Pyzel Ghost?

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Best one of his videos and best review of the Ghost. Also my state, so I'm biased. His views on the board are exactly what I think of it. It is a great design for Hatteras and especially the Lighthouse.

I wonder what Jon Pyzel would answer for the reason that it "feels" the way it does. I would suggest that the rocker and where the apex is combined with the shallow concave, wide point where it is and volume where it is joined to that thin, round tail makes the feeling that Brett gets.
Hi--- saw this and I am not sure what you are asking exactly, but the way every board "feels' is just the combination of all the ingredients that go into it. On top of that every surfer gets slightly feelings from each board because they are riding it in their own individual way.

dirtandrib

OTF status
Jan 24, 2011
NC
Hi--- saw this and I am not sure what you are asking exactly, but the way every board "feels' is just the combination of all the ingredients that go into it. On top of that every surfer gets slightly feelings from each board because they are riding it in their own individual way.
Pyzel, your Ghost design is a great board for the NC Outer Banks when it is good. I concur with Brett Barley's "feelings" on the board. My comments about what makes your Ghost "feel" the way it is does is to figure out what boards work the way I want them to so that I can make educated choices in future boards - as I am 45 years old and don't really want to waste a few years of riding more performance designs on boards that don't work for me . A West Coast friend recommended the Ghost to me for Hatteras waves and I found one for a great price and went for it. He was right.

I have question about going up in size for our bigger days in the winter with 20 lbs of neoprene. The stock 6'1 is perfect for me (5'10 x 190) when I am in a 3/2 or less and there is not lots of current and water moving. Can I step up to stock 6'4 for the paddle power in deeper water beach break or does increase in volume and/or length change how it works for a guy my height/size?

Real Water Sports and Atlantic Beach Surf Shop are doing a great job keeping your boards in the rack and the 3 stock Pyzel boards I have had have been the best PU/PE glass jobs I have ever had. Thank your glassers for me.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Pyzel, your Ghost design is a great board for the NC Outer Banks when it is good. I concur with Brett Barley's "feelings" on the board. My comments about what makes your Ghost "feel" the way it is does is to figure out what boards work the way I want them to so that I can make educated choices in future boards - as I am 45 years old and don't really want to waste a few years of riding more performance designs on boards that don't work for me . A West Coast friend recommended the Ghost to me for Hatteras waves and I found one for a great price and went for it. He was right.

I have question about going up in size for our bigger days in the winter with 20 lbs of neoprene. The stock 6'1 is perfect for me (5'10 x 190) when I am in a 3/2 or less and there is not lots of current and water moving. Can I step up to stock 6'4 for the paddle power in deeper water beach break or does increase in volume and/or length change how it works for a guy my height/size?

Real Water Sports and Atlantic Beach Surf Shop are doing a great job keeping your boards in the rack and the 3 stock Pyzel boards I have had have been the best PU/PE glass jobs I have ever had. Thank your glassers for me.
That is good stuff to hear! Thank you.
As for the sizing up issue, one thing that is tough when looking at stock dims is that I am adding width and thickness as the boards get longer, so they can feel quite a bit bigger as they grow. The 6'1'' you have is 19 1/2 '' and the 6'4'' jumps up to 20'' which is a pretty big difference. If I was to design a 6'4'' for you based off your current 6'1'' I would not go that wide at all, more like 19 5/8 or 19 3/4, and probably only up to 2 3/4 thick, not the 2 7/8 that the stock dims are (I am more concerned about the width than the thickness). I could be off here, and maybe you are totally comfortable with that jump, since that is a personal thing.

Jun 23, 2003
North East
That is good stuff to hear! Thank you.
As for the sizing up issue, one thing that is tough when looking at stock dims is that I am adding width and thickness as the boards get longer, so they can feel quite a bit bigger as they grow. The 6'1'' you have is 19 1/2 '' and the 6'4'' jumps up to 20'' which is a pretty big difference. If I was to design a 6'4'' for you based off your current 6'1'' I would not go that wide at all, more like 19 5/8 or 19 3/4, and probably only up to 2 3/4 thick, not the 2 7/8 that the stock dims are (I am more concerned about the width than the thickness). I could be off here, and maybe you are totally comfortable with that jump, since that is a personal thing.
Great perspective! In my case at 5"10 185lb I went with stock(ish) 6'1 & 6'4...both went well but the 6'4 is very very beefy. Next order will likely be 6'2 width/thickness in 6'3 length (perhaps swallowtail.) Also very excited to throw a 6'0 Mini-Padillac into the mix...

Reactions: oeste858