Pyzel Ghost?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Have only run mine with medium JJFs. They work well, no need to mess around with fins on this board.

Reactions: j_mac

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Really like my ghost as a quad. Just goes and alleviates the stickiness this board can have IME. Didn't click with JJF's, but sized them M when I normally ride larges. Lacked drive. YU's have worked on one rampy wave locally and recently on Mex trip, which are a M template I believe. AM2's have been pretty good too. Feel like a little rake is good? Not a big upright fin guy so..... I often ride mine in solidish but lesser shape than it is intended for and that's where quad seems come in handy.

Reactions: j_mac
May 9, 2018
I rode mine with medium jjfs which felt good, swapped them out for the pyzel medium full glass fins and it went better again. nothing beats straight fiberglass. so responsive and drivey

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Really like my ghost as a quad. Just goes and alleviates the stickiness this board can have IME. Didn't click with JJF's, but sized them M when I normally ride larges. Lacked drive. YU's have worked on one rampy wave locally and recently on Mex trip, which are a M template I believe. AM2's have been pretty good too. Feel like a little rake is good? Not a big upright fin guy so..... I often ride mine in solidish but lesser shape than it is intended for and that's where quad seems come in handy.
what rears?

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I have liked the HS2 quad set. Have also tried AM2s up front with the HS2 rears which feel a little stiffer.

Something spicy about a round tail quad and this design. All that speed and then the crazy hold of the Ghost on a rail and through turns. For reference I'm 6' 190+ so don't have issues pushing around a large template and why mediums have felt either slow or looked a little to loosey goosey on video footage of myself I have reviewed, which is always humbling. I thought I would look just like JJF on the Ghost!!! :foreheadslap: Maybe its the fins :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I liked glass am1, but I’ve also only ridden mine a handful of times. JJF mediums worked too, just felt like more fin.

really wish I had more need for this boar but I also don’t see myself selling it any time soon.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I liked glass am1, but I’ve also only ridden mine a handful of times. JJF mediums worked too, just felt like more fin.

really wish I had more need for this boar but I also don’t see myself selling it any time soon.
I have liked the HS2 quad set. Have also tried AM2s up front with the HS2 rears which feel a little stiffer.

Something spicy about a round tail quad and this design. All that speed and then the crazy hold of the Ghost on a rail and through turns. For reference I'm 6' 190+ so don't have issues pushing around a large template and why mediums have felt either slow or looked a little to loosey goosey on video footage of myself I have reviewed, which is always humbling. I thought I would look just like JJF on the Ghost!!! :foreheadslap: Maybe its the fins :ROFLMAO:
Cheers.
Only tried mine once as a quad and it felt so wrong- crazy tracky and stiff that I went straight back to thruster (JJF mediums) and haven't gone quad again.

Might have another go.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Haha. I'm neither. But have managed a few trips that yielded Ghost to Ghostish waves recently. Kids are a bit older these days, early teens, and I'm not getting any younger, yolo....... Can't bust out for a longish weekend? Hoping to do a 4-5 day'er out of TJ while visiting SD in mid July for work and get the Ghost wet again.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Ghost is like an "in case of emergency break glass" board.

You know if you have one around or throw one in your boardbag for a trip, you're pretty much good to go if it gets big. I almost never surf "regular" shortboards anymore but I keep the Ghost around just in case and it's so easy to get used to again that there's no problem jumping on it when you need it.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Ghost is like an "in case of emergency break glass" board.

You know if you have one around or throw one in your boardbag for a trip, you're pretty much good to go if it gets big. I almost never surf "regular" shortboards anymore but I keep the Ghost around just in case and it's so easy to get used to again that there's no problem jumping on it when you need it.
yup. One can still dream of ghost-worthy waves...

Jan 10, 2014
Little bit of an older thread but what’s the recommendation for a good wave/hurricane swell board for central Florida? I normally dont surf anything more than a few feet overhead by Fl standards. Ghost, shadow or phantom? Ghost seems to have the most positive reviews but I think the phantom may fit my surfing better. wouldn’t be often when I would be under gunned on a phantom. I’m 5’7 and around 155lbs with a 1 year old and intermediate surfer. My daily driver is between a 5’6 RNF redux and a 5’7 rocket redux I picked up recently. I seem to like flatter rockers and volume forward. I’m fairly heavy on the front foot -maybe it’s being from the gulf-but I have to consciously move my back foot back. Maybe a 5’8 or 5’9 phantom? Thanks in advance

Reactions: MathDebater

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Little bit of an older thread but what’s the recommendation for a good wave/hurricane swell board for central Florida? I normally dont surf anything more than a few feet overhead by Fl standards. Ghost, shadow or phantom? Ghost seems to have the most positive reviews but I think the phantom may fit my surfing better. wouldn’t be often when I would be under gunned on a phantom. I’m 5’7 and around 155lbs with a 1 year old and intermediate surfer. My daily driver is between a 5’6 RNF redux and a 5’7 rocket redux I picked up recently. I seem to like flatter rockers and volume forward. I’m fairly heavy on the front foot -maybe it’s being from the gulf-but I have to consciously move my back foot back. Maybe a 5’8 or 5’9 phantom? Thanks in advance
Stay in the Lost family and look at a swallow sub driver or sabotaj. sabotaj is like a ghost but better low end.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
mayhem’s models for Taj (baby buggy too) always looked fun. I’m just not a ..Lost bro
I was considering a shorter retro gun instead of the ghost, but the shop in my town carries Pyzels. Happy with the ghost but rarely get suitable waves in NJ.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Surfed Freeride76's home point this arvo on my Ghost. Only head high, and pretty average for how good that joint gets, but fcuk it was good.

Should have felt overgunned, but didn't. The board was slick and fast and hit all the angles just right. Bar of soap in a bathtub kind of feeling.

First guy I saw take off as I paddled out was Jai Glindeman, which should have made me feel old and decrepit, but it just inspired me. Sh!t, that guy can surf!

Surfed 4 different spots today, and had fun everywhere. First time out of NZ since Covid hit, and I can't explain how good it feels.

Long story short: The Ghost is a class act, and it doesn't need size, just some quality.