Pyzel Ghost?

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Has anyone had success running the Ghost as a quad? If so, what fins are you using?
I don't f around with fins all to much. If it works it works. May have tried Stretch FU S2's. But AM2s honeycombs up front always. HS rears for quad. Mines been set up as a thruster recently thou since I've dusted er off this fall.

Dependable board and easy to get back on after not surfing much summer and small early fall riding mid, fish, and chonk 80s inspired SB. Paddles, makes drops, and lays on a rail like no other board I have. I dont always surf mine when its top to bottom either. Pretty much my go to HPSB and really only one I have. 6' 195 5mill fulltime 50 years young and ride 6'3" stock and would consider a 6'4".

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah I feel like with a few solid fun cold winter days under my belt, I really won’t ride any other board when there are actual waves. take it to nica for an off season swell and put it through its paces at overhead colorado, and I doubt I’ll ride another board for years. im 5’10 and 175 on the stock 6 0

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
That is good stuff to hear! Thank you.
As for the sizing up issue, one thing that is tough when looking at stock dims is that I am adding width and thickness as the boards get longer, so they can feel quite a bit bigger as they grow. The 6'1'' you have is 19 1/2 '' and the 6'4'' jumps up to 20'' which is a pretty big difference. If I was to design a 6'4'' for you based off your current 6'1'' I would not go that wide at all, more like 19 5/8 or 19 3/4, and probably only up to 2 3/4 thick, not the 2 7/8 that the stock dims are (I am more concerned about the width than the thickness). I could be off here, and maybe you are totally comfortable with that jump, since that is a personal thing.
Thank you, Pyzel.

Reactions: Pyzelsurfboards

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Paddles, makes drops, and lays on a rail like no other board I have.
Your post actually inspired me to take the ghost I got second hand a while ago for its first spin. I was a bit intimidated by the foiled out tail, "saving it for later".
Today was well overhead but not particularly hollow on a righthand point (my backhand). We clicked on the first wave... Don't think I've ever had that happen, and was definitely not expecting it with the ghost. Once the surf gets a bit chunkier, I tend to be a bit of a safety surfer, particularly so on my backhand. Found myself taking of deeper and later and (successfully) attacking the lip where I usually wouldn't have. Despite this confidence boost in more critical parts of the wave the board felt surprisingly nimble and carried speed well on the smaller/fatter ones I got. I'm sold :love:
6'2 190lbs on a stock 6'1.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Your post actually inspired me to take the ghost I got second hand a while ago for its first spin. I was a bit intimidated by the foiled out tail, "saving it for later".
Today was well overhead but not particularly hollow on a righthand point (my backhand). We clicked on the first wave... Don't think I've ever had that happen, and was definitely not expecting it with the ghost. Once the surf gets a bit chunkier, I tend to be a bit of a safety surfer, particularly so on my backhand. Found myself taking of deeper and later and (successfully) attacking the lip where I usually wouldn't have. Despite this confidence boost in more critical parts of the wave the board felt surprisingly nimble and carried speed well on the smaller/fatter ones I got. I'm sold :love:
Nice! I rarely get ghost worthy waves but agree with most of your impression. It’s the most HP boar i own at this point. It does everything else well (especially late steep drops), just didn’t carry speed through the slower sections like I hoped. But TBF, I’m also jumping on it coming from my other boars which were practically designed for that as more DDs for my typical spots’ avg. conditions. I’m going to try to give the Phantom a good run this winter.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I always wonder if the now discontinued Pyzel Shortcut would be a more versatile, less performancey Ghost. A bit wider in the nose and tail and maybe less rocker. Been tempted to order one custom. I like my stock Ghost and it works as adverstised but since I hardly ever ride a shortboard, it feels pretty narrow and knifey when I do.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I always wonder if the now discontinued Pyzel Shortcut would be a more versatile, less performancey Ghost. A bit wider in the nose and tail and maybe less rocker. Been tempted to order one custom. I like my stock Ghost and it works as adverstised but since I hardly ever ride a shortboard, it feels pretty narrow and knifey when I do.
I thought the same

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Yeah man! Stocked! Rode mine yest as well in similar size and shape on a pseudo point right hand bank that hasn't set up in quite some time. Sometimes mine sits on ice for 6 months, but its been a bit of a heater last few weeks. My fav surfing is almost always on this deck.

Last edited:
Reactions: claw87

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
That old Shortcut! That was the precursor to the Ghost and is pretty much how you describe. Available for custom orders anytime.

Reactions: sh3