Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Last edited:
Reactions: Maz

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I ran EAs for quite a while in my OG Paddi. No real complaints. They are stable and predictible. Good for covering ground in a straight line and still probably my choice for legit bit waves. Not impossible to turn but definitely best for more drawn out lines. This winter while surfing a big mushy reef I played around with smaller, more upright sets. The captain fin christenson set definitely loosened things up and made the big, but less than life threatening, waves a bit more fun. The board jas so much glide and hold that I dont think a lot of fin area is needed.

Not an apples to apples comparison to the Mini Paddi, given that I'm talking about the normal 7-10.

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
I ran EAs for quite a while in my OG Paddi. No real complaints. They are stable and predictible. Good for covering ground in a straight line and still probably my choice for legit bit waves. Not impossible to turn but definitely best for more drawn out lines. This winter while surfing a big mushy reef I played around with smaller, more upright sets. The captain fin christenson set definitely loosened things up and made the big, but less than life threatening, waves a bit more fun. The board jas so much glide and hold that I dont think a lot of fin area is needed.

Not an apples to apples comparison to the Mini Paddi, given that I'm talking about the normal 7-10.
Yes, sorry, I've meandered from talking about mini padi and fins for it, to padi fins and some of the new sets that may be happening in some padillacs. Couldn't help myself... ;)
Would still love to know what fins @Pyzelsurfboards is running himself in the mini-padi when he has a moment to chime in.

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Padillac fins felt pretty good in the mini padi.
Surfed them in overhead semi clean/semi stormy surf with a couple ones that threw out pretty round at the super low tide.
Felt looser then the EAs and smooth... no loss of speed that i could decipher, despite the 50/50 rears, though the waves had power.
There were a few moments that they almost felt too loose, but perhaps they're designed more for a true padi (longer board with longer rail line) than the mini (although mine is a longer one at 6'10).
Gonna stay with these padi fins for a while in the mini padi.
For reference for anyone who is interested (cause these quad sets are not cheap.) Here are some comparison photos of EAs and padi fins. Little hard to see cause of the color on the trailing edge, but I overlaid the padis on the EAs on the bottom ones.
Padis are a bit smaller and more upright.
Also 80/20 fronts and 50/50 rears.

Attachments

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Same question for me, also wondering MIni Paddiliac vs Ghost in 6'2 or 6'4 as EC barrel board.
I think it most definitely makes sense.
If I recall, the marketing photo used to announce the mini padi was a Jersey kegger!!!
http://instagr.am/p/ClRpgPmSDAQ/
I found one of the better explanations of the difference between the Ghost and MIni padi (for me) was on the Australian pyzel IG, as I was geeking out one early a.m.
Check the question and answer in the comments. I found pyzelau's answer (about outline, sweet spot, etc) to be accurate.

Size wise, i think it's gonna be personal preference. The tail of the mini padi is pretty narrow and foiled out, so I would think the smaller MPs will be for younger lighter rippers.
Full disclosure, I've felt up some ghosts ( they feell good) but have not surfed one, so can only comment on the mini padi. Best if you can lay hands on both cause they're pretty different, but I know that's not possible for everyone.
I also like weird boards so take that into account too ;)
Hope that helps

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

quite a few other deals on there as well.

Reactions: JDJ

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Most important question of all: what traction pad fits the tail of the mini-padillac??
I was just looking for a black pin/round tail traction pad over the weekend. Not a ton out there. I found pin/round tail specific pads by Shapers, Creatures, and Veia with a narrower kick.

Mar 25, 2009
I was just looking for a black pin/round tail traction pad over the weekend. Not a ton out there. I found pin/round tail specific pads by Shapers, Creatures, and Veia with a narrower kick.
There's also the flavor saver option I guess:

Although, holy !@#$balls they want $40 for it now???

• Haha
Reactions: trifish and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
There's also the flavor saver option I guess:

Although, holy !@#$balls they want $40 for it now???
Bra, don’t even get me started on traction pad inflation. It’s out of control.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
These are the ones i ran across when digging around. I ended up ordering the shapers one since it looked a bit more simple. The Veia one mentions it was designed for the ghost on their site and creatures talks about rhino chasers ha

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
For a narrow board pin board...this is what Sympl recommended. It worked well!
"For my step ups that have really narrow pin tails I use our No7 grovel pad and remove the center piece (so using only the two side pieces) this makes it similar to the No1 pad but is narrower. "