Pyzel 'Shadow'

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Noel Salas is dropping his review of this new model tomorrow

from Surf_n_Show insta feed -
'Stoked to say that we are dropping the “Shadow” review this Monday! The Shadow is Pyzel’s new HPSB addition to the Ghost family. I got two boards... one PU/Poly with Futures and one EPS with FCSII. Both boards are custom at 5’7” x 18.75 x 2.31 Liters 25.5. The Shadow was submitted by Jon Pyzel for the 2018/2019 Stab In The Dark Project featuring Mick Fanning as the mystery surfer. The black board in this photo is a limited edition #33/50 boards made in HI by Jon that is similar to the one Mick rode. Stay tuned!!! '

looks like a racier version of the phantom based off the yet to be released 'stab in the dark' board they did for Mick Fanning,

https://www.pyzelsurfboards.com/index.php?page=surfboard-details&id=6408

stock dims:

5'8" x 18 1/2" x 2 1/4" 24.90L
5'9" x 18 5/8" x 2 1/4" 25.40L
5'10" x18 3/4" x 2 5/16" 27.00L
5'11" x 18 7/8" x 2 3/8" 28.00L
6'0" x 19" x 2 7/16" 29.50L
6'1" x 19 1/4" x 2 1/2" 30.90L
6'2" x 19 1/4" x 2 1/2" 32.30L
6'3" x 19 1/2" x 2 5/8" 33.80L
6'4" x 19 3/4" x 2 11/16" 35.50L
6'6" x 19 7/8" x 2 3/4" 37.50L

having ridden a phantom for some time now i'm pretty interested in this one having more nose rocker than the phantom and being a bit more refined overall towards an hpsb.

Reactions: Aardwolf

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Sounds like a good time. Will probably get one when XTR starts offering them.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
I wonder if Pyzel knows it did well in the upcoming SITD. IT would be a bummer to release a board then have it get bagged on a week or so later when they release SITD. Although Jordy talking poop about the Hayden was my favorite part in the last one.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Watched the review,,, and surprise it works well and he likes the 4.6 pound eps best . he is also learning that he can use a smaller back fin lol

Good times

Hope JP does well , he has been doing stringerless eps for a while now so he has a good shot at winning

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
if anyone wants to embed the youtube vid as i can't get that to work anymore...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LccYkOon3kM

looks pretty lively under his feet, almost like he's struggling to keep up at times.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Got to take mine out today for the first time in some pretty weak stuff just to get it in the water. First impression...such a well balanced shortboard! Paddles nice, catches waves easily, and feels really stable under my feet and on turns. I didn't have any wobbles or rail digs, board just clicked form the first wave. Digging this alot more than the Phantom I had that never worked out. Need more sessions on it, but first outing...i'm impressed.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Stoked to hear you're digging it trifish.

I've had some great HPSB's in the past couple years but the Shadow is near the top of the heap for me. Feels like enough rocker to do whatever you want but not so much that you are having to work your ass off for speed. Catches waves really well, drives off the front foot and carries speed through flat spots. Loves a good juicy wave but will hold it's own in marginal waves as long as there is size or push. I like the Phantom too but it wasn't an instant connection, had to work at figuring it out whereas the Shadow just felt natural from the first session. Mine is XTR SL-CK team light build. Might go heavier glassed one an inch longer with a round tail next.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Awesome, sounds spot on to what I was experiencing. If it works well in juicy stuff also this board is going to get alot of miles from me. Do you usually go with the CK stringers? I've always gotten the standard wooden stringers on my XTR's. Do you find they feel noticeably different under you?

Reactions: Pyzelsurfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
This was my first non wood stringered XTR out of like 6 total boards from them. It does feel a little less rigid like I can load it up off the bottom a bit more. I think it helps the low end with how light it is but I've ridden it in pretty big chunky waves as well and haven't really felt a downside. If I do get the CK construction I'll go yellow because I've gained about 10lbs. since I ordered this one in the red flex pattern. I really like the wood stringer XTR as well so will probably just depend on how rich I'm feeling.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@Aruka Shiv or Shadow? You gotta pick one.
That's such a tough one. I feel like I'm still on a honeymoon with the Shiv and loving it whereas I've had the Shadow for months and it's been a consistent favorite. Since you're in Hawaii and we're coming in to winter I'd probably go with the Shadow. It handles the juice slightly better.

Same question as racer1, but also have does the Shiv compare vs a GX?
All the GX's I've owned have all been short like 6-0 to 6-2 and the Shiv is a 6-4. Still, there is some overlap as far as how they perform in similar sized waves. The GX probably grovels a little better with the lower rocker through the midsection but gives up some control in juicy surf. That could be partially due to the GX's being shorter so there's less rail line but I also think the Shiv has more "effective" rocker overall. It's more of a smooth curve without that lower staged section that the GX has through the middle. To me the Shiv feels like it has quite a bit of rocker but the wider forward outline and foam flow give it a bit of additional paddle and glide compared to other HPSB's. The thing I would definitely caution about the Shiv is the importance of getting the thickness right.

Reactions: trifish

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
whatz diff bet shadow n phantom?
phantom is wider nose and tail. it's a step down but not really as much of a groveler as GX or Subdriver, etc. it catches waves well but feels like a bit too much tail rocker to really make the most of weak surf. both shadow and phantom have same or very similar mid-to-tail rocker but shadow has a little more nose rocker which combined with a narrower tail allows the nose to get out of the way a lot easier. shadow is a slightly easier to ride hpsb but still a hpsb. it wants a wave with push and a competent pilot. phantom is kind of it's own thing. it's either the best or the worst of both worlds depending on how you look at it.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Haven't tried the shadow yet - but above breakdown sounds pretty spot on. I absolutely love my phantom as a DD. But I generally surf dumpy quick beachbreaks, which is pretty different from what I surfed when I lived on the west coast. So I like the condensed package. Looking to get a shadow for our good clean days and travel. Also have a ghost that I really like. To complicate things a little more, guys seem to really like the pyzalien, which seems to fit right in between the phantom/shadow in terms of dimensions/volume.

Just for reference, I'm just under 6'0 x 175. Ride a stock phantom (5'10" x 19.5" x 2.5"/30L). Slightly oversized custom ghost (6'0"x 19.63" x 2.6"). Also had a stock 5'8" gremlin (just sold - good board but too much overlap with others). Was thinking of trying a shadow or pyzalien around 5'11" x 19 1/4" x 2.5"/around 30 L. The longer HPSBs just don't seem to 'fit' as well in our waves. But at the same time, I'm never sure if messing with dims messes with the design too much.

Reactions: trifish and Aruka