Quad Reviews

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
I am looking to purchase my first quad. I have heard some good things about the Cole and Stretch Quads but have never ridden one. I wanted to see if anyone could provide some feedback on how the Cole Firefly Quad and the Stretch Fletcher Quad perform and if you would recommend either.

shshlens

Miki Dora status
Apr 27, 2006
Santa Barbarea
Typically, the Cole uses a single to double concave bottom, whereas the Stretch Fletcher uses a single concave throughout. This makes the Cole work better in the all-around category, whereas the Stretch will excel in hollow/fast surf. I loved my Cole, but it had too much volume for me. So I sold it to SB_Surfer who I think really likes it/loves it, and I ordered a new one for myself. They are well worth it. Stretch is no slouch either, but I wanted to go with someone I'd known of for my first real performance quad. Cole was well worth it.

I've posted this up a bunch, but here's an old review: Review here.
Plus, you should check out the "Once & For All" thread on quad fin set-ups.

-ShShSh

Jul 6, 2006
So. Bay
I haven't ridden a cole or stretch quad but I did ride a KG high performance quad shape by Stu Kenson from December until February this year. The thing held pretty decent in the tube, went faster than a thruster, probably turned a bit sharper and could hold a higher line and trim out a bit better than a high performance thruster. I broke that board though and now I'm riding a Lost SDII a friend gave me and honestly I like the Lost better. I feel it fits a bit tighter in the tube with more drive and the center fin is money on the backhand. I personally like to sit on my tail and pump or stall or trim or bottomturn or go off the top or snap in the pocket and the center fin gives you all those options with added manueverability. One side note, my home break is a slabbing beachbreak and my only true problem I had with my quad was on one particular overhead tube where I bottom turned and then checked in the tube and the board pretty much lost all its accleration and I got eaten. But if you get maybe a little gunnier shape that might not be a problem. Otherwise, I rode a bunch of tubes on my quad and probably got the best wave of my life--an eight foot face drainer and this time the board held solid off the bottom and into the curl; however I wasn't as deep as the other wave. Also it's not quite as smooth in backhand off the bottom off the top combos. From my experience it seems the center fin adds drive in the tube and maneuverability but quads are faster and trim out better and can still tube ride decent. This might sound kinda redundant but remember that quads don't have a center fin so you can't really sit on the tail like you would on a thruster, you're gonna surf it slightly more off the rails and the board's gonna want to go a bit straighter. Here's a link to the board I rode this winter. http://kanegarden.com/cms/surfboards/short/4x4

Nov 11, 2005
Newport Beach
Visit site
I've had two Steve Forstall CODA quads (bat-tail & moon-tail) and I really like them, Vector set-up, and I changed the front fins to 467s.

Great in small and bigger waves

gr8day

Gerry Lopez status
May 27, 2005
Flow Da
I also have a Coda quad wth a wide swallow tail, can't say enough good things about the board. It was also Vacuumed Bagged, which almost makes it bullet proof.

Mar 21, 2007
Da Beeech
Quads will really open up your surfing. You'll do everything a thruster can do, the only difference is the feel. Advanced surfers can really detect this and some miss the thuster fin. I notice it too but I'm no pro. I'm wondering how the c5 setup works on the rusty boards, looks like he mashed the quad and bonzer design together. Can't go wrong with a Stretch. I owned one and loved it, wonderful board with no demands. It just did anything I could imagine.

jts80

Legend (inyourownmind)
May 17, 2007
NJ
Haha this thread was my first ever post on the erBB. I have a couple of quads in the rotation now and I am hooked.

Mar 21, 2009
Anyone ridden a Steve Boysen Quad?
I have a Lost Comp 4 that I use as my step up....and it goes like mad! Awesome board