Pyzel Highline is out

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Rusty has talked about actual amounts of rocker in his podcasts before. Here is something I found for what its worth..??..

It would be cool if all shapers started dropping actual measurements / values into their descriptions, but maybe they are being a bit secretive on purpose.

I like to have a very general idea of how the rocker curve is balanced.

If feel like this is something very valuable from a "Will it work for me?" perspective.

No numbers needed.

There is no reason why a shaper would need to keep this secret but most of them never mention it.

Some do. CI and Xanadu come to mind.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I wouldn't mind trying one just to see how it compares to the Shadow which I like a lot. I remember Jon saying the Highlines rocker is based around the 74 which I've never tried. Nic von Rupp seemed to like it a lot in his testing. I'm on hpsb's less and less these days though.

Also Pyzel has been great at sharing specs on boards as of lately. I imagine he will do the same for the Highline when its integrated into their site. Didn't see it on there now, but he has them for some existing models like the shadow.

Attachments

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Good morning. I just read through all of the above comments and I will try to fill in some gaps in info here-
What's different? It's a new design I made based off the "74" rocker that Dane liked for the Stab in the Dark a long time ago (2016 seems like 30 years ago at this point!). It's simply a normal, pointy nosed HPSB, but asking why we would make a new one is kind of weird, since all surfboard designs ride differently and I know that I always get stoked to try new boards and get new feelings from riding a wave. I'm not gonna stop making new designs just because I have come up with some boards that work well- my whole life is built around that process. There is no "selling point" beyond the idea that it is a good design (based on my team feedback) in the HPSB category and if that type of board is your thing then you might want to try one.
It's designed with high performance surfing in mind, so it is not for everyone.
As far as the actual design it sits in with our other pointy HPSB , the Radius, but it has less tail rocker, a different outline, and a bit more volume. It is an updated version of our much-loved, but under-marketed "74" model, which many of my team riders have liked over the past 5 years.
If anyone has any specific ?s for me about it hit me up here.
thanks-JP

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to babble too much but I just went to the description I wrote out about the High Line and I think it has a few more details than the first thing posted up top here. Here it is copy/pasted below:

Designed to excel in average-to-good waves, and based off our popular and versatile “74” model (Dane Reynolds’ choice as his favorite board in the 2016 Stab in the Dark)
We left the rocker un-changed, but updated the foil and outline to fit our idea of a modern HPSB.
The bottom features a medium/high rocker, with single concave all the way through. This combination of contours and curves generates lift for quick acceleration, holding speed, and drive.
The outline widepoint is just back from center and it has a pronounced hip that adds drive while creating a pivot point that allows for snappy, vertical surfing.
As with the “74”, the deck is slightly flatter than our other boards, with more volume pushed out towards the rail. The rail itself is refined, not boxy, keeping it sensitive and easy to push through turns.
When compared to our Radius model (as these two are similar to each other in our range), The Radius has more overall rocker and is more suited to punchy waves with some curve in the face.
The High Line’s rocker is slightly flatter, nose and tail, and thus tends to hold more speed in weaker waves and carry speed through flatter waves more easily, while still having enough rocker to allow for easy vertical surfing.
Additionally the Highline stock sizing has a bit more width and volume per size (most are about ½ to 1 liter more volume) so that adds float and carry in smaller waves.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Sorry to babble too much but I just went to the description I wrote out about the High Line and I think it has a few more details than the first thing posted up top here.
Thanks for posting additional description. I think many of us get a bit confused trying to compare similar models to each other- like you've done with the Radius above. We attempt to translate the descriptions into practical terms to help us decide which Pyzel HPSB would work best for our surfing style and waves/conditions we typically surf. Marketing the Ghost "family" of boards was genius as it kept things simple for us overthinkers!
So, what conditions would make your team grab the High Line over say, a Shadow?

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Does anyone make a HPSB for the forever-intermediate, desk-bound, non-abs-having man? Who's got a 5'11" tuned for the guy in his mid-thirties that weighs 180lbs ? The only boards I know of that fit that criteria are usually labeled as being for shitty waves. Or should I just put my beer down and get on the treadmill?
T Patterson IF-15 (Italo model) was an eye opener for me. Has a lot of volume and mellow-ish rocker but is very high performance. It's what Italo rides on tour, but Timmy said he's got 60 year olds riding it as well.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Sorry to babble too much but I just went to the description I wrote out about the High Line and I think it has a few more details than the first thing posted up top here. Here it is copy/pasted below:

Designed to excel in average-to-good waves, and based off our popular and versatile “74” model (Dane Reynolds’ choice as his favorite board in the 2016 Stab in the Dark)
We left the rocker un-changed, but updated the foil and outline to fit our idea of a modern HPSB.
The bottom features a medium/high rocker, with single concave all the way through. This combination of contours and curves generates lift for quick acceleration, holding speed, and drive.
The outline widepoint is just back from center and it has a pronounced hip that adds drive while creating a pivot point that allows for snappy, vertical surfing.
As with the “74”, the deck is slightly flatter than our other boards, with more volume pushed out towards the rail. The rail itself is refined, not boxy, keeping it sensitive and easy to push through turns.
When compared to our Radius model (as these two are similar to each other in our range), The Radius has more overall rocker and is more suited to punchy waves with some curve in the face.
The High Line’s rocker is slightly flatter, nose and tail, and thus tends to hold more speed in weaker waves and carry speed through flatter waves more easily, while still having enough rocker to allow for easy vertical surfing.
Additionally the Highline stock sizing has a bit more width and volume per size (most are about ½ to 1 liter more volume) so that adds float and carry in smaller waves.
This is super helpful @Pyzelsurfboards. The way I'm reading it is that it would kind of sit between the shadow and radius which I appreciate. Sign me up - I'll be ordering one.

Reactions: sjlist

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It's simply a normal, pointy nosed HPSB, but asking why we would make a new one is kind of weird, since all surfboard designs ride differently
Wonderfully stated.

It makes me chuckle when I hear people say stuff like "All those white pointy-nosed HPSBs are basically the same.":crazy2:

Can you give a little more insight to the rocker - is this a more backfooted board? i.e. most curve from the middle to nose? or most curve starting a bit down from the nose and accelerating though the tail? even?

Apr 18, 2021
@casa_mugrienta

On the 74 (the board it was modeled after), the front rocker is a medium entry with a medium-high exit out the tail. I feel the flatter deck and behind center wide point make the tail rocker feel a little flatter than advertised (descriptions say medium/high but Dane Reynolds said it had a flat rocker in Stab in the Dark). The rails feel full around the wide point and there is a lot of lift in the tail which gives the board a lot of drive. The tail also seems more pulled in and thinner than something like the Shadow which makes it easier to pivot up and down the wave face (snappy). As far as it being a "back footed" board, I would say it is a neutral-back foot board just because much of the drive and performance seems to be generated in the back half and the nose has a more narrow HPSB shape/rocker.

I should note that I have only ridden the 74 in a stock 5'9 x 18 3/4 x 2 1/4 (24.8L) so I am not sure if the board feels any different if you change the dims. Based on the description from @Pyzelsurfboards, it sounds like the Highline is a "daily driver" version of the 74 as the dims/vol are almost exactly the same if you increase the thickness by 1/8in:

Highline
5'8 x 2 5/8 x 2 5/16 (24.9L) - Stock dims

5'8 x 2 5/8 x 2 5/16 (25L) - Dims according the Pyzel custom order engine

@kool-aid is probably correct in saying that the Highline (and 74) is between a Shadow and Radius. It seems like a good compromise between the flow/glide of the Shadow and vertical performance of the Radius.

For a video review and footage of the Highline see below:

Nic Von Rupp Pyzel Board Review (Highline included)

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021

@Pyzelsurfboards What are the differences between the Highline and its 'predecessor' the 74?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Does anyone make a HPSB for the forever-intermediate, desk-bound, non-abs-having man? Who's got a 5'11" tuned for the guy in his mid-thirties that weighs 180lbs ? The only boards I know of that fit that criteria are usually labeled as being for shitty waves. Or should I just put my beer down and get on the treadmill?
The Speed Monkey is a 70′s style single fin also comes as a twin fin, with wing pin swallow or simple swallow tail.

Its for you speed junkies, frothers and retro lovers. The Speed Monkey is a premium high performance craft developed with surfing legend and world champion Beau Young.

This board is made for fast and hollow waves as well as your local beachies, for classic lines and flow.

1623245457345.jpeg

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
@Pyzelsurfboards What are the differences between the Highline and its 'predecessor' the 74?
It's an updated version of the original 74 (a hand shaped board in 2016)-- reworked the outline based on my current design ideas (wider in the nose and tail block, moved the hip, etc.) , changed the thickness flow (touch more foam forward under the chest area), and rail shape a bit. Stock dims are a bit fuller than 74 dims.
Kept the bottom contours and rocker the same as the original.
It's got less tail rocker than the Radius, thus generates and carries speed a little easier in shittier waves