Scrap it?
Sink it to create artificial reef?

Theres other things they are considering
All options look to be in the 100million dollar range
I'm sure they'll screw it up

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Remember going on tour of ship with my mom and dad under 10 and feeling strange vibe:drowning: My vote is for artificial reef and turning ponto into a top to bottom barrel:shaka:

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Whats going on with it? Used to be able to see it out my window when i lived in LB. Never actually went on it though.
It's fallen into extreme disrepair and apparently would cost way too much to fix it. The ROI just isn't there.
BTW, some of the biggest Calico Bass live inside that break wall around her, probably some king size bugs too.
I vote for artificial reef.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
How much money to keep up? What is big round building next to it?
That's where Howard Hughes' The Spruce Goose used to be housed, it's up in Oregon now.
RE: The Spruce Goose.
That was the last place I saw my good friend Nojay Komoda alive.
That was the send-off place for him and Gerhard Giesle who were going to try and beat the world-record for the fastest and smallest craft (a NACRA 5.8) to cross the pacific to Maui.
They ran into hurricane David and that was that.
RIP Nojay and Gerhard.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
QM accommodates roughly the homeless population of LB. Move it to a quiet corner of LA harbor and give it to them.

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
A buddy of mine got married on the QM when it was docked in LB. The ship has outlasted the marriage.

As an aside, when I was five years old I went on a ship called the USS United States. It was the fastest passenger ship in the world. Went from NY to South Hampton and I still remember a lot about it. It was a magnificent ship. Unfortunately, it met with an inglorious end.

This vid was taken the same year I was on the ship. I remember going past the Statue of liberty and seeing icebergs in the Atlantic.

A Short Trip On The SS United States - Bing video

And today:

The SS United States: Philadelphia's Abandoned Ocean Liner (abandonedamerica.us)

Hopefully the QM won't meet the same fate.