Pyzel Pyzalien

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Hey there, chaps and chapettes.

After another great surf on my Pyz2 today, I thought the Pyzalien deserved its own thread. Why do I love it? Let me count the ways:

- Huge range! Handles 2 to 12ft faces without struggling at either end of that spectrum. (Am actually considering a 6'8 in 6'3 dims for when more rail and paddlepower is needed, but not necessarily step-up rocker, foil and rails.)
- So easy to surf.
- But still feels really HPSB spicy.
- Fast and lively, but smooth and positive. (The wide swallow makes it drivey and fast, but the late vee keeps it controllable. My theory, fwiw.)

Would love to hear your opinions and experiences, and in the meantime I'll search the forum and collate the relevant posts floating about in other threads.

Bravo, Jon!

Last edited:

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Great board. Bought a custom 6'1" in SD, snapped it, bought a 6'2" stock and picked it up on the North Shore this trip. Both boards easily handled everything I've thrown them into up to about double overhead across SD, Costa Rica, and Hawaii.

Reactions: MathDebater and Maz

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Great board. Bought a custom 6'1" in SD, snapped it, bought a 6'2" stock and picked it up on the North Shore this trip. Both boards easily handled everything I've thrown them into up to about double overhead across SD, Costa Rica, and Hawaii.
Took my old 6'0 to Indo twice, and it did really well. Couple of Aus trips too, incl sizey point surf during the 2016 Black NE swell.

Jul 1, 2009
agreed, good board.

2 of my pals who own PyzAliens both say the board 'surfs itself'. Can see it in their surfing too, less flapping and bum wiggling.

Rode one of the abovementioned at about 8-10l more than I normally ride and it was still loose and pivotty off the top. First impression whilst paddling out is that it reminded me of a mid 80's Spider Murphy thruster (with glass-ons and textured deck) ito outline, rocker, and thickness distribution. So my uneducated $0.02 of why the board goes so well is that it combines an 80's outline, rocker, and thickness foil with a more contemporary rail and bottom contour giving you the best of both worlds.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
I've got a 6'1 P2 enroute. Will hopefully fill the spot I wanted my SD2 to cover. Recently picked up a used DA Astro Pop as well. Pretty fun board but think I may prefer my Rad Ripper.

Reactions: SD_Dan

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
agreed, good board.

2 of my pals who own PyzAliens both say the board 'surfs itself'. Can see it in their surfing too, less flapping and bum wiggling.

Rode one of the abovementioned at about 8-10l more than I normally ride and it was still loose and pivotty off the top. First impression whilst paddling out is that it reminded me of a mid 80's Spider Murphy thruster (with glass-ons and textured deck) ito outline, rocker, and thickness distribution. So my uneducated $0.02 of why the board goes so well is that it combines an 80's outline, rocker, and thickness foil with a more contemporary rail and bottom contour giving you the best of both worlds.
You in CT?

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
@Maz did you notice any big differences going from the P1 to P2? I seem to remember Jon said in some of his vids that the main change was the rail apex at the same stock sizes, boxy vs full down rail

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
@Maz did you notice any big differences going from the P1 to P2? I seem to remember Jon said in some of his vids that the main change was the rail apex at the same stock sizes, boxy vs full down rail
Nah, I didn't really. I think the main difference is when doing the Under the Arm Test. The rails are not that different, it's just that the P1 had a flat deck, so they seemed chunkier - I think.

Edit: I never had the P1 and P2 side by side. The old P1 is sitting on the east coast with my in-laws.

Nice pic, nolibos!

Last edited:
Reactions: tedshred5