Pyzel Mini Ghost

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yea, I have both. IMHO the bottom contours/rocker needs to suit the wave otherwise I feel like I’m fighting it.

Hi all, looking at custom ordering an MG squash or maybe even swallow for Queensland beach breaks here in Oz.

Really enjoyed and appreciated everyone's ride reports and feedback. I love the concept of the MG as I'm short (5'6) and like my DD around 5'4 27.5L for waist to HH WAVES. However, I keep hearing mixed reviews on the MG, it looks like it should grovel okayish but from the sound of it, it's a board that likes better waves?

Not sure whether to order a shortened and beefed up Pyzalien 2 or MG squash/swallow. Any more insights on the MG would be great.
Last night I actually watched the Noel Salas Pyzel quiver vid. He did a good job highlighting some attributes of the different models and direct comparisons to each other in similar conditions (lowers). Pretty much in line with my impressions riding ghost, gremlin, and limited time on MG and phantom. I also watched the MG review. Probably a good place for you to start

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Backfooted = most rocker curve from the middle to nose of the board, drive coming from the middle of the board to tail.

Front footed = Entry rocker is low, with most rocker curve 1/3 of the way back from the nose to the tail. Doesn't drive off the tail but instead the middle of the board.
so basically more entry rocker equals more of a backfooted board. The Highline, Radius, Shadow (to a certain degree), Next Step all would probably fit your definition .

Dec 23, 2017
Yea, I have both. IMHO the bottom contours/rocker needs to suit the wave otherwise I feel like I’m fighting it.

Last night I actually watched the Noel Salas Pyzel quiver vid. He did a good job highlighting some attributes of the different models and direct comparisons to each other in similar conditions (lowers). Pretty much in line with my impressions riding ghost, gremlin, and limited time on MG and phantom. I also watched the MG review. Probably a good place for you to start
Cheers for the reply @oeste858, I probably should have mentioned that I have watched and read just about every review/comment on the Web! Noel's latest quiver video has me leaning towards the MG. Sorry if I missed it in the thread but did you go a custom or are you one of those lucky guys that suit stock dimensions?

@Pyzelsurfboards, I listened to a podcast where you mentioned you were riding the MG as a swallow. Would you recommend the swallow over the a squash for 2-3ft beach breaks?

@

Reactions: Havoc and oeste858
Apr 11, 2012
Coastal
Wondering If I Oversized my Yolo MG Varial order ended up with the 5'10 and it feels huge and a bit corky. Me 5'10 180 in 4/3 and booties. Waves have been sh!t tho so... I have a feeling this board will work ok in head-high surf but what board doesn't. If you want to grovel I would undersize, especially in Varial foam as these boards hide a ton of foam. I will put this board on ice for the Fall sessions.

Reactions: SixtyGrit

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Wondering If I Oversized my Yolo MG Varial order ended up with the 5'10 and it feels huge and a bit corky. Me 5'10 180 in 4/3 and booties. Waves have been sh!t tho so... I have a feeling this board will work ok in head-high surf but what board doesn't. If you want to grovel I would undersize, especially in Varial foam as these boards hide a ton of foam. I will put this board on ice for the Fall sessions.
not sure if that's what you wanted, but don't think the MG was meant to be groveler. That would be Gremlin in that family.
I'm hoping chest high should be sweet spot for MG and presumably doesn't need quite as clean conditions as Ghost.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
MG not meant to be a groveler but if you wanna extend its lower range, put in some quads. Fwiw I’m 5’10 185# and my MG is a stock 5’10 squash tail, pu though.

Reactions: j_mac

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Cheers for the reply @oeste858, I probably should have mentioned that I have watched and read just about every review/comment on the Web! Noel's latest quiver video has me leaning towards the MG. Sorry if I missed it in the thread but did you go a custom or are you one of those lucky guys that suit stock dimensions?

@Pyzelsurfboards, I listened to a podcast where you mentioned you were riding the MG as a swallow. Would you recommend the swallow over the a squash for 2-3ft beach breaks?

@
I would not recommend swallow over squash. Squash is better in smaller waves

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@kool-aid did you give MG another go or already pull the ripcord. Saw this Stab Joyride and seemed like the reviewer Stace had some of the same issues. He seemed to like it as quad better

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I still have both the 5' 5" and 5' 6" Mini Ghost. My evaluation has stalled until we get waves again. I am still preferring the quad set-up in both boards. The 5' 5" is much easier to move around. After a hiatus, I surfed the 5' 6" over the weekend with my favorite quad set-up. Overall, the 5' 6" sizing is better for me, but prefer the 5' 5" feel on the wave. I like the drive AM2 fronts/NVS rears, it might be too much. I am going to try a different direction with the 5' 6" and see if it loosens the board up. I am going to try some smaller fins (AM1s thruster or Am1s/NVS rears and/or Stretch quads) and see how these go. I rewatched the STAB EAST with the Hos they liked smaller fins, something to try.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I still have both the 5' 5" and 5' 6" Mini Ghost. My evaluation has stalled until we get waves again. I am still preferring the quad set-up in both boards. The 5' 5" is much easier to move around. After a hiatus, I surfed the 5' 6" over the weekend with my favorite quad set-up. Overall, the 5' 6" sizing is better for me, but prefer the 5' 5" feel on the wave. I like the drive AM2 fronts/NVS rears, it might be too much. I am going to try a different direction with the 5' 6" and see if it loosens the board up. I am going to try some smaller fins (AM1s thruster or Am1s/NVS rears and/or Stretch quads) and see how these go. I rewatched the STAB EAST with the Hos they liked smaller fins, something to try.
Sounds like you need a 5'5 with 5'6 width and thickness dims.

You know what to do.

1657225717364.png

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
@kool-aid did you give MG another go or already pull the ripcord. Saw this Stab Joyride and seemed like the reviewer Stace had some of the same issues. He seemed to like it as quad better
I did get a chance to ride the board again and I’d say the last report I gave still rings true.

I haven’t pulled the rip cord just yet but I have quite a few boards coming through this fall so I think making it into the rotation is going to be pretty competitive.

Will probably give it another go or two through the fall while throwing it up on CL along side some other boards to see if can find a better home.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr and j_mac
Dec 23, 2017
Just curious to see what MG people are riding vs their weight and height? Also, if anyone went custom and added width and thickness to get their optimum volume and how that's worked out for you ?

I'm 41, 5'6 and around 155lb or (70kg), I feel getting the length right on a board is most important so that my natural stance is hitting the sweet spot. I'm thinking of taking the stock 5'4 x 18 5/8 x 2 3/8 = 25.8L and pumping it up to 5'4 x 19 x 2 1/2 = 27.7L and having the rails refined a touch. Love to hear your thoughts.