Pyzel Wildcat twin

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Just to be clear on my position with the wing and fin box.
Isn't the wing supposed to create a break in the outline for pivot?
Isn't the fin a pivot point (especially since there are only 2 fins)?

Since the wing creates a break in the outline for pivot and the fin is the actual pivot point of the board... if you put the fin below the wing, wouldn't it work against the wing and make the board stiff or cause it to slide out? Why even put a wing, in that case.

I would presume that putting the back of the fin box in line with the wing would be the optimal position to maximize the break in the outline (the wing) and have it work together with the pivot point (the fin)?

@tedshred5 Probably... I think this one looks super fun.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
For sizing, go an inch or 2 under your Daily Driver type board, and a half inch to an inch wider and a touch more volume.

Dims on this don't make much sense to me. If a stock 5'10" Phantom is my daily driver then according to the site I should surf a 5'8" Wildcat, but at that size stock is barely wider and is the same volume as the phantom.

Pricing on these is equal to a twinsman now

• Wow
Reactions: sdsrfr

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Since the wing creates a break in the outline for pivot and the fin is the actual pivot point of the board... if you put the fin below the wing, wouldn't it work against the wing and make the board stiff or cause it to slide out? Why even put a wing, in that case.

I would presume that putting the back of the fin box in line with the wing would be the optimal position to maximize the break in the outline (the wing) and have it work together with the pivot point (the fin)?

the wing placement just creates a different sensation. You're convinced one is right or wrong visually, but the shapers place it where they think it would work best with all the other design choices on the bottom of the boar.
Would be interesting to do a blind test and not look at the wing-to-fin placement... and see if you could actually tell the difference when surfing. If the design as a whole is working in harmony, I doubt I could pinpoint that element... but then I suck at sarfing.

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010

You're overthinking it. It's a means to use a straighter rail line throughout most of the board outline to promote drive, and then have rapid area reduction in the tail to gain control over what would be a wide tail if the outline were to continue without the wing or a bump.

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
Do Australian surfers have the best style because they have better surf or is it something else I wonder...
long right hand sand bottom points of northern NSW and southern Qld certainly help. I also think it also has to do with who the previous/current generation grew up watching also. Whilst the momentum videos were big in US and featured a lot of "tricks" in California waves, a lot of Aussies were watching the Pulse series, filmed mostly around the gold coast and North Coast with predominantly power surfers like margo, occy, NPJ, Luke Egan, Trent Munro etc along with young Parko, Fanning, Dingo

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
long right hand sand bottom points of northern NSW and southern Qld certainly help. I also think it also has to do with who the previous/current generation grew up watching also. Whilst the momentum videos were big in US and featured a lot of "tricks" in California waves, a lot of Aussies were watching the Pulse series, filmed mostly around the gold coast and North Coast with predominantly power surfers like margo, occy, NPJ, Luke Egan, Trent Munro etc along with young Parko, Fanning, Dingo
As an Aussie who grew up watching Occy, Tommy gun etc on repeat I found some of the momentum series small wave stuff ridiculous (a lot of amazing stuff too). Dudes looked like their fins were clustered half way up the board, no drive, 360’s and slides everywhere.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
it's the waves and the culture, long points breed good style
Long points does breed style as it gives you a lot of time to work out your kinks / observe others, but sometimes that translates to surfing like dogshit on the beachies for joe Average guys like me :D The difference in my surfing when I'm on a longer wall VS short punchy beachie is not insignificant.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

Since the wing creates a break in the outline for pivot and the fin is the actual pivot point of the board... if you put the fin below the wing, wouldn't it work against the wing and make the board stiff or cause it to slide out?
Stiff is the opposite of slidey.

Why even put a wing, in that case.
Good question. Why does a twin need more pivot? They windshield wipery as hell to begin w/ (if you're into that sort of thing). I'd rather turn on a rail.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Except sometimes the wing/flyer is there to add area and make a straighter rail line for better drive. (e.g. Terry Fitz)