Pyzel Mini Ghost

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i feel like chonky little 80's thrusters were making a comeback but their peak yolo moment was interrupted by torren/asher twin fin antics.

for the average joeloer i think the widish, flattish, beaky three fin is hard to top. especially if you were someone who veered away from thrusters at the height of their glass slipper stupidity but still sometimes long for that predictability and control.

having one of the best in the game like mr. pyzel take some user friendly 80's cues and combine it with the design refinements of the past 30 ish years seems like a pretty safe bet for a good time.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
The shop near me has some in stock but only w/ fcs2 boxes. I’ve been eyeing the 5’7”. Normally ride future fins but don’t know if I want to wait a few months for the next batch. Any fcs/fcs2 fin recommendations for this bird?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Anyone spot squab stonk in SD, preferably north county?

Looks like pyzel oside mostly has round tails.

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I saw one in person yesterday. The squashtail. My buddy was shredding on it.
Fck me if it didn't look amazing.
Looked like a 80's Minami thruster from T&C.
clearly stolen from the Rad Ripper. Which was stolen from the snthetic 84, which was stolen from 1986 in hawaii in this garage where greg told wade what a squash tail was

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
also a bump in the tail on the squash, lower rocker.

so different planshape, different rocker, different foam distribution. but it's a mini ghost lolz.
I know it's getting a little crowded in the Ghost "family", but the MG is built off of a 5'5'' Ghost that I shrunk down for Koa Smith. I had to figure out a way to add foam into such a tiny board without loosing the stuff that makes the Ghost so much fun to ride. I have been having a hard time explaining what makes it different, but you kinda hit on most of that there. The easiest way to see the differences is in person- pick one out of the rack at your local surfshop and you will see that it is definitely unique compared to any of my other shapes (and yes, it does look a bit like something out of the mid-80's). All I know is that I love mine and so far the public feedback has been nothing but positive. I've said it before, but I am not trying to pump out new models so I can sell more boards (especially in our current, booming biz situation), we are just making boards that I hope will make people even more stoked to go surfing.

Also here is what I sent to my crew to help explain the MG vs Phantom questions we are getting everyday:

Main things are MG is a lot chunkier in the rails and up front (because of the beak flattening out the deck rocker and adding foam), MG squash has hip/bump which straightens out the outline behind the wide point giving it a little extra squirt off the bottom/top turns and a wide tail block, and the MG also has less overall rocker (nose and tail) so it will get up on top of the water and up to speed quickly and also flow through flat spots really well