Pyzel Ghost?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
My non pro cadaver got a heavy barrel on my non pro Ghost today. Damn, it's a good board!

Jul 29, 2019
Hi guys, I'm 6'0" 220lb from South West Australia. I've felt up this board a few times but I'm unsure if I should go 6'6" or 6'8". Any bigger (or not so big) guys have any feedback on the larger dims?

Further info:

-I've been surfing 25 years and have reasonable paddle fitness
-This will be for a step up/travel board
-Current DD is a DHD 6'4" x 21" x 2 3/4" EPS Black Diamond at 39L which has been working really well for me the past few months
-I'm not scared of length...Up until the DHD I hadn't ridden any shortboard smaller that 6'7".

Cheers.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
barney79 said:
Hi guys, I'm 6'0" 220lb from South West Australia. I've felt up this board a few times but I'm unsure if I should go 6'6" or 6'8". Any bigger (or not so big) guys have any feedback on the larger dims?

Further info:

-Current DD is a DHD 6'4" x 21" x 2 3/4" EPS Black Diamond at 39L which has been working really well for me the past few months
-I'm not scared of length...Up until the DHD I hadn't ridden any shortboard smaller that 6'7".

Cheers.
If you are looking for a DD I would recommend that you go on the shorter side for sure. The Ghost rides a little bit long for the length. I would also recommend you take a look at the Shadow.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
cdes said:
Just picked up a lightly used 6'5 Ghost after selling a board this weekend. Dims say it is 39.4L but it feels much thinner than that. I usually ride about 36L. Now I am a bit worried that I undersized it . Anybody else felt this way? Are dims misleading on this shape or is the foam really well hidden? I'll have to wait for some juice to find out for myself.
The volume is fine. These things redline on length before volume in my experience. 6'5" is good for up to DOH for me.

Reactions: ZeeHawk

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
barney79 said:

Further info:

Cheers.
What type of waves? I'd probably go 6'6" either way, but especially if its reef/pocket type of waves. Im around 210-215 and I got a 6'5" which works great.

Reactions: ZeeHawk

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
anyone catch the PyzAlien II in Pyzel's IG story yesterday shaping the Algae foam blank? paging Pyzel :shrug:
first off, how's the new foam? second what's the PyzAlien II

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
surfy1476 said:
What type of waves? I'd probably go 6'6" either way, but especially if its reef/pocket type of waves. Im around 210-215 and I got a 6'5" which works great.
He's in SW Australia... the good kind! :D

stu dog said:
anyone catch the PyzAlien II in Pyzel's IG story yesterday shaping the Algae foam blank? paging Pyzel :shrug:
first off, how's the new foam? second what's the PyzAlien II
Good call out, also watched that with interest!

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Any of you guys riding a squash version with a little extra width for use as an every day board? I have a 6'3" ghost that has probably been my favorite board of all time. Usually use it when waves are chest up. Thinking of dropping some length, changing the tail, and going a little wider on a xtr to use it in the more every day conditions around SD. Curious if other guys have tried this and what they thought of a squash tail on this design. I picked up a Phantom which should of been this, but for whatever reason it just didn't click like a ghost and I ended up selling it since I could surf the ghost better in similar conditions.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Any of you guys riding a squash version with a little extra width for use as an every day board? I have a 6'3" ghost that has probably been my favorite board of all time. Usually use it when waves are chest up. Thinking of dropping some length, changing the tail, and going a little wider on a xtr to use it in the more every day conditions around SD. Curious if other guys have tried this and what they thought of a squash tail on this design. I picked up a Phantom which should of been this, but for whatever reason it just didn't click like a ghost and I ended up selling it since I could surf the ghost better in similar conditions.
How did you size your Phantom compared to your Ghost?

Really does seem like a Phantom's exactly what you're describing...

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I thought for sure I would like the phantom. I gave it a long run and tried different fin setups until finally giving up on it. The Phantom was a stock 6' x 20 x 2 9/16" 32.6L versus the stock 6'3"x 19 7/8" x 2 3/4" 34.3L ghost. Liters is a little less but I'm usually on boards between 32-35. On a chest high wave for example I could get into it easier, connect turns easier, and just overall surf it better. I would think that would be optimal Phantom territory. Overhead days, the ghost would obviously be better. One day at a chest high session, i ended up getting back out the water to swap to the ghost after having a rough morning on the phantom and instantly felt the difference and turned the session around. I have a Gremlin i surf in really small stuff that gels nicely with me, so i have pretty much been surfing the gremlin/ghost as a combo. Would be nice to have something in between them that has a sweet spot in that chest range for most typical days here which got me thinking about maybe detuning the ghost a little.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I thought for sure I would like the phantom. I gave it a long run and tried different fin setups until finally giving up on it. The Phantom was a stock 6' x 20 x 2 9/16" 32.6L versus the stock 6'3"x 19 7/8" x 2 3/4" 34.3L ghost. Liters is a little less but I'm usually on boards between 32-35. On a chest high wave for example I could get into it easier, connect turns easier, and just overall surf it better. I would think that would be optimal Phantom territory. Overhead days, the ghost would obviously be better. One day at a chest high session, i ended up getting back out the water to swap to the ghost after having a rough morning on the phantom and instantly felt the difference and turned the session around. I have a Gremlin i surf in really small stuff that gels nicely with me, so i have pretty much been surfing the gremlin/ghost as a combo. Would be nice to have something in between them that has a sweet spot in that chest range for most typical days here which got me thinking about maybe detuning the ghost a little.
2 liters less is not crazy but it's significant. I don't think just a slightly wider squash tailed ghost is really going to give you the feeling you're after. It's still a good wave rocker, concave and foil. I had mixed feelings about my Phantom at first whereas I clicked with my first Ghost right away. Ultimately I dig the board but I think I would like it better at a longer length. Phantom is 6'1 and my Ghosts are 6'3 and 6'5". I think the shorter length makes the Phantom less forgiving. It feels like it has a small sweet spot. It doesn't grovel as well as I'd hoped but in fun sized waves with a little push it's a totally fun. I've ridden the crap out of mine both in Mex and here in Oregon.

I somewhat recently got a 6'3" Shadow (all my pyzel are XTR) and that board clicked with me right away. I don't know if the Phantom is completely replaced by it but it definitely feels like it has a similar low end and when the waves have some shape the thing goes off. It's got a little extra nose rocker which gives it a little more catch free feeling compared to Phantom but it still paddles and catches waves a little better due to long length. It definitely feels more stable and like it has a larger sweet spot and it knifes into late drops almost as well as a Ghost but it just has a bit more glide over flat spots and is more fun in marginal conditions. If you're thinking squashy Ghost this would be the one I'd look at. Maybe an inch or two shorter than the Ghost.

I haven't tried a Stubby Bastard but Todd has and there's no one I trust more for surfboard recommendations.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Thanks guys, haven't really looked at those models. Will have to make a trip to feel up some stubby bastards & shadows.

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
It does really sound like a Shadow might be the board for what you are after. It's a user friendly HPSB based off the Ghost but tweaked a bit to improve the lower end performance. The Phantom is quite literally a squashed down, wider nose/tail version of the Ghost which can sometimes be a little tricky in more bowly types of waves. The Shadow has a narrower nose/tail and more overall curve in the rocker to fit into those tighter transitions but still keep things flowing in weaker waves.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Hey Pyzel! Any thoughts on shortening and widening the Shadow? I'm a tall fella (6'3) but like to ride daily drivers around 6'1 so that they fit in the pocket of average sized waves. Have a 6'1 Phantom that I love, but it's a touch wide and could use some nose rocker for where I surf (beach break). Would a 6'1 x 19.75 x 2 5/8 Shadow work against the design of this board, which is intended to be a little longer and narrower?

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
It does really sound like a Shadow might be the board for what you are after. It's a user friendly HPSB based off the Ghost but tweaked a bit to improve the lower end performance. The Phantom is quite literally a squashed down, wider nose/tail version of the Ghost which can sometimes be a little tricky in more bowly types of waves. The Shadow has a narrower nose/tail and more overall curve in the rocker to fit into those tighter transitions but still keep things flowing in weaker waves.
What's up with the PyzAlien II?