Pyzel Ghost?

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I’ve never liked EPS boards built for OH waves. But lately I’ve realized the weight, glide/momentum, predictability and MUCH better paddle-ability of a polyurethane blank outweigh the lighter, slightly more durable EPS/epoxy builds, even in small wave boards where the “flickyness” of EPS feels lively.
As I’ve gotten older(44), missed 8months in late’21/early’22 due to knee surgery and the glut of new Covid learners, I really value the way a poly board feels going through the water, both when paddling(through a lineup and catching a wave) and surfing a wave(the smooth trimming and performing maneuvers)

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I’ve never liked EPS boards built for OH waves. But lately I’ve realized the weight, glide/momentum, predictability and MUCH better paddle-ability of a polyurethane blank outweigh the lighter, slightly more durable EPS/epoxy builds, even in small wave boards where the “flickyness” of EPS feels lively.
As I’ve gotten older(44), missed 8months in late’21/early’22 due to knee surgery and the glut of new Covid learners, I really value the way a poly board feels going through the water, both when paddling(through a lineup and catching a wave) and surfing a wave(the smooth trimming and performing maneuvers)
You'll be back.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Lol!!! Nah…I sold em all! And I’m not gonna pay fancy high tech construction prices when I don’t even like them anymore
Who have you tried and liked and disliked etc? I no longer paddle into large surf or not very often and only have a step up but its CFT heavy eps/epoxy 6/6 6.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Who have you tried and liked and disliked etc? I no longer paddle into large surf or not very often and only have a step up but its CFT heavy eps/epoxy 6/6 6.
To prevent a full-on thread deretail, I’ll keep it simple. It’s simply EPS boards(NOT epoxy resin) I no longer like to ride. The open cell foam has too much air in it and they want to float up instead of glide forward

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
To prevent a full-on thread deretail, I’ll keep it simple. It’s simply EPS boards(NOT epoxy resin) I no longer like to ride. The open cell foam has too much air in it and they want to float up instead of glide forward
I get it personal preference not a bad experience with a eps/epoxy build:cheers:

Reactions: waxurDyl

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Ok. Curious if you have same impression of Varial or XTR?

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Ok. Curious if you have same impression of Varial or XTR?
No…they feel better than EPS, imo. They feel more natural, but still not as good and smooth as a poly/PU. Don’t forget to add FCD. Like XTR, they also use XPS. I have a few
F-Rockets from Fletch that I will not sell. I think the Varial, XPS or even poly/epoxy route is a very happy medium if you have a small quiver and want your boards to last longer than a traditionally built board. But the flex and weight of poly/pu just feels and rides the best for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
To get this thread back onto Ghosts, I sold this one without trying it. It was ordered with an extra layer of glass on the deck to help increase the weight. But it still felt too light and I knew I would pull different boards from my garage when waves called for a good wave board. I liked my poly/PU and poly/epoxy Ghosts. This is the one I didn’t try, I believe it resides on the east coast now. It sure looks good and the shape itself felt great.
2D285338-0A02-4F71-87DB-43DD1114B0F6.jpeg
29C25022-6B4C-40E5-872E-1531C4E2DFF1.jpeg

And this is the poly/epoxy quiver with a grey resin tint on each of them
2B52D52A-779B-47B5-881C-BFAD27C0B0A3.jpeg
0BB03340-3C61-49EA-98B3-CCFFAF9E16F4.jpeg

Last edited:

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
To get this thread back onto Ghosts, I sold this one without trying it. It was ordered with an extra layer of glass on the deck to help increase the weight. But it still felt too light and I knew I would pull different boards from my garage when waves called for a good wave board. I liked my poly/PU and poly/epoxy Ghosts. This is the one I didn’t try, I believe it resides on the east coast now. It sure looks good and the shape itself felt great.
View attachment 139754
View attachment 139759

And this is the poly/epoxy quiver with a grey resin tint on each of them
View attachment 139756
View attachment 139757
Beautiful boards, but once again let me stress: 29-30 liters, please. Many thanks in advance.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
something we don't discuss is how poly feels paddling
so buttery
I agree but soon forget when I am paddling even my short stubby "cft" with the deck channels and sk8 deck feels so so good then you stand up instant bliss:waving: