Pyzel Ghost?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Looking for input from anyone who's felt one up, or at least had a good look.

Dims only tell a tiny bit of the full story, and I'm curious to know how bladed out and gunny they are. By the sound of things, there's plenty of chunk.

Having fallen in love with tail rocker at a late stage in life, I'm looking to replace my Mini Driver (drawn out step up - 6'3 x 19 1/2), and two boards really speak to me: DHD Sweet Spot 2.0 and Pyzel Ghost. I'd mostly surf this at my local reef/point at shoulder high to near 2xOH, so decent performance at less than magic conditions is a must.

I'm somewhat familiar with both shapers' boards (have a DHD Black Diamond and Pyzalien), and both impress. What say you?

Reactions: morrisone

guilhermelv

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 4, 2010
I haven't felt one up but from the description I believe its a more bladed and pulled in version of the Shortcut.

I have a Mini Driver and a Shortcut, both with the same thickness, and Shortcut's rails are definitely more foiled :shrug:

guilhermelv

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 4, 2010
You're welcome :cheers:

Hopefully Tanner or Pyzel will chime in but unless you're surfing a really hollow wave, I think the Shortcut would be more versatile and would work perfectly on the wave range you mentioned. I'd order one around my height for that wave range.

Jan 14, 2016
I have looked at the Ghost for myself (I already have a heap of Pyzels - Slab 2.0's x 2, Amigo's x 2, Bastard, Next Step and a Short Bastard (not released - done as a personal request by combining the Bastard with the Short Round).
I also have a Nugget and a Stubby Bastard on order lol.
I personally feel that the Ghost would be perfect for hollow, barreling down the line waves.
If the wave has barrel sections and walls up for some turns then I find my round tail Bastard the best model up to around 2 x overhead, after that the Next Step comes into play.

Reactions: MathDebater

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
MidWestAus said:
I have looked at the Ghost for myself (I already have a heap of Pyzels - Slab 2.0's x 2, Amigo's x 2, Bastard, Next Step and a Short Bastard (not released - done as a personal request by combining the Bastard with the Short Round).
I also have a Nugget and a Stubby Bastard on order lol.
I personally feel that the Ghost would be perfect for hollow, barreling down the line waves.
If the wave has barrel sections and walls up for some turns then I find my round tail Bastard the best model up to around 2 x overhead, after that the Next Step comes into play.
That's quite the quiver!
Curious about the Slab 2.0, too. Was thinking of a roundtail 6'0 for when my Pyzalien finally caves in.

Jan 14, 2016
I've had a few good surfs on my Slab 2.0.
For me I find it works best in flatter / weaker waves but it tends to feel like it has a little too much volume in the rails for me when I turn.
I'm interested to see how the Nugget compares to the Slab 2.0 in these kind of waves.

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
Glad to see you guys are excited about The Ghost! :cheers:

Some correct info has already been stated above, specifically that The Ghost is based on the Short Cut, but here's my backstory :grin:

Jon, Dean (who runs our day to day in Hawaii) and I were at the Surf Expo show back in January, working with our largest East Coast account.

We were talking about the Short Cut and the two buyers were telling us how much they liked the personal Short Cuts they ordered, but that some customers provided feedback on the larger sizes (over 6'2) saying they thought there was a little too much foam up front.

Dean looks at Jon and says 'We should make these guys a Ghost to look at'.

Me and the two buyers look at each other and all say 'What the hell is the Ghost?' :roflmao:

Jon's description, from the site:

The Ghost is a board we've been making for team riders and friends for a couple of years now, and finally decided to put it on the "menu" after all the good feedback.
Designed for riding hollow, more powerful types of waves, the Ghost is a great for reef breaks, or pulling into draining, dumpy beachies, and also excels in long,drawn out point waves.

Based off the Short Cut, the Ghost out line is more refined, but still has the wide point pushed a bit forward of center, keeping the nose area down to help fit into a tighter curve.

The rocker is med/low thorough the front half to get you into waves easily and pick up speed quickly. The rear end has plenty of curve through it for control and responsiveness. There is single concave through the bottom, with a double concave set inside that which adds up to speed with easy, sensitive control.

The thickness is also pushed forward, which helps even more with getting you into a hollow wave and we kept the back end thinner to help hold through barrels and turns at speed.

The Ghost is a great travel board, and could be considered a one board quiver for any surf trip with good, hollow waves on the menu.

We recommend you order your Ghost anywhere from your height to 6 inches over, a touch wider and 1/8 to 1/4 thicker than your everyday shorty.

Comes with a round tail, but we can make you anything you like custom.

:cheers:

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
This is a stock 6'2, that's sitting just outside my door....... :grin:

6'2 x 19 3/4 x 2 11/16 with 32.8 Liters

Like most people here, I love seeing surfboards with amazing outlines, and I think this is the one I've been most excited about.......... plain and simple, it's a beautiful surfboard.

Jan 14, 2016
Nice looking board.
Correct me if I'm wrong but JJF surfed Bastards and Next Steps in the Tahiti comp - I would have thought that the Ghost might have been on the menu?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Tanner said:
This is a stock 6'2, that's sitting just outside my door....... :grin:

6'2 x 19 3/4 x 2 11/16 with 32.8 Liters

Like most people here, I love seeing surfboards with amazing outlines, and I think this is the one I've been most excited about.......... plain and simple, it's a beautiful surfboard.

That's exactly the size I'm after!

And you're right, Tanner. That is a sweet outline.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Ordering a 6'3 Ghost today - and a 5'10 Wing Swallow Nugget. Getting pretty excited :)

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Tanner said:
Jon, Dean (who runs our day to day in Hawaii) and I were at the Surf Expo show back in January, working with our largest East Coast account.
- that's gotta be real water sports. they have a ton of pyzels.

good reviews as well. check their website.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
jkb said:
Beautiful board Maz! :facelick:

I can think of a couple spots that board will feel right at home.
Props, The Island, White Rock, secret left :)