Question for the booty boiz :)

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I’ve got a pair of Rip Curl Flash Bombs that I can actually surf well in. I have ditched numerous other booties because I couldn’t stand them. And the RCFB’s are pretty true to size. I have one foot that is 11.5 and one that is 11. The 11s were perfect. O’Neill I routinely went down a size and still hated them with a passion.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRCD

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i go down a size in most brands. for split toes sometimes that's not possible, they fit too tight.

not sure if xcel is still doing it but they had half sizes and the half size down from my shoe size was perfect.

Jul 4, 2006
New England
In very cold water (sub 50) I've had too tight of boots make my big toe go cold extra quick. Just aim for boots that fit right, can't say I've had an issue with properly sized boots when dry not stay snug and capable when wet.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
In very cold water (sub 50) I've had too tight of boots make my big toe go cold extra quick. Just aim for boots that fit right, can't say I've had an issue with properly sized boots when dry not stay snug and capable when wet.
Its tricky cause what feels good when you try on usually stretches out and fills with water after a few sessions. I go the sizing down route to avoid this but sometimes the nail on my big toe will get sore from the booty pushing it inwards. That being said I avoid wearing them at all costs even in OBSF .

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
size down. first few sesh suck until they loosen up
I have a pair of 10.5 xcels, size 11 shoe is usually tight to start with.

An unwritten rule with booties and gloves that they will remain unworn unless the hands and feet go numb after an average length surf.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I wear an 8 in shoes and buy an 8 in booties. O'Neill round toes for the win!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Do you guys buy your bootys 1 size smaller for better fit?
I kinda tried this with drylocks and they'd hurt my feet a bit while walking long distances, eg Northerly blowouts or late winter pre-frontals. I tried cutting the rubber around the split toe to make them stretchier which helped a hair.

Last time I tried on like 10 different kinds in Sunrise and Aqua Mall and went with the Visslas for comfortably snug.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I wear a 10.5 shoe and get size 10 booties (in most brands). A little tight my first few sessions, but it gets better and seems to work out.

Reactions: ReForest

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
one of my feet have that long middle toe thing going on.. so - i buy at size - other wise one is extremely uncomfy.
for shoes i usually get a 12 to accomadate and same for booties. i dont wear em often enough to notice a stretch i guess. this winter wore em like 4 or 5 times.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
9.5 shoe size. I go 9. I always go split toe. Personal pref and find that the 5 and 7 mill boots with rubber toes don't stretch much lengthwise. Couldn't imagine going size 8. Maybe its an ego thing. Maybe I am lucky to be a half size. Hotline, Xcel, and more recently Buell are the boots I've used.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I'm a 10.5 and my Xcel 3 mils, 5 mils, and 7 mils are all 11 and fit well. Just bought some of the those 8mm heat molded boots in a size 10 as advised and they felt small. I heat molded them with the sock but haven't tried them since the surf has sucked since I got them like a month ago.