Pyzel Mini Padillac

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Nice Toobz! The 6'8 looks really good. What fins are you thinking?
The tail is pretty narrow, and foiled on mine which makes me feel like the right fin choice matters more.
I've had good luck with the EA control quads ( they have single foil rears, which I usually like). And on smaller days, with NVS AIPA horseman fins I had ( seem pretty much same size as the EA's just holding them next to each other, but have less area). I may try the EA's fronts with the aipa rears next just to experiment. I also have a set of pyzel padillac fins, that I use in my padillac, but havent tried em in the mini, as I just assumed the double foiled rears of that set may slow the mini- padi down a bit, as Im not using it in as large of waves as the actual padillac. I may be totally wrong on that, and that's probably my next try. Holding the pyzel padillac fins next to the EA's, they seem pretty similar with some minor differences, and of course double vs single foil rears.
FWIW, I called the Haleiwa shop this past weekend to ask what they've been liking fins wise in the mini-padi. Jon ( not pyzel) there, who is great, said he's been playing with fins in his mini-padi and has been really liking the Pyzel Neutral futures fins as a quad.
Curious what you guys end up liking fins wise, and if @Pyzelsurfboards had thoughts and fin recommendations.
Thanks

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Hi money4coffeeman, I was a bit limited with fin choice as I only took 2 sets with me. Tried it as a thruster (waves were smallish) with Dane L’s but didn’t like it. Went straight to the EA quads and it felt great. Shop guy suggested I use double foiled rears as single foil would feel too “directional” in this board but so far they’ve felt fine. I might try an old EA thruster set I have for peaky beach breaks but I think EA quads will be my go too.

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Thanks Maz :cheers:

Money4coffeeman, Jon might chime in here but I think I read somewhere he prefers the Mini Padi as a quad and uses the Padillac fins.

edit: just found the post and no mention of Padillac fins.

Last edited:
Reactions: money4coffeeman

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Hi money4coffeeman, I was a bit limited with fin choice as I only took 2 sets with me. Tried it as a thruster (waves were smallish) with Dane L’s but didn’t like it. Went straight to the EA quads and it felt great. Shop guy suggested I use double foiled rears as single foil would feel too “directional” in this board but so far they’ve felt fine. I might try an old EA thruster set I have for peaky beach breaks but I think EA quads will be my go too.
Nice! Yeah interesting comments from your shop guy on the single foiled rears making it more directional. One shaper I know and like in Hawaii told me the opposite lol. He likes single foiled in all his boards to "keep em more maneuverable ".
I guess obviously it depends on placement, and both the mini padi and padi have narrow tails so maybe that naturally puts the rears closer to the stringer where double foiled rears may work better?
Interesting side note to my convo with the haleiwa shop- they said that prior to the development of the pyzel padillac fins they used EA quads in the padillacs "all day".
Maybe Jon felt that in developing his own fin, the double foiled rears may smooth things out especially In huge waves.

Jun 23, 2003
North East
Nice! Yeah interesting comments from your shop guy on the single foiled rears making it more directional. One shaper I know and like in Hawaii told me the opposite lol. He likes single foiled in all his boards to "keep em more maneuverable ".
I guess obviously it depends on placement, and both the mini padi and padi have narrow tails so maybe that naturally puts the rears closer to the stringer where double foiled rears may work better?
Interesting side note to my convo with the haleiwa shop- they said that prior to the development of the pyzel padillac fins they used EA quads in the padillacs "all day".
Maybe Jon felt that in developing his own fin, the double foiled rears may smooth things out especially In huge waves.
I spent an entire season attempting to dial in quads in small/average waves and only thing I figured out, for me, was full foiled felt significantly slower and I much preferred flat inside foil. Makes me think perhaps in larger surf when speed isn't the goal "inside" foil might smooth things out...

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I spent an entire season attempting to dial in quads in small/average waves and only thing I figured out, for me, was full foiled felt significantly slower and I much preferred flat inside foil. Makes me think perhaps in larger surf when speed isn't the goal "inside" foil might smooth things out...
Yup.

I found that 80/20 rears work best for me on regular waves. I’ve got some 60/40 rears as well.

Quad fish with AM1 flat inside (side fins of a thruster set) in all four boxes was sick, bra.

Reactions: money4coffeeman

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Heard they are in one of the local shops so gonna fondle one up this arvo.

hope I don't walk out of the shop with a mini-pad underarm on a buy now/pay later scheme......because that would likely lead to divorce.

• Love
Reactions: Toobz and Retropete

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Good info above re:fins.
Between the EA's and the pyzel padillac fins I'm prob good to go on the mini padi and padi....but.... damn these look mental for these narrow tailed boards
Smaller and upright: could be damn fun even for non Peahi waves !?!?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Good info above re:fins.
Between the EA's and the pyzel padillac fins I'm prob good to go on the mini padi and padi....but.... damn these look mental for these narrow tailed boards
Smaller and upright: could be damn fun even for non Peahi waves !?!?
These come with my new 8'0:

http://instagr.am/p/Cbd4a4oBqaH/

ajmojave

OTF status
Aug 26, 2018
Dan Connell who won the 2013 South Bay Big Wave award loves his mini Padillac. Years back he got a custom Padillac that was pretty close to standard dims now for the mini’s dims for what he ordered. I’m pretty sure his MP is a 6’10 and he says it’s perfect for the handful of spots locally that require that sort of lumber. If I had to guess, I’d say he’s 6’1 160 ish.
Dan Connell is the man

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
Wow those soars look good Maz. The rears being bigger than the front make me flash on speedialer fins, which worked great, but obviously for a different application:

Your soars have more cant than the EAs and way more than the Padis or kempers.
I'm guessing that may have something to do either with the bottom contours on your gun maz (correct for a super deep concave?) Or just trying to free it up when coupled with an upright template and larger rears?

Interesting read here, and towards the middle they reference the kempers and a new fin set up for John johns paddillac, which surfline is calling a "twinzer" but not sure jobson would agree...

they do look interesting with smaller, super upright fronts and larger rears, ala your soar Quads above, but look way more pronounced.

What a friggin rabbit hole fin options become...
I got my bonzers so dialed in: biggest decision is 6.5 or 7" fin and 1/8th inch up or back...
This quad deal is rewarding but 4x the neurosis... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Maz and freeride76