Pyzel Ghost?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
This was definitely an experiment for me, so as you can tell I’m very happy it worked out!

So the board is 19 7/8 x 2 13/16 at 35.8 liters and I am 6’4 and 195 lbs. I made it clear that this board would be for 8-12’ solid ocean beach and they recommended going with parallel carbon as I told them HS future flex has been my favorite eps construction so far. Javier said they can control the flex with the number of carbon strips they put in the parallel carbon, which for me they put a bunch.

I am by no means a ripper, but in my 30s I lived and surfed all around Kauai for 10 years, but now am a 46 year old weekend warrior dad in NorCal.

I am visiting Kauai now and had a few days of 6-12’ bombs and the board was amazing. Full confidence on drops and tons of down the line speed, but still maintaining the responsiveness and liveliness of the epoxy feel I like now. I would say the feel is somewhere between the EPS and PU feel. The 8.0 construction also feels more solid than an eps.
oh interesting. good to know.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I just get 6+4/4 with a stringer on my xtr and dont worry about flex. Works good so far. Even did a 6+4/5 on one board.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I just got my fancy flex (SLK CK yellow) XTR ghost out in clean waves for the first time (previously had a stringered ghost). It felt great, while it wasn't a back to back comparison, I think it felt more PU like than the stringered version ever did. Regardless, it reminded me how great the ghost is.

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
So the board is 19 7/8 x 2 13/16 at 35.8 liters and I am 6’4 and 195 lbs.
Perf dims. I'm the same build as you

Full confidence on drops and tons of down the line speed, but still maintaining the responsiveness
Exactly how i'd explain the Ghost. Not sure where the confidence comes from on the drops but makes me feel like I can handle pretty much any size and steepness I'd go out in

Reactions: Havoc

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Can I get some input on ordering a new XTR ghost please? Been riding a stock dims PU 6'5" x 20-3/8" x 3" 39.4L. I use in 6-10' faces firing and/or hollow surf and want to trim down the volume a little to improve late takeoffs under the lip and a little more bite into steep walls and barrels. I am 6'5" and weigh around 205-210.

Here are the options I am weighing.
6'5" x 20-3/8 x 2-7/8 37.67L (just dropping the thickness 1/8" from stock dims you lose nearly 2L)
6'5" x 20-1/8 x 2-7/8 37.27L (this may be getting towards the low end of volume I want for the use of this board)
6'6" x 20-1/8 x 2-7/8 37.67L (extra inch on length seems nice to improve drive and help in bigger waves)

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Can I get some input on ordering a new XTR ghost please? Been riding a stock dims PU 6'5" x 20-3/8" x 3" 39.4L. I use in 6-10' faces firing and/or hollow surf and want to trim down the volume a little to improve late takeoffs under the lip and a little more bite into steep walls and barrels. I am 6'5" and weigh around 205-210.

6'5" x 20-3/8 x 2-7/8 37.67L (just dropping the thickness 1/8" from stock dims you lose nearly 2L)
6'5" x 20-1/8 x 2-7/8 37.27L (this may be getting towards the low end of volume I want for the use of this board)
6'6" x 20-1/8 x 2-7/8 37.67L (extra inch on length seems nice to improve drive and help in bigger waves)

For late takeoffs under the lip, you won’t want the extra length. I say go with the 6’5 and split the difference on the width at 20 1/4. That’s basically what I did with my custom XTR, just shaved off a hair of the width and thickness from the stock dims. Perfecto!

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
6-6 ×20 × 3
Ask for "pro" rails or more tapper

More rail line to drive off of and sensitivity PUMPING in the toob

That's my 2cents
This, I asked for more tapered rails on my last ghost and they came out great at 2.75".

Reactions: ZeeHawk

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Has anyone asked for tapered rails from XTR and got good results? I feel safer just taking the 1/8" off and going 2-7/8".

Also. Has anyone tried a ghost with channel bottom yet?

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
Been really impressed with the Ghost and looking to order a Pyzel daily driver. I'm thinking either a 6'2" Phantom or Pyzalien 2. Looking at the Pyzel site they're very similar in plan shape with a more nose and tail rocker in the Pyzalien. The dims aren't on the site but sounds like a little more refined overall. Leaning towards the Pyzalien since it has some Vee off the tail and I dig that rail to rail action. Surf at my local tends to be on the slopey side but there's are a few hollow spots I go to regularly as well. Thoughts anyone?

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Been really impressed with the Ghost and looking to order a Pyzel daily driver. I'm thinking either a 6'2" Phantom or Pyzalien 2. Looking at the Pyzel site they're very similar in plan shape with a more nose and tail rocker in the Pyzalien. The dims aren't on the site but sounds like a little more refined overall. Leaning towards the Pyzalien since it has some Vee off the tail and I dig that rail to rail action. Surf at my local tends to be on the slopey side but there's are a few hollow spots I go to regularly as well. Thoughts anyone?

Quoting myself from another thread;

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

177cm and 83KG (nearly 40, fit, surfing since 13 y/o, front footed surfer)
(I’ll let you do the conversion to freedom units)

I bought a stock 5.10’ Phantom, and it’s the board by which all other boards will be measured by. Simply put, I feel it’s the best board I have had in years. My famiy’s been criticising me for boards revolving in and out of my quiver, and I’ve had some hits and some misses. Over all, there’s been initial froth over a new shooter, but not long after I’d pick on something I didn’t like. This is obviously reflective of me being a sh!t surfer, but then again, most of us are sh!t. The Phantom however, I cannot fault.

It has enough* speed, and I love the way it feels when I pump and work the rails. Takeoffs are easier (presumably because of the wider point forward), and it whips off the top with ease. I think Stab put it best here, where they mention that it’s just a board that let’s you surf to your capability without any weirdness

Only tried it thus far with Large aircore FCS2 AM fins, and would certainly recommend trying out bigger fins to drive you through the flat spots you mention. Have you tried it as a quad yet… Noel Salsa seems to have loved that set up more than the thruster, and it certainly seemed better in the comparative footage.

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I've since surfed it with large matt Biolos FCS fins, and it's even better (both as as thruster and quad)

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Absolutely love my stock phantom (also a 5’10”) and considering a pyzalien for my next sb/daily driver. The pyzalien dims are just a touch skinnier/longer. The wider swallow does seem like it would change things up a bit. Guys seem to love the pyzalien but really don’t see too much feedback on it.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Absolutely love my stock phantom (also a 5’10”) and considering a pyzalien for my next sb/daily driver. The pyzalien dims are just a touch skinnier/longer. The wider swallow does seem like it would change things up a bit. Guys seem to love the pyzalien but really don’t see too much feedback on it.
I just read Waxfoot’s review, and was wondering how the Phantom differs from the Pyzalien. Can’t fault the Pyzalien, but enquiring minds want to know, and as I love my Ghost the Phantom could be excellent.

ZeeHawk

OTF status
Apr 13, 2018
Big Asian Island
Quoting myself from another thread;

177cm and 83KG (nearly 40, fit, surfing since 13 y/o, front footed surfer)
(I’ll let you do the conversion to freedom units)

I bought a stock 5.10’ Phantom, and it’s the board by which all other boards will be measured by. Simply put, I feel it’s the best board I have had in years. My famiy’s been criticising me for boards revolving in and out of my quiver, and I’ve had some hits and some misses. Over all, there’s been initial froth over a new shooter, but not long after I’d pick on something I didn’t like. This is obviously reflective of me being a sh!t surfer, but then again, most of us are sh!t. The Phantom however, I cannot fault.

It has enough* speed, and I love the way it feels when I pump and work the rails. Takeoffs are easier (presumably because of the wider point forward), and it whips off the top with ease. I think Stab put it best here, where they mention that it’s just a board that let’s you surf to your capability without any weirdness

Only tried it thus far with Large aircore FCS2 AM fins, and would certainly recommend trying out bigger fins to drive you through the flat spots you mention. Have you tried it as a quad yet… Noel Salsa seems to have loved that set up more than the thruster, and it certainly seemed better in the comparative footage.

I've since surfed it with large matt Biolos FCS fins, and it's even better (both as as thruster and quad)
Thanks for re-posting your review. The Phantom sounds pretty great.

Reactions: waxfoot

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

I'd go 6'6 x 19.5" x 3" and ask for 2.75" rails and enjoy hooking it under the lip. I'm willing to bet that dropping width is going to have a bigger positive influence than length or thickness. Between 6'5 and 6'6 I'd guess that thickness comes second.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I ended up going 6'6 x 20-3/8 x 2-7/8. The width never seemed to bother me on the stick 6'5" it was more so the overall volume.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I was browsing XTR stock boards page. if I had the coin, I'd pull the trigger and see what all the Ghost fuss is about.
As a PSA, just gonna leave this here...

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Did some light ding work on my Ghost yesterday and today, then gave it a good clean and a new wax job.

Apart from my usual dents where I lay my back foot over, and two very shallow front foot dents, the board looks incredible. This is after three years of frequent use at rocky reefs, and lots of travelling.

So stoked to surf it again now :)

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I have to say... I didn't really love the Ghost at first. I didn't think it was bad or anything but it wasn't really a board I would reach for often.

This year I've had a chance to surf it more and play around with fins and bit and I have to say I'm really feeling it now. Took it out one day on a super clean 6' - 8' high tide inner bar day and really clicked with the board. Now I totally get it and understand why people love them. I couldn't believe the drops I was making or the amount of speed I was able to generate down the line while staying in control. Epic.

Gonna extend the Ghost quiver for next winter for sure.