Pyzel Ghost?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Finally have enough surfs under my belt on the 6'2 Swallow Ghost to form an honest opinion. Comparisons between my old 6'3 x 20 x 2 3/4 round pin and new 6'2 x 19 3/4 x 2 3/4 (plus a bee's d!ck) baby swallow.

The new swallow Ghost has significantly more low end. It's much more spritzy than the old one, and it feels like an HPSB with a little extra. Just had two days (8-9 hours, maybe?) in uncrowded point surf, HH to OH+. Not barrelling but bowly and good juice.

I never wished for more board, and even on shoulder high inside runners it felt full of life and energy.

No hairy takeoffs on 2 OH ledgy lefts yet, but will take it to that spot as soon as it breaks.

More later.

Edit: Later :) Another thing that stood out is that it was so so easy to get into waves. Quite a few no paddle dunk takeoffs, and otherwise just a few strokes. Got really lazy - in a good way.

2nd edit: Same fins used. Trusty AM2s.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020
I posted a few months ago to get some inputs about ghost as i'm pretty new surfer and i was at a place with big hollow waves sometimes and you guys helped me a lot. I'm not super experienced in surfing but i hope someone will find interesting what someone with a low level at surfing can think of it, or maybe this will help someone also low level that is curious so here is my input.

I tried a few boards before to make a decision (lost driver which i really liked, one js round tail) and went with a custom ordered pu 6.0 ghost, 6-4/4 glassing, to complement my seaside. Its exactly the board i needed. It paddles well (actually better than my seaside when its choppy despite being pu and 5 liters less) and it takes hollow waves much, much better. i can even do a lot of late drops with it which is a first. Also i feel i have more time to react, like i don't know how to explain, but it is like i have a few seconds to think about what is happening, which direction to go (my previous break was super messy, waves all over the place in every direction and I'm not the best at reading waves so it can be very useful sometimes) and what i want to do, which makes it super forgiving imo.

Overall even for my level it works super well and i find it actually forgiving. Thank you very much guys, for the input, help and so on. Heres a photo of it

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020
Great to read your feedback months after, and stoked you like the board. Did you ever divulge where it is you surf?
Rio de janeiro. This was around 3 weeks ago, close to where i was staying. I got the photo down there from here Watch: Slab Shenanigans in Brazil - Surfline. but yeah ive never went when it was that big, i think the last time ive went during the big swells it was like between 5-8 feet and it was a bad idea

Capture.PNG

I thought it was normal for a ghost... Thank you for pointing it out . I ordered it directly from Pyzel themselves

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I thought it was normal for a ghost... Thank you for pointing it out . I ordered it directly from Pyzel themselves, so it is strange this happenned. I'm ok with it, but yeah i don't know, should i contact them ?
no idea. post it up in the leash plug thread, see what they say.

while you’re at it I notice you don’t have a ‘pyzel’ leash string. we have a thread for that, too.

Sep 12, 2020
Seems like borderline trolling, but if @cros is really now charging slabs on his custom ghost, good for him :shaka: You're making more use out of yours than me!
nooo i am not :ROFLMAO: i only surfed 3 to 6 foot with my ghost yet, im not at that spot right now and even then when i was, after that huge day, if the waves got over like 7 or 8 ft or something i would be scared to death and didnt went surfing. I did not intend to sound like im surfing gigantic waves or anything, just wanted to show that the spot i was is pretty big and can get really hollow so i needed something more adapted than my fat seaside, like the ghost

I still don't know how it is gonna turn out when i will comeback to that specific spot, specially since the swell is pretty big right now i have been told, but i feel in any case it is going to be much more accessible with my ghost now and i am super excited to try it there :applause2:

Last edited:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Hey Maz, how did you get that swallow tail on the Ghost.

I was mucking around with their custom board builder and it wouldn't let me select a swallow as a tail option.

Reactions: Maz

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Rio de janeiro. This was around 3 weeks ago, close to where i was staying. I got the photo down there from here Watch: Slab Shenanigans in Brazil - Surfline.

View attachment 108828

I was there in the januery / february swells, which were even bigger. Imagine me riding that on my seaside :ROFLMAO: and yes i tried... not as big as the pic haha but it was really big, and yes i did miserably fail 9 out of 10 times and i almost drowned at the last wave, before i called it quits. i got one wave though and it was amaziiiing !! idk what i did, maybe i was at the corners ends of the wave but it was sick, i was feeling like a litteral rocket :ROFLMAO:. Also before that i was staying around hossegor, not the friendliest waves lmao but i was going at a smaller break so it was ok

I thought it was normal for a ghost... Thank you for pointing it out . I ordered it directly from Pyzel themselves, so it is strange this happenned. I'm ok with it, but yeah i don't know, should i contact them ?
HI-- first off, Thanks for buying one of my boards! As for the leash plug, it really doesn't matter which way they are installed and will have zero effect on anything. It is typical that the bar would be perpendicular to the stringer, but some glassers will run them parallel. I promise it's not gonna cause you any problems.

Sep 12, 2020
HI-- first off, Thanks for buying one of my boards! As for the leash plug, it really doesn't matter which way they are installed and will have zero effect on anything. It is typical that the bar would be perpendicular to the stringer, but some glassers will run them parallel. I promise it's not gonna cause you any problems.
thank you ! yeah i'm totally fine with it :giggle: thanks for the clarification