Pyzel White Tiger

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Interesting, I just decided to up my board dims substantially. I'm 5'10 175lbs 36yo

Was on a 5'4" x 21 x 2 3/8 fish now on 5'6" x 21 1/2 x 2 5/8 so going from ~31l to 34.5l.

On a good clean wave the 5'4" still felt amazing, but I felt like I was getting into a lot of waves late if they were kinda average. Never really felt like much of a problem on NS with all the push even small waves have. I've probably overshot the goal by a yard, but we'll see how the new board goes. I reckon I'll probably land on somewhere in the middle feeling good in terms of foam and shredability.
I used to ride around 30 liters and upped to 33-35 over time. I think you get used to it and learn to use the foam to get places sooner and learn how to use your rail more on turns. Whenever I hear guys talk about not wanting to go up in volume as they get older cause they don't want to compromise shredding I have to laugh inside as I think about guys in the 80s and 70s riding way bigger boards and doing way better turns than these guys ever will. I also catch 2x more waves than them.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I used to ride around 30 liters and upped to 33-35 over time. I think you get used to it and learn to use the foam to get places sooner and learn how to use your rail more on turns. Whenever I hear guys talk about not wanting to go up in volume as they get older cause they don't want to compromise shredding I have to laugh inside as I think about guys in the 80s and 70s riding way bigger boards and doing way better turns than these guys ever will. I also catch 2x more waves than them.
I think it's a slow downward slide into the inevitable epiphany that you need more volume. Over a few years, my number-of-good-waves-in-a-session slowly but steadily declined... and then one day I realized I was about about JJF's size.... riding similar-ish volume to the freakishly talented World Champ... in my late 30s... working a desk job.... with injuries.... surfing about 4x a week.... in california... I laugh at that fool.

Going up in volume has brought more joy to my surfing than anything in recent years. I think you can add foam while keeping shreddability too – whether it's keeping the rails as you like 'em; changing bottom contours; stretching the board out; whatever.

Last edited:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
This 59yo says yes to all of that.

Rode low 30s 10 years ago, now on ~35L shorties and 37-40L step ups. And I love my high 40s Chilli and fat guns as soon as I can get away with riding them.

Last weekend I watched my 50yo mate on my Chilli. He's an average surfer like me, but I reckon he looked better than young guys on HPSBs trying to rip.

Crucial to surfing well on bigger boards is leg strength, and I've been neglecting that. Gotta be able to push hard against all that rail and volume.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Been riding my swallowtail Gremlin XL the past few days. It’s such a fun graveler / junky wave boar for SoCal spring conditions . I’m not sure how much better of a groveler the WT could be… but I kinda wanna find out!
Whats the upper limit of your Gremlin? Considering swallowtail Gremlin or Pyzalien 2 XL

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Looks like jjf rode a too short of a board, was it the red tiger? Any you guys know?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Whats the upper limit of your Gremlin? Considering swallowtail Gremlin or Pyzalien 2 XL
I think it depends more on the shape. It eats up junky waves. I’ve had it in Shoulder high waves but onshore sloppy / slopey.
That said, P2XL is shockingly versatile and would have a pretty decent lower end too, while handling OH waves.
Would be a pretty good 1-2 punch for almost everything, with overlap in the middle.

Last edited:

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
it sounds like the White Tiger is more of what I was expecting the Gremlin to be.
Yeah right. And its nice that he said the white tiger is more of a fish. Should be very good. I have a 5’5 original twin astro (not the pop version). Man I love that board.

Reactions: Pyzelsurfboards

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
The tigers look like $hit in all the footage I’ve seen - JJF’s surfing looks so much better on the ghost n shadow.

maybe some of the worst surfing I’ve seen of Salsa - on the white tiger.