Pyzel Ghost?

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
I think, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that Pyzel commented in this thread or another thread that the Ghost Pro is just a slimmer set of stock dimensions for the Ghost. A 6-10 would definitely extend your range upward range as far as having more paddle ability and more rail line.
That makes sense. I guess the question then is how would a stretched out Ghost compare to traditional semi-guns like a Rusty Blackbird or Lost Double Up.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
That makes sense. I guess the question then is how would a stretched out Ghost compare to traditional semi-guns like a Rusty Blackbird or Lost Double Up.
My concern with going really long on a Ghost is with a volume/width forward design you have the sweet spot shifted forward so you paddle it and pop up from further forward and then have to shift back a bit more to turn whereas with a more "traditional" step up the sweet spot is a little more centered so there's a little less shuffling needed.

My Blackbird is a 6-10 with slimmer custom dims and I'm always impressed by how easily my feet seem to find the sweet spot and now well it turns for a bigger board.

I haven't felt up a Double-Up yet but I just checked out the profile and it looks good to me. Kool-Aid is our resident gun expert with a lot more experience on these type of boards than I so hopefully he will chime in.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I think it's doable for sure I'd be a little bit hesitant to go above a 6'8 in a Ghost personally. I'd call it a dimension and usage consideration so what you need or plan on ordering might have a significant impact on board choice. At some point, you're going to be better off going with a board that's designed for dims in that range but you should definitely ask the Pyzel team (Hawaii guys only) what they think.

There are some vids of guys ripping 6'6 and 6'8 Ghost on Pyzels insta so I think that's a safe bet and I'm planning on ordering something like that. But I'd keep them narrow and use them for performance surfing in bigger waves. Example dims might be 6'4 x 19.25 x 2.75 and 6'8 x 19.25 x 2.8 at least for myself. You can probably go a bit wider but I wouldn't fray too far from that approach.

If I wanted to go a bit wider and get a board that was 6'10 x 19.5 x 2.85+, for instance, I'd probably just be asking about the Padillac which I happen to think looks pretty sweet scaled down to that size. I get a good amount of mileage out of both these types of shapes so that's how I think about it.

From an outline/foil perspective, I agree with Aruka that stretching out a ghost too far is going to make for an awkward board unless it's sized as a big guy step up shortboard. I've often extolled the virtues of wide point forward step-ups and guns. When they're shaped/sized correctly you don't have any issues with foot placement and apex and they just paddle/catch/handle waves so much better than traditional step up shapes.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Who's got a shorter Ghost for DD duties?

I'm thinking of a Pyzel double order, in fact two Ghosts:
- 6'4 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/4 for good waves (solid OH and more)
- 6'1 x 19 3/4 x 2 3/4 Swallow for shoulder high to well OH reefs and points (our usual fare here - when it's not dead flat or knee high longboard stuff).

The two things I'm really curious about are how they go around your height (I'm 6'1 x 180), and how well a swallow tail complements the shorter lengths. I generally love swallows for extra drive and squirt.

Edit: I have a stock 6'3 Ghost, which I've ridden 100s of times over the last 4 years. I know the board well, just curious about anyone's experience with a shorter Ghost for DD'ish duties :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I'm 5' 9.5 160# and I've got a stoke dims ghost 5'11 x 19 1/8 x 2 1/2 28.3L.

It goes great from head high until solidly overhead for me at various beach breaks. Beyond that I run out of the skill/strength to pilot it and grab a bigger board. I think that's basically the intention of the stock dims - ride around your hight as a bigger-wave hpsb. If that's a DD for you I'm jealous :p.

Edit: I should say for shoulder high waves it's not my favorite. Its missing some zip and the narrow tail is sticky unless you're moving fast.

Reactions: noise and Aruka

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
That's my current Ghost setup, ehiunno. 6'3 stock, and I'm 6'1. It's definitely a step up.

I was curious about a shorter one my height, with a slightly wider swallow.

Reactions: Aruka

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
I'm 5'11 175lbs and ride the stock 6'1. I find that it works here in Bali from stomach high to double overhead. It's the most capable board that I've had here in Indo. It feels a little too big sometimes when I really go after a turn on a big open face. I'd like to try a stock 6'0.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
That's my current Ghost setup, ehiunno. 6'3 stock, and I'm 6'1. It's definitely a step up.

I was curious about a shorter one my height, with a slightly wider swallow.
Who's got a shorter Ghost for DD duties?

I'm thinking of a Pyzel double order, in fact two Ghosts:
- 6'4 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/4 for good waves (solid OH and more)
- 6'1 x 19 3/4 x 2 3/4 Swallow for shoulder high to well OH reefs and points (our usual fare here - when it's not dead flat or knee high longboard stuff).

The two things I'm really curious about are how they go around your height (I'm 6'1 x 180), and how well a swallow tail complements the shorter lengths. I generally love swallows for extra drive and squirt.

Edit: I have a stock 6'3 Ghost, which I've ridden 100s of times over the last 4 years. I know the board well, just curious about anyone's experience with a shorter Ghost for DD'ish duties :)
I am 6'3" 180 and I have a 6'5" and 6'3" Ghost. Both custom XTR's.

I think dims are:

6'3" x 19.5 x 2.5 30.5L
6'5" x 19.25 x 2.5 31L

TBH I love the shorter one. The 6'5" was my first one and I liked it a lot but it definitely needs some full on juice to come alive and overall just feels more like a step up. The shorter one definitely has a little more low end just being shorter and wider. I had probably one of the best sessions of my life on it in DOH point waves two winters ago in Baja and many good sessions at home in all sorts of different waves. It still isn't what I'd choose for under head high waves unless they are really powerful and/or tubing. I also have a Shadow at 6'3" which is a lot more fun in marginal surf while still maintaining a bit of that Ghost DNA.

I'm about 10 lbs. heavier than when I got those Ghosts and I've been considering getting a new one with more volume for this winter. Was thinking 6'4" x 19 1/2 x 2 5/8 or even thicker.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Finally took my new Ghost out in somewhat decent surf. Board feels really good. I can see what the hype is about. I'm 6'2 220 and riding a 6'5 ghost in XTR in stock dims. Stocked.

I have a 6'4 Fever which definitely has a much better low range. But the Ghost feels so much better in powerful waves. I took a really late drop and the board knifed in with no issues.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Finally took my new Ghost out in somewhat decent surf. Board feels really good. I can see what the hype is about. I'm 6'2 220 and riding a 6'5 ghost in XTR in stock dims. Stocked.

I have a 6'4 Fever which definitely has a much better low range. But the Ghost feels so much better in powerful waves. I took a really late drop and the board knifed in with no issues.
It is a superb knifer-inner! :)