure to think about things that are hard to think about. The function as tools to build awareness.

But it's good to be aware that you are using a simplified structure while you are doing that thinking.

I just did it right here.

Like a bitch.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I was thinking of the usefulness of metaphors this morning. They give us the structure to think about things that are hard to think about. The function as tools to build awareness.

But it's good to be aware that you are using a simplified structure while you are doing that thinking.

I just did it right here.

Like a bitch.
Feel like explaining what you mean by the bolded part?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
the best part about going to catholic school was that the nuns often told us not to take this stuff too literally and that these stories are full of allegory and should be read more as lessons on morality and becoming a good person.

when you read the bible that way, it’s much more interesting.

also, the nuns should really be in charge of the Catholic Church, they’re the only ones who actually walk the walk.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
the best part about going to catholic school was that the nuns often told us not to take this stuff too literally and that these stories are full of allegory and should be read more as lessons on morality and becoming a good person.

when you read the bible that way, it’s much more interesting.

also, the nuns should really be in charge of the Catholic Church, they’re the only ones who actually walk the walk.
Same

The best teacher I ever had was a Jesuit who washed out and got married but still taught religion and history at my catholic high school.

For all the problems they have, the catholics sure have a lot more figured out than the holy roller protestants

And Mel Gibson

Reactions: hal9000