Pyzel Mini Ghost

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
I know it's getting a little crowded in the Ghost "family", but the MG is built off of a 5'5'' Ghost that I shrunk down for Koa Smith. I had to figure out a way to add foam into such a tiny board without loosing the stuff that makes the Ghost so much fun to ride. I have been having a hard time explaining what makes it different, but you kinda hit on most of that there. The easiest way to see the differences is in person- pick one out of the rack at your local surfshop and you will see that it is definitely unique compared to any of my other shapes (and yes, it does look a bit like something out of the mid-80's). All I know is that I love mine and so far the public feedback has been nothing but positive. I've said it before, but I am not trying to pump out new models so I can sell more boards (especially in our current, booming biz situation), we are just making boards that I hope will make people even more stoked to go surfing.

Also here is what I sent to my crew to help explain the MG vs Phantom questions we are getting everyday:

Main things are MG is a lot chunkier in the rails and up front (because of the beak flattening out the deck rocker and adding foam), MG squash has hip/bump which straightens out the outline behind the wide point giving it a little extra squirt off the bottom/top turns and a wide tail block, and the MG also has less overall rocker (nose and tail) so it will get up on top of the water and up to speed quickly and also flow through flat spots really well
do u guys accepot dogecoin?

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
The shop near me has some in stock but only w/ fcs2 boxes. I’ve been eyeing the 5’7”. Normally ride future fins but don’t know if I want to wait a few months for the next batch. Any fcs/fcs2 fin recommendations for this bird?
I can't recommend fcs fins for the Mini Ghost but I can strongly recommend Griffin's largest thruster set for the Ghost. I have a ghost round tail after having a Phantom round tail and got Griffin's thruster set for my Ghost after liking the Ghost with large performers in it but wanting a little more ease engaging the board in the carve and out of the carve - if that makes sense. The Griffins did exactly what I wanted. The Ghost with the Griffins is perfect for me in punchy chest high surf and above.

For what its worth, having had the Phantom and the Ghost in the same volume but with 2" differences in length, it makes sense that Pyzel made this mini Ghost. The Phantom has range higher than advertised but the Ghost is a better board for me and has a lower range than I expected. The mini and the OG Ghost sized right seem like they would cover the size surf of almost everyone.

Reactions: Pyzelsurfboards

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I can't recommend fcs fins for the Mini Ghost but I can strongly recommend Griffin's largest thruster set for the Ghost. I have a ghost round tail after having a Phantom round tail and got Griffin's thruster set for my Ghost after liking the Ghost with large performers in it but wanting a little more ease engaging the board in the carve and out of the carve - if that makes sense. The Griffins did exactly what I wanted. The Ghost with the Griffins is perfect for me in punchy chest high surf and above.

For what its worth, having had the Phantom and the Ghost in the same volume but with 2" differences in length, it makes sense that Pyzel made this mini Ghost. The Phantom has range higher than advertised but the Ghost is a better board for me and has a lower range than I expected. The mini and the OG Ghost sized right seem like they would cover the size surf of almost everyone.
I am slowly working my way down the range. I've got a paddy, tank, ghost and shadow so now all I need is the gremlin and MG to make the quiver complete

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Interesting. Most people here were recommending smaller fins for the Ghost rather than larger.

I've always used mine with the JJF Medium set (I'm 160 lbs) but was thinking I might try some larger fins just to see how it goes.

I don't ride a shortboards much, mostly just the Ghost when it's bombing and eggs below that. Tried my friends Phantom on an average day and it didn't really impress me much but I really connect with the Ghost and even though I ride it infrequently, it just works.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Anyone remember the lost mini-driver?

Looks like a fun board but not on the shortlist.

Agree with others... shouldn't this essentially yield a phantom???

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Had a Mini Driver. Good board but needed a wave to make it go. You could kinda make it work with quads on the smaller end of things but really wanted a shoulder high plus wave to get going.

Closer to the Ghost than the Mini-Ghost.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I wonder if what folks who didn’t like the phantom but liked the ghost was resulting from the added concave (center rocker flattened) while still having the same rail rocker as the ghost?

anyone felt up the bottom of one of these?

Reactions: oeste858

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid

Had a Mini Driver, and it was a great board. Very very different from the Ghost rockers, though: low tail rocker, so it had a solid gas pedal under the back foot.

Also, fat rails, so nowhere near the slice and hold of the Ghost, and more suited to normal size waves. (Mine was a stretched out 6'3 x 19 1/4 (from memory).

Reactions: MathDebater

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I wish there were more low tail rocker (stock) boards around. That was something I really liked about the Mini Driver, made for very powerful feeling longer carves. Felt really good frontside in particular.

Had a Mini Driver, and it was a great board. Very very different from the Ghost rockers, though: low tail rocker, so it had a solid gas pedal under the back foot.

Also, fat rails, so nowhere near the slice and hold of the Ghost, and more suited to normal size waves. (Mine was a stretched out 6'3 x 19 1/4 (from memory).

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm a bit confused. Are you guys talking about Mini Drivers just because it has the same word Mini in the name? I don't know Lost models at all. Do they appear to be similar to the Pyzels in some way? Or we just moving on to a new topic LOL

Last edited:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I think it came up because of the "Mini" and it's available as a round tail but otherwise, not much similarity.

Although Matt seems to have sense of humor because they used a caricature of the actress Minnie Driver in some of the ads which was sorta clever.

Usual Design Forum thread derail. Part of the charm.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I wish there were more low tail rocker (stock) boards around. That was something I really liked about the Mini Driver, made for very powerful feeling longer carves. Felt really good frontside in particular.
Low tail rocker for you:

• Love
Reactions: MathDebater