Pyzel Pyzalien

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Ridden only as Thruster Maz?

promo video shows rider using quad set-up and boards looks like it surfs great as quad.
Quad only, so far. Will start experimenting as soon as get over the wonderful new-board honeymoon period.

And see you in July. Flights booked, and hopes are high!

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
and what about highline and phantom? any overlap with P2 and shadow and mini ghost? LOL
Or should we just get all 5... Decisions are hard!

:socrazy:
I'd be curious how the P2 rocker profile compares to the Shadow. Shadow uses the Phantoms for the most part with a little flip at the nose. Pics i've seen makes me think the P2 has more rocker overall, but never actually seen one in person. Anybody running theirs as a thruster?

Reactions: j_mac

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'd be curious how the P2 rocker profile compares to the Shadow. Shadow uses the Phantoms for the most part with a little flip at the nose. Pics i've seen makes me think the P2 has more rocker overall, but never actually seen one in person. Anybody running theirs as a thruster?
When guys are saying P2 goes well in softer slopey waves and punchy BBs, it makes me curious about the rocker. I’m assuming fairly low entry rocker, and more out the tail. Maybe it’s sorcery

@Maz what quad set you like in a SB like this? I’m used to thrusters in a squash tail and ride quads in swallow or roundpins .

Last edited:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
@oeste858 these are the fins I'm running:

Yet to find a board they don't go really well in. Shorty to 7'6 gun. (Would love to find a set of Stretch quads. Have a feeling I'd love those.)

Re rocker, I might get the straightedge out later today and measure my 6'4 Ghost and 6'3 P2. I've often wondered what the magic might be, but never really investigated. Worth doing. From eyeballing it, however, it has low/mod entry, and mod tail rocker.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Yet to find a board they don't go really well in. Shorty to 7'6 gun. (Would love to find a set of Stretch quads. Have a feeling I'd love those.)
interesting. I would never have gone for those with the point at the tip.

Reactions: Maz

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Re rocker, I might get the straightedge out later today and measure my 6'4 Ghost and 6'3 P2. I've often wondered what the magic might be, but never really investigated. Worth doing. From eyeballing it, however, it has low/mod entry, and mod tail rocker.
Recently Dylan has Fin Unlimited S1 quad future set in stock :shaka:

Reactions: Maz

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I only ride mine as a thruster. AM2s.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Maz what do you think about ordering one custom sized up to 6'3" but with the dimensions slimmed down for my weight/height?

I'm going to need a bit of length coming back from this back injury and the Pyzalien has always spoken loudly to me.

Pyzel reckons to ride at normal shortboard height (which is 6'0" for me) but I think slightly sized up in "step-up" dimensions may work?

whaddya reckon?

Reactions: oeste858 and Maz

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
FR, that sounds good to me.

As you know I'm old and slow, so there's that. But at 6'1 my 6'3 still feels like a shorty, and you surf point waves more than fast-twitch beachies, so the extra inches make sense.

I asked Jon a few questions about a 6'8 in 6'3 dims, and he didn't cross himself and tell me I was insane. I'll pm you.

You know how Andy M has that longer Webster Outlaw (in essence a step down stretched to 7'6), and swears by it as a 'Desert Island' quiver of one? I reckon a stretched P2 would do that.

Hope your back starts healing asap.

Cheers

Reactions: chilly1 and Aruka

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Another good surf on the P2.

Really windy (30kt SSW), so large wooly takeoffs followed by clean walls. Some waves would fizzle to nothing, while others would run for 2-300m through the inside (two swells: short period wind swell and 15sec groundy).

Got bucked off by chop and whitewater a couple of times, but when I got my feet properly in the wax the board would hold really well. Hollow inside section was a joy, with shoulder high super fast runners.

It's a bloody good board.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
You guys ever feel like you get an extreme amount of lift in the tail on the p2 at times? Need to surf mine more, but after about 7 sessions so far the lift is causing some weird issues with me feeling really floaty off the backfoot at times

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Haven't had that feeling, at least not negatively. It does have a reasonable wide tail, and maybe that lift you speak of is one of the reasons it grovels so well.